How do you cook tofu so it tastes decent?

PennWalker
PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
edited November 2016 in Recipes
I'm a non-cook, vegetarian, and want to add tofu to my weekly food for more protein. I also want to stay away from sugary sauces. The tofu from my favorite Chinese restaurant tastes great, but mine is terrible. Any suggestions?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Curious, as well.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    First notice that tofu comes in different textures, which is basically a function of its water content - soft, firm, extra firm, etc.
    Second, tofu has very little taste of its own, so it will take on whatever seasonings you are using.

Try this, one of my favorites:

http://www.food.com/recipe/golden-sesame-tofu-464582
  • PennWalker
    Thanks, vikinglander and kimny72 -- I'll try both suggestions this week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    First notice that tofu comes in different textures, which is basically a function of its water content - soft, firm, extra firm, etc.
    Second, tofu has very little taste of its own, so it will take on whatever seasonings you are using.

That looks amazeballs! I seriously have to remember to pick up some sesame oil. I have so many saved recipes that call for it, but I never have it.
  • ireneminc
    ireneminc Posts: 1 Member
    What about in a watery soup? I can't cook either! So, boil water with half a chicken stock cube and some paprika or chinese five spice, add a ton of veg (broccoli, cauli, sprouts, peas, cabbage, sweetcorn are all good), then chuck some tofu in. I also put a whole egg in, otherwise it doesn't fill me for long, or cut up half a chicken breast. If using egg, boil it for a couple of mins to poach within the soup. It's scrummy and few calories.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    The best advice about tofu is to treat it like meat. So drain the water and pat it dry with paper towels, cut it in cubes then season it. I pan fry it in a bit of olive oil til it's browned. Then add it into my stir fry or add to a salad.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Salt and pepper tofu is amazing.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

That looks amazeballs! I seriously have to remember to pick up some sesame oil. I have so many saved recipes that call for it, but I never have it.

When I am lazy (so always), I cut firm tofu into cubes and pan fry in straight sesame oil. Delicious. Sometimes it even makes it into my stir fry
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited November 2016
    I make sure its dry,cut into slices,spray a pan with non stick spray,season the tofu and bake it(crispier or less crispy).how long depends on how you want it, all kinds of recipes online too.also you can marinate it in different seasonings. it takes on the flavor of many things.
  • michelleparlett
    michelleparlett Posts: 1 Member
    First off, you need to cut it into slices (if it isn't already cubed), maybe cut your block into four fat pieces of even size. Line a baking tin with a couple of dishtowels, then place several sheets of kitchen towel on top. Place the tofu evenly in the tin, cover with about twice the amount of kitchen towel, cover with a chopping board and weight down the board with a few tins or a heavy pan.

After about twenty minutes, most of the liquid will come out of the tofu and it will be flatter and firmer.

Now, cut it up into cubes and marinate it however you like to give it some flavour.

When you cook it, make sure your oil is very hot indeed, and drain off the marinade first. You can toss the tofu cubes in cornflour if you like, too, to help them crisp up.
  • How about a tofu Mexican soup? Cube the tofu and cook it in chicken or vegetable stock and then pour it onto freshly diced cabbage, onions and cilantro. I like to add lime juice , ground oregeno and red pepper flakes. You can also add hominy.

It's called a vegetarian pazole .

qilh70p9hl8n.jpg
    b4yi295dmdj4.jpg
  • JimHM
    JimHM Posts: 24 Member
    Thanks for the Tofu info. I've always steered clear of it, but learned a lot from this thread. Deffo curious to play around with this. Cheers
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Buy firm tofu. Remove any excess water. cut into strips, add some sesame oil, garlic, chilli flakes, seasoning and bake in oven. I serve that with a veggie stir fry and rice. The reason I bake it is to get it nice and crispy. If you add it to a sauce it looses the crispy texture.
  • PennWalker
    Thanks, everybody, for the great suggestions!
  • PennWalker

I tried this tonight. It's fantastic! Thanks so much.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Cube some extra soft tofu, throw it in a spicy soup. I like this tofu hot pot mix I get from my local H mart [international/Asian mart].

Extremely low cal depending on veggies added to it, too. Udon is great with it. The pack I buy as a sauce that goes with it, but there is a home-made one I like to use often, will put below. Makes a rather HUGE yield, be prepare for leftovers.

Basically, 2 cups stock of your choice [both veg and chicken work great], 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and spice to your taste [I'll mix it up between sriracha, a scotch bonnet pepper sauce I have, or hot chili oil depending on my spice craving]. Bring to a boil, then add your veggies/etc of choice. I go with 2-3 bunches of baby bok choy, half an onion [quartered], lots of green onion, mushroom [beech and enoki for me], and egg. Cover and let cook, but stir occasionally. Pretty much softening everything to taste... I like to let the onions get nice n' cooked, soft, and let'm absorb the broth.

This time, I used between a third and a half of a small Egg Beaters Southwestern carton. Cooked it up all at once, then slowly scrambled. Made sure there was big chunks. Add the cubed extra soft tofu and egg to the pot. n-n Stir very gently [remember, tofu is fragile]. Let simmer a few more minutes, then done. I like to add shirataki noodles to this soup.

Nice and warming in winter.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    How about in a vegan cheesecake? ;) OK, not very healthy. I love miso soup, it's very filling, high in protein but low in calories. Make sure the miso paste you use is veggie, some have fish in them. I use a yellow one (from Tesco if you are in the UK).

http://minimalistbaker.com/15-minute-miso-soup-with-greens-and-tofu/

Also if you're having no luck with tofu, try looking for Quorn. I use that a lot more than tofu, I find it way easier to cook with.
  • twinklepies
    twinklepies Posts: 35 Member
    I made a very convincing pumpkin pie with silken tofu. Silken hides well in smoothies too. Like other people have mentioned there are a few different kinds/textures. Asian grocery stores usually have the best selection. I've found that smoked firm tofu has the taste and texture of smoked gouda. You can also find some pre-fried that are good to slice up on salads or wraps, kinda has the texture of a dry omelette. I like firm tofu cut in strips and browned with a bit of sesame oil.