90 minute Q&A - All fitness and weight loss related please

Options

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I've been reading and pimping your posts for over a year now, and I finally have a question! Last year I was doing no more than an hour of cardio 3x a week, and what I thought of as strength training 3x a week (Jillian type stuff with 8 lb DBs because it was enough to fatigue my muscles then). I started lifting "heavier" around October last year. The last 8 months were more stressful than normal, and I gained back almost 30 lbs. My brain told me to put on my running shoes and go when I felt stressed, but I couldn't leave the house when it was happening, and shoved food in my face instead. I became much less consistent with cardio, but kept up with lifting (one round of NROLFW, and just completed my first 5-week cycle of AllPro).

My tracking has sucked most days, but I thought if I was eating enough to gain weight, I should've made strength gains as well. I can't get past 20 lbs for the shoulder press or curls (final week of AllPro is 12 reps). I was up to 25 lbs for the shoulder press in NROLFW until the last stage, which increased reps from 10 to 15, and had to drop to 15 lbs so I could finish the reps. Is there a general range of time to see strength gains? I see my friends hitting PRs all the time, and I feel like a twerp still struggling with 20s. My ultimate goal is to preserve muscle and lose fat, I've just been curious about this for the last few weeks because of my inability to progress. I hope I didn't just make your head spin. Thank you for all of the great information you post, and for taking the time to answer questions!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that the row machine is going to hurt. It's essentially repetitive quarter/half squats during the first stage of the motion.
    This caught my eye because I like using the rower for warm up - just around 5-6 minutes before I begin the strength training workout, and I do 10-15 minutes rowing as part of my cardio routine which includes a bit of elliptical and some cycling, on the non lifting days.

What's your take on rowing as a warmup before squats? Is it good or does it, perhaps, end up fatiguing the legs too much? My strength training routine is the AllPro routine - progressive loading-deloading routine that keeps the weights static for 5 weeks while reps go from 8-12, and then the weights are increased by 10% only if form with 12 reps is good. I started lifting a few months back and while I have progressed, my weights are fairly light so far (as a % of my body weight)

I think 5 or so minutes on the rower is perfectly fine before strength training. Just remember, the goal of the warm up is to get blood flowing and, shocker, warm up your body. You shouldn't be making this a mini-workout unto itself. If you're not, then fatiguing your legs shouldn't be a concern.

Put differently, the rower isn't the issue... it's how you choose to use it that can turn into a detriment to your strength training.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    3. This form of training is glycogen depleting, which helps with partitioning (where calories are going and coming from)
    Can you explain a bit about this?

Doesn't glycogen depletion mean "bonking". I thought that was a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing in this context. By depleting glycogen at the muscle level, we're essentially opening up a storage depot for incoming calories.

You're thinking of "bonking" in relation to endurance based activities and that's not at all what we're referring to here.
    I primarily use swimming and run-walk intervals for my cardio. I have a tendency to blood pressure regulation issues when exercising (vasovagal sycope). In swimming, I can keep up a high level of exertion because it is a horizontal activity. I do laps as hard as I can without stopping and after about 45 minutes to an hour, my muscles are screaming and I am spent. With running, I can't go as hard because the upright position combined with the bouncing sometimes brings out the sudden blood pressure drop (making me faint). So, with running, I've been doing short run-walk intervals. Run-walking is SO much easier than swimming and I rarely feel any muscle soreness. I run of energy before my muscles feel taxed at all. That usually happens sometime around 90 minutes or so.

Should this be a signal to stop? On the weekends, I would have time to go out for longer periods like 3-hours or so. Should I be purposefully avoiding the bonk (by eating energy chews etc) or trying to train my body to get along longer with less glycogen by trying to push past the bonk? Eating the chews feels counter productive. Why bother running longer to just eat more calories? Should I split my run into morning and night to go for more total minutes?

To clarify, I have no interest in training for a race. I don't care about getting better at running or "improving performance". I just want to configure the running to burn as much fat as humanly possible.

(I've lost about 60 pounds so far but am still 15 pounds away from normal BMI for my height. I also strength train at the gym with weights. I net around 1500 cals per day.)

Thanks so much!

As of the rest of your message, it's pertaining to endurance based activities and that's not the context of my statement. I'm far from an endurance coach.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I've been reading and pimping your posts for over a year now, and I finally have a question! Last year I was doing no more than an hour of cardio 3x a week, and what I thought of as strength training 3x a week (Jillian type stuff with 8 lb DBs because it was enough to fatigue my muscles then). I started lifting "heavier" around October last year. The last 8 months were more stressful than normal, and I gained back almost 30 lbs. My brain told me to put on my running shoes and go when I felt stressed, but I couldn't leave the house when it was happening, and shoved food in my face instead. I became much less consistent with cardio, but kept up with lifting (one round of NROLFW, and just completed my first 5-week cycle of AllPro).

My tracking has sucked most days, but I thought if I was eating enough to gain weight, I should've made strength gains as well. I can't get past 20 lbs for the shoulder press or curls (final week of AllPro is 12 reps). I was up to 25 lbs for the shoulder press in NROLFW until the last stage, which increased reps from 10 to 15, and had to drop to 15 lbs so I could finish the reps. Is there a general range of time to see strength gains? I see my friends hitting PRs all the time, and I feel like a twerp still struggling with 20s. My ultimate goal is to preserve muscle and lose fat, I've just been curious about this for the last few weeks because of my inability to progress. I hope I didn't just make your head spin. Thank you for all of the great information you post, and for taking the time to answer questions!

Maybe I'm misreading you, but from what I understood, you increased rep ranges over the time period. That in itself makes the ability to monitor strength gains very murky. Of course you're not going to be able to increase load if you're increasing reps per set over time, right?

You're also picking some of the smallest exercises in existence to monitor strength gains. I would monitor strength with big things like squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, etc.

If I'm missing the mark here, please clarify and I'll revise my response.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What an awesome read - you've answered a lot of questions that I had floating around in my head! I do a fair bit of walking with my dogs and I also love my archery. I do have asthma so some types of exercise are a little daunting for me - kind of like the idea of Zumba but certainly not up for insanity! Would you have anything to suggest that would help? Just to give you a little info, I'm 56 years, 5' 4" tall, start weight was 215lb in Jan and currently 179lb (slow but sure and happy with that). Oh and I had a dodgy hip which seems to have resolved itself with the weight loss YAY! Thank you so much for doing this :)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    What an awesome read - you've answered a lot of questions that I had floating around in my head! I do a fair bit of walking with my dogs and I also love my archery. I do have asthma so some types of exercise are a little daunting for me - kind of like the idea of Zumba but certainly not up for insanity! Would you have anything to suggest that would help? Just to give you a little info, I'm 56 years, 5' 4" tall, start weight was 215lb in Jan and currently 179lb (slow but sure and happy with that). Oh and I had a dodgy hip which seems to have resolved itself with the weight loss YAY! Thank you so much for doing this :)

Hmm, help with what? All forms and doses of exercise carry specific benefits... so the training has to match the goal or response you're trying to achieve.
  • tammylynntyler
    tammylynntyler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a question about push ups. I am a 45 year old women, always been in good health and work out regularly doing a variety of running, lifting weights and HIIT routines. For the last two years I have included push ups. I just recently became able to do ~2 legitimate ones. But no more. I find this very curious since my body gets muscular pretty easily and I equate 'muscular' with 'strength'. It doesn't bother me if I never get better than that but it does make me curious if factors such as body mechanics, ease of gaining muscle mass, can be so different that some folks are just not built to achieve certain moves? Are people that different or am I way wimpier in my workout than I think I am? Can't do a pull up either. : ) 5'4" ~130lb.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I have a question about push ups. I am a 45 year old women, always been in good health and work out regularly doing a variety of running, lifting weights and HIIT routines. For the last two years I have included push ups. I just recently became able to do ~2 legitimate ones. But no more. I find this very curious since my body gets muscular pretty easily and I equate 'muscular' with 'strength'. It doesn't bother me if I never get better than that but it does make me curious if factors such as body mechanics, ease of gaining muscle mass, can be so different that some folks are just not built to achieve certain moves? Are people that different or am I way wimpier in my workout than I think I am? Can't do a pull up either. : ) 5'4" ~130lb.

The majority of women can't do solid pushups and pullups. When matched for weight, lower body strength tends to be pretty similar between men and women. When matched for weight for upper body strength through, there's a very large difference between most men and women. Which makes sense. Men carry a lot more muscle up top.

And yeah, sure. Biomechanics and anthropometry are HUGE when it comes to certain lifts being easier or more appropriate for some lifters vs. others.
  • paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think 5 or so minutes on the rower is perfectly fine before strength training. Just remember, the goal of the warm up is to get blood flowing and, shocker, warm up your body. You shouldn't be making this a mini-workout unto itself. If you're not, then fatiguing your legs shouldn't be a concern.

Put differently, the rower isn't the issue... it's how you choose to use it that can turn into a detriment to your strength training.
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply. No, I don't overdo it on the rower - as you said, I use it to just get my arms/back/legs warmed up - it seemed to be better for an all body warmup than most other cardio options. I just hadn't thought of it as a series of semi-squats!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    3. This form of training is glycogen depleting, which helps with partitioning (where calories are going and coming from)

It's not a bad thing in this context. By depleting glycogen at the muscle level, we're essentially opening up a storage depot for incoming calories.

You're thinking of "bonking" in relation to endurance based activities and that's not at all what we're referring to here.
    [/quote][/quote]
    Ah, okay. I didn't realize there were different methods of using glycogen depletion. I've only been lifting weights for eighteen months, so I'm still too much of a noob for your more advanced recommendations in that area. Thanks for taking the time to respond and clarify. With the avalanche of fitness information out there, it can be confusing to weed through and figure out what advice applies to our own situations. Thanks again!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

Maybe I'm misreading you, but from what I understood, you increased rep ranges over the time period. That in itself makes the ability to monitor strength gains very murky. Of course you're not going to be able to increase load if you're increasing reps per set over time, right?

You're also picking some of the smallest exercises in existence to monitor strength gains. I would monitor strength with big things like squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, etc.

No, I guess you're right about that, with the increased reps. Those are the two exercises I had trouble with the most, bench was next, but I was able to finish all the reps. I don't have a gym membership yet, so I'm stuck with dumbbells for now, but I'll keep the bigger lifts in mind from now on as a gauge when I can go heavier than 37 lb DBs. I thought the increase in reps was supposed to assist in strength gains, but I also thought since I was more than likely eating at a surplus, that would've helped as well, even though it wasn't my intention to eat that way. My self control took a hike, but the person causing the stress was removed from my house for at least the next 6 months. I'm starting ChaLean Extreme on Monday, and hoping to get back on track over the next 90 days. Do you think that's a step backwards, even if I use weights that are challenging? I'm thinking at this point, while I still have so much to lose, that I should focus on tracking and keeping the muscle I have, not worrying about gains. Is that right? And thank you!
  • stroutman81
    Options

[/quote]
    Ah, okay. I didn't realize there were different methods of using glycogen depletion. I've only been lifting weights for eighteen months, so I'm still too much of a noob for your more advanced recommendations in that area. Thanks for taking the time to respond and clarify. With the avalanche of fitness information out there, it can be confusing to weed through and figure out what advice applies to our own situations. Thanks again!
    [/quote]

I work mostly with beginners. Meaning my methods aren't directed at the advanced trainee. At least not the information you're seeing me post about around here.
  • stroutman81
    Options

No, I guess you're right about that, with the increased reps. Those are the two exercises I had trouble with the most, bench was next, but I was able to finish all the reps. I don't have a gym membership yet, so I'm stuck with dumbbells for now, but I'll keep the bigger lifts in mind from now on as a gauge when I can go heavier than 37 lb DBs. I thought the increase in reps was supposed to assist in strength gains, but I also thought since I was more than likely eating at a surplus, that would've helped as well, even though it wasn't my intention to eat that way. My self control took a hike, but the person causing the stress was removed from my house for at least the next 6 months. I'm starting ChaLean Extreme on Monday, and hoping to get back on track over the next 90 days. Do you think that's a step backwards, even if I use weights that are challenging? I'm thinking at this point, while I still have so much to lose, that I should focus on tracking and keeping the muscle I have, not worrying about gains. Is that right? And thank you!

I'd say that's right... yes. When fat loss is the primary goal, you don't want to prioritize muscle gain goals as well. Your goals would be in direct odds with one another - calorically speaking.

And if you can do the same load for more reps, technically you did get stronger. But my point was, you shouldn't expect to be able to do more reps and more weight. The true test would be to go back to the original rep range you were working with and see if you can NOW do more load with it.

And if you're training at home, it begs the question at what increments are you going up? A lot of ppl don't have micro plates in their home gyms? So when you do go up, how much weight are you adding per DB?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

I'd say that's right... yes. When fat loss is the primary goal, you don't want to prioritize muscle gain goals as well. Your goals would be in direct odds with one another - calorically speaking.

And if you can do the same load for more reps, technically you did get stronger. But my point was, you shouldn't expect to be able to do more reps and more weight. The true test would be to go back to the original rep range you were working with and see if you can NOW do more load with it.

And if you're training at home, it begs the question at what increments are you going up? A lot of ppl don't have micro plates in their home gyms? So when you do go up, how much weight are you adding per DB?

I have 1.25 lb plates. I have a set of 20 lb adjustable DBs, and some extra plates I borrowed from my stepdad, so I have enough to get me up to 37.5 lbs each. Is that a small enough increment? Now that you say that, it makes sense. I'll have to go back and see what I did in the second round of stage 7. I want to say I had to use 15 lbs both times for the shoulder press.
  • stroutman81
    Options

I have 1.25 lb plates. I have a set of 20 lb adjustable DBs, and some extra plates I borrowed from my stepdad, so I have enough to get me up to 37.5 lbs each. Is that a small enough increment? Now that you say that, it makes sense. I'll have to go back and see what I did in the second round of stage 7. I want to say I had to use 15 lbs both times for the shoulder press.

Yup, that's a small enough increment.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    >snip

Yup, that's a small enough increment.

Thanks! So if I do more circuit training type exercises for now, as long as I'm not using an "easy" weight, that should be enough to help preserve muscle (along with protein intake)?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Bumping this.... for anyone interested, I'll be around for a few hours this morning doing work on the computer. If you'd like to pick my brain about anything, just ask.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am new to heavy lifting (Stage 1 NROLFW) and feel I am progressing well. I had more strength upper body than most women starting this program (Prior army) so Push-ups are never an issue lol

My question is this: I have no cable system at home so I have substituting Barbell Bent-over Rows and Barbell Pullovers (seated rows and lat pull downs respectively). I am beginning to wonder if these will be close enough in the exercises they are replacing. I have resistance bands (numerous and all resistances) and thought about placing them on wall hooks and/or chin up bar (in my doorway) and using them for the appropriate exercise. My problem is that I can use the highest resistance fairly easily and not sure how I can progress that way.. .any ideas?
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I am new to heavy lifting (Stage 1 NROLFW) and feel I am progressing well. I had more strength upper body than most women starting this program (Prior army) so Push-ups are never an issue lol

My question is this: I have no cable system at home so I have substituting Barbell Bent-over Rows and Barbell Pullovers (seated rows and lat pull downs respectively). I am beginning to wonder if these will be close enough in the exercises they are replacing. I have resistance bands (numerous and all resistances) and thought about placing them on wall hooks and/or chin up bar (in my doorway) and using them for the appropriate exercise. My problem is that I can use the highest resistance fairly easily and not sure how I can progress that way.. .any ideas?

I get that you're trying to follow a prepackaged program as closely as possible, but rest assured that exercise selection is not the most important variable. As long as you're contracting the same muscles at relatively the same intensities, you're going to have similar training effects for all intents and purposes.

But your swaps seem logical and smart to me, so no worries. If you have a pull-up bar you could also do assisted pull-ups using bands to mimic the pulldowns.