Thoughts on sugar?

Options

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar in drinks. That's about it. As far as solid foods, if there is a 'no sugar added' (knowing full well it has sugar, just no EXTRA was added) then I'll choose that every time. If there's a decent sugar free version I may choose it, but otherwise I don't sweat it as long as the calories fit in my goals. I figure just dropping it from drinks (soda, tea, coffee, etc.) was a big drop in the amount of sugar I ingest in a day.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If not eating sugar makes it easier for you to stick to your program, do it. If not eating sugar makes it more difficult for you to stick to your program, then eat sugar. I avoid adding sugar to things just as I avoid slathering things with butter for one reason: I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere. But if I want that candy bar or that scoop of ice cream, I'll have it -- and log the calories.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    It's a good system of a down song.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's a good system of a down song.

I was thinking second best band involving Bob Mould.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I think sugar has been seriously demonized. I get that it's not a brussels sprout but it's not the devil either. :) IMO.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    shanimay23 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback! I gotta say, not the comments I was expecting, but very interesting nonetheless. I do think cutting out refined sugar completely is almost impossible and not completely necessary. I think I'll stick to eating fruit which I love and not eating any processed foods with over 5% of refined sugar.

THAT film helped me a ton. It kick started me into making my own meals again, into making thoughtful choices about what I ate, and it got me away from eating a lot of processed foods. I still eat refined sugar. I still eat processed foods, but in general, I am eating less of it.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I think sugar has been seriously demonized. I get that it's not a brussels sprout but it's not the devil either. :) IMO.

Brussels sprouts are the devil. :angry:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

You can send yours my way, I LOVE a sprout.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If I have learned anything along this journey it was this: The truth is Calories in is what determines your weight gain/loss not what food is made of. Having said that it is still important to eat a healthy diet to ingest the vitamins, minerals, enzymes etc. that we need. Because my blood sugar was compromised I had to reduce sugar and found by doing that my cravings were also reduced. Just my experience and maybe others would not have the same thing happen.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

For the person sitting next to you two hours later they are. :blush:
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Happily! You can have all the sprouts. An unrelated story as to my dislike for them but: a friend of mine once told his sister that they were baby cabbage patch kids and every time she ate one, a cabbage patch kid died. She never ate them again.

I really shouldn't be laughing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    shanimay23 wrote: »
    It was my trainer!! Hahaha.
    Your trainer than is trained in broscience. It STILL boils down to calories in and out (CICO). The issue with sugar is that it tastes good and therefore easy to consume. And don't let your trainer get you to think that "all calories aren't created equal" either cause that's also BS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Happily! You can have all the sprouts. An unrelated story as to my dislike for them but: a friend of mine once told his sister that they were baby cabbage patch kids and every time she ate one, a cabbage patch kid died. She never ate them again.

I really shouldn't be laughing.

Kids are mean to their siblings, at least as adults we can laugh about it (hopefully). :laugh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is hilarious, but I still love them. When I was a kid we only ever had them on Thanksgiving (my mother hates them, my grandmother made them), and they were prepared with bacon and even for me as a kid oh so good. I thought they were cute too (and I always liked cabbage anyway). Now I think of bacon as the gateway drug for brussels sprouts.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is hilarious, but I still love them. When I was a kid we only ever had them on Thanksgiving (my mother hates them, my grandmother made them), and they were prepared with bacon and even for me as a kid oh so good. I thought they were cute too (and I always liked cabbage anyway). Now I think of bacon as the gateway drug for brussels sprouts.

Oh man, sauteed with pancetta. *Dribbling*. My mum and I were the only ones who liked them so at Christmas we'd literally be snacking on them all the time. I mean sure, she could just make less but where's the fun in that!

I'm going to have to have sprouts very soon, sprout season is the best. Asparagus season comes a close second.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sugar and fat both have lots of calories and can cause weight gain if not moderated. All that is necessary for weight loss is a calorie deficit.