How do you cook tofu so it tastes decent?

Options

Replies

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    sorry but tofu never tastes good, sure a ton of additives may make it palatable, but i have a very firm food rule... "if the dog takes a piece and spits it out it is not fit for human consumption." my dog will not eat tofu or kale, children in the neighborhood are a different thing and a different thread :)
  • JennaMatthews07
    JennaMatthews07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Get soft tofu, put it in a pan with seasonings of choice, and some water or broth. Sautée it, and the tofu should soak up the seasoning. Hope this helps, but you can look further into it, just a short and sweet explanation.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jvcjim wrote: »
    sorry but tofu never tastes good, sure a ton of additives may make it palatable, but i have a very firm food rule... "if the dog takes a piece and spits it out it is not fit for human consumption." my dog will not eat tofu or kale, children in the neighborhood are a different thing and a different thread :)

my dogs will eat tofu and they are picky eaters.they will eat it plain after its been cooked.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite tofu recipe of all time. It's amazing, and dead easy (don't be fooled by the fiddly instructions).

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015202-stir-fried-beet-greens-tofu-and-beets
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I put mine in my eggs with beans and spinach and tomatoes...I don't even notice it. I also eat it mixed in with my grilled chicken, but op is a vegetarian...so I guess that is for everyone else. Also MISO soup.
  • veggie16mfp
    veggie16mfp Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a big quorn fan here also. You can use any receipe and just use the Quorn "chicken" or mince, or bacon or beef etc instead of the meat.
    EauRouge1 wrote: »
    How about in a vegan cheesecake? ;) OK, not very healthy. I love miso soup, it's very filling, high in protein but low in calories. Make sure the miso paste you use is veggie, some have fish in them. I use a yellow one (from Tesco if you are in the UK).

http://minimalistbaker.com/15-minute-miso-soup-with-greens-and-tofu/

Also if you're having no luck with tofu, try looking for Quorn. I use that a lot more than tofu, I find it way easier to cook with.

• fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love making tofu scrambles. Just like scrambled eggs in the pan, add in some veggies, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, etc. So good!
  • HeidiCalderLivingStrong
    Options
    ttmd77 wrote: »
    *****Best way to cook tofu and make it crunch!!!
    I use a skillet or frying pan and get it very hot!!!
    Throw little EVOO on the pan

Get cubed firm tofu open and drain it then press out all the water by laying it on a paper towel add pressure with a plate if you need to but the dryer the crispier
    Put in bowl throw in oregano and two TBS of whole wheat flour toss till every piece has some flour
    Test your evoo is hot enough with a small piece of it bubbles throw it all on and watch it sizzle
    When each piece has browned you're done
    HANDS DOWN MY FAVORITE MEAL
    Add spinach, broccoli,steamed kale
    Delicious and done in ten minutes!!!
    Texture reminds me of home fries so I put a little hot sauce

TTMD77, I made this today and it was out of this world GOOD! I have tried making tofu many times (veggie-daughter loves it) and just have not enjoyed it. I tried your frying method and it was delicious. I tossed in cubed yams (at daughter's request), fresh spinach, yellow squash, and some minced garlic. It was so yummy that hubby asked me to pack up the little bit of leftovers for his lunch tomorrow. THANKS for making tofu an edible entree for me!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    et the li

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get the liquid out unless you are going to use it in a soup. For everything else, press the tofu:
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-recipes/healthy/a18093/easy-tofu-cooking-tips-47012001/
    • Slice open the package and drain out the water. Cut the block of tofu width-wise into however many slices you want — I like to do 4 or 6.
    • Lay a dish towel on a cookie sheet or tray; place some paper towels on top of that.
    • Spread the slices of tofu out in a single layer on top of the towels. Put more paper towels and another dish towel on top of that.
    • Set some heavy objects on top. I usually put another cookie sheet on top, and load it up with some canned goods, cookbooks or my Cuisinart.
    • Leave it alone for at least 30 minutes, but preferably a couple hours. You can leave it like this all day or night if you put it in the fridge. If you're really in a hurry, you can apply some "manual pressure" and cut back the time to 15 minutes, but it's not going to be quite as awesome.
    • Uncover; leave as "tofu steaks" or cut into cubes, marinate and cook according to your recipe!
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I use the attached video's recipe as my base treatment when eating tofu (most especially when both my sister and I are into a hot flavour profile right now).

https://youtu.be/ob2CYmTx9PM
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    First notice that tofu comes in different textures, which is basically a function of its water content - soft, firm, extra firm, etc.
    Second, tofu has very little taste of its own, so it will take on whatever seasonings you are using.

Try this, one of my favorites:

http://www.food.com/recipe/golden-sesame-tofu-464582

Just wanted to give this a huge thumbs up!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yeah, everything's better when it's fried. :D

If you google "soft tofu recipes" there are a lot of recipes for the mushy kind, too:

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=soft+tofu
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I think it's decent after I slice it thin and heat it on a griddle until it's crispy. I haven't yet had the presence of mind to have some guacamole handy for that occasion.
  • LaDivaNicotina
    LaDivaNicotina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always get the extra firm, dry it out as long as I have patience for and sometimes will shake it in corn starch to give it a bit of crunch.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I freeze my tofu first, then thaw it and press it in my Tofu Xpress. That makes the texture much sturdier. Then I cut the block into 4 "patties". Spray a baking sheet with EVOO. Mix together 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/2 tsp liquid smoke. Brush onto both sides of the patties, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Flip over and bake additional 15 minutes. I've been doing this for years now and it never gets old! I will eat it plain like this, or sprinkle on some nooch. I also like to put the patty into a pita with sliced tomato, onion and avocado. Stop! I'm getting hungry now!
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I often have bought the prepacked fried tofu cubes at asian markets, really good in anything with sauce as it acts like a sponge, much different texture than the blocks of wet tofu you find in most non-asian stores. Haven't cooked with it recently though so couldn't say anything about calories.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    jvcjim wrote: »

our dog will eat tofu, cat did too. It doesn't taste like much of anything on its own, and it's made of food, soybeans.

And wow did my cat love cooked kale and collard greens. He would sit by my chair and touch me with his paw, reaching up, until I gave him some. We didn't cook them with bacon or any meat, just olive oil, salt n pepper, he just loved cooked greens.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Mabo tofu is one of my favorite tofu dishes. Here's my go-to recipe. I usually substitute ground turkey for ground pork and sometimes I leave the meat out entirely.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ma-po-tofu-103565