Almond/Coconut Milk or Regular/Skim Milk

Options
Do you drink Almond/Coconut Milk more than Regular or Skim Milk? I found out that Almond/Coconut Milk has much better benefits than Regular and Skim Milk does. Is that true?

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I only use almond/coconut milk for things like porridge and cereal. I only use semi skimmed milk for drinks like tea.

I do this because of the calorie content. I don't know what benefits you're talking about.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Cashew milk (unsweetend) for protein shakes... I drink a boat load of 2% milk weekly.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Skim milk has more protein - so I generally prefer that. I usually only use almond or coconut milk when I'm running low on calories but have had enough protein for the day.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The calorie difference between the two isn't significant enough to make a definitive switch for me. (100ml of skimmed milk is 35 calories vs 32 calories of unsweetened almond).

Sometimes I use almond for protein shakes (there's a chocolate one that is especially delicious) but mostly I just use semi or skimmed milk for coffee and cereal/porridge.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    For drinking and in cereal/oatmeal/cream of wheat, I use soymilk.

For cooking (like to make gravy/baked goods), I use regular milk.

I don't think there are any real benefits between the two except for being lower calorie.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't do dairy in general, but: I go for unsweetened almond milk most of the time, 'cause since I'm 5'3 and within 20lbs of my goal my calorie allowance is fairly tight and I'm not wasting any more than I have to on putting milk in my coffee! Since unsweetened almond is only like 13 calories per 100g, that way I get to have as much lovely hot milky tea and coffee as I please (...almost...!)
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I tend to prefer soy milk over almond milk because it gives me protein and phytoestrogens. I don't drink much cow's milk, but I do use it to make my own yogurt.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I prefer cow's milk to drink, but for some reason I love almond milk in a latte. If I'm getting coffee out, that's what I pick every time.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee and occasionally in cereal, but it takes me a month to go through half a gallon. That's actually one reason I use it-- it keeps better than dairy milk.

And I've never been a big milk drinker--
  • Seffell
    Options
    The calorie difference between the two isn't significant enough to make a definitive switch for me. (100ml of skimmed milk is 35 calories vs 32 calories of unsweetened almond).

Sometimes I use almond for protein shakes (there's a chocolate one that is especially delicious) but mostly I just use semi or skimmed milk for coffee and cereal/porridge.

The Alpro almond is only 13cal for 100ml unsweetened. The sweetened almond is 24cal.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

The Alpro almond is only 13cal for 100ml unsweetened. The sweetened almond is 24cal.

You're right, my bad. My log had lost my entry and I just looked at the first one when searching (which I don't usually do either! Slapping my own wrist).

I'm still not sure I'm fussed for 20 calories per 100ml. I've tried it in my coffee and tea and can't get on with it and find my porridge a bit too watery with it. Personal preference though.

I do have soy milk if I'm getting a Starbucks style coffee, mostly because that volume of milk and coffee together is a recipe for farty bloat.............
  • Seffell
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

You're right, my bad. My log had lost my entry and I just looked at the first one when searching (which I don't usually do either! Slapping my own wrist).

I'm still not sure I'm fussed for 20 calories per 100ml. I've tried it in my coffee and tea and can't get on with it and find my porridge a bit too watery with it. Personal preference though.

I do have soy milk if I'm getting a Starbucks style coffee, mostly because that volume of milk and coffee together is a recipe for farty bloat.............

I agree about the coffee and tea. I find it disgusting. I'm used to it in my porridge though as I've been eating it like that since February every day and I now prefer it that way. Doesn't make a huge difference in terms of calories indeed.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    All I use anymore is unsweetened cashew milk.
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is delicious on cereals more creamy than skimmed or semi, i switched mainly because dairy is not good for your sinuses which i suffer with, but it doesn't give much protein which is essential i feel in the mornings so i have switched to back to semi and have unsweetened almond in teas and coffee.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Personally I like unsweetened soy milk. Very creamy in smoothies or on cereal. Lots of protein and calcium.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Interesting conversation. I couldn't stand the taste of any of them but found that using cashew milk in cooking was quite palatable. In fact in a protein shake I prefer it. Not sure of the nutrition question but used it to reduce calories.
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Well -- the biggest benefit of Unsweetened Almond or Coconut milk is low on carbs/sugar. Milk, even skim, has a bit of sugar -- occasionally I'll use skim vs one of the others in my protein drink and wow... it really tastes so much better. And I know it's because of the sugar LOL
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Bwrock84 wrote: »
    Do you drink Almond/Coconut Milk more than Regular or Skim Milk? I found out that Almond/Coconut Milk has much better benefits than Regular and Skim Milk does. Is that true?

I suppose it would depend on what benefits you are looking for, but in general I would say no. I drink soy or almond milk because I don't like the taste of cow's milk. The benefits are different for different types of milk but I don't think any is "much" better nutritionally.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk in smoothies, and 2% Fairlife in lattes. I like the Fairlife for the protein content and the taste.

I don't mind almond milk in tea or coffee (neither of which I'm currently drinking as my hot beverage of choice), but I tend to drink lattes for a filling protein source.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of cashew milk for the calories and flavor, especially in cereal. Cows milk with blueberry Tiny Toast made me realize this