Almond/Coconut Milk or Regular/Skim Milk

Options

Replies

• Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't really use any of my calories for milk because I'm at 1200 and just don't want to but my son has a dairy allergy & I have him on a glass or two of soy milk with added nutrients a day and orange juice high in calcium & Vit D in the morming to make up for some of what he is losing.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to, but somewhere along the way I transitioned to only buying unsweetened almond milk. My family only drinks organic whole milk, usually the "cream-top" kind. I'll use regular cows milk for cooking and baking, but I pretty much only drink almond milk - I do like that it has protein without all the sugar of cow milk.
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    Options
    I've got into hazelnut milk lately...it give porridge oats a lovely taste, especially if I soak them in it overnight and then microwave in the morning
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I use soy milk for my cereal because the phytoestrogens may be helpful with my prostate cancer. I like coconut milk in coffee sometimes, and a bit of Thai-style coconut cream with yogurt, fruit and a couple spoons of granola for a dessert. I've seen a lot of people here like cashew milk, I tried it and couldn't really see it was much different than almond milk.

Reference on soy and prostate cancer:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/4/1155.long
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Milk really doesn't have much sugar, it's being talked about like a can of full sugar cola.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've got into hazelnut milk lately...it give porridge oats a lovely taste, especially if I soak them in it overnight and then microwave in the morning

Now this I might try!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Although I'm definitely not vegan, the thought of drinking cows milk kind of revolts me. I use it for cooking, but for drinking (including in my coffee) and over cereal/granola I have been liking almond milk lately.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I always used to use either semi-skimmed milk or water for recipes but have recently discovered Soy Milk (light) which has barely any calories
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to, but somewhere along the way I transitioned to only buying unsweetened almond milk. My family only drinks organic whole milk, usually the "cream-top" kind. I'll use regular cows milk for cooking and baking, but I pretty much only drink almond milk - I do like that it has protein without all the sugar of cow milk.

Which almond milk do you use? All of the ones I've seen around here only have a gram or so of protein per cup, as opposed to cow's milk, which has 9 grams per cup.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »

Which almond milk do you use? All of the ones I've seen around here only have a gram or so of protein per cup, as opposed to cow's milk, which has 9 grams per cup.

There are protein-added almond milks. So Delicious makes one, as does Orgain. By themselves, they don't taste very good, imo. They're okay in smoothies.

The Orgain is almost as many calories as skimmed milk, but it has more protein.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I drink Blue Diamond Original Almond Milk for the most part. Nothing against dairy milk, I just don't like the weird film I get in my mouth and throat after I have it, and since there's an easy and cheap alternative (and one that I honestly don't taste a difference), I just go for that.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Cashew milk or almond milk for me is
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Bwrock84 wrote: »
    Do you drink Almond/Coconut Milk more than Regular or Skim Milk? I found out that Almond/Coconut Milk has much better benefits than Regular and Skim Milk does. Is that true?

There isn't really any benefit unless you're lactose intolerant. I drink dairy milk...usually 1%...skim tastes like water
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you drink Almond/Coconut Milk more than Regular or Skim Milk? I found out that Almond/Coconut Milk has much better benefits than Regular and Skim Milk does. Is that true?

No, but they are different, so it depends on what you want and what you like.

I rarely get milk since I don't really drink it or use it in much and it goes bad before I use it up. I eat lots of cottage cheese and greek yogurt, though. I make cashew milk to use in smoothies and think it's delicious, but the benefits are different -- it has much less protein and more fat, but healthy fat. (Unlike the store-bought stuff homemade cashew milk is not low cal.)

I make it because I like how it tastes and usually have greek yogurt in a smoothie also, anyway.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've also started noticing 1/2% fat milk at Krogers. It's ten more calories than skim and makes a tastier yogurt than skim.
  • jnlamppert
    jnlamppert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure any health benefits of one really outweigh the other.. My method of approach is easy. What's my goal? If it's weight loss, I'll chose the lower calorie. However, I've found that milk irritates my stomach if I drink too much so I switched to almond milk and that went away. Then I found cashew milk (lower calorie) so I'm now hooked on that! If you can afford either calories and your body doesn't have any reactions, I would either chose what you prefer or chose the cheaper option!
  • VeganRaptor
    VeganRaptor Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk in my coffee and use an almond coconut blend in my smoothies :)
    I honestly just prefer the taste over soy- although I always buy soy cappuccinos if I go out for coffee!
  • foodfighter86
    foodfighter86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    unsweetened vanilla almond is my go-to!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

There isn't really any benefit unless you're lactose intolerant. I drink dairy milk...usually 1%...skim tastes like water

This ^
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I drink whole cow's milk, on the rare occasion that I drink milk at all. I don't eat cereal, and I use half and half or heavy cream in my coffee. With four young kids in the house, I basically have to get whole milk, but I prefer it anyway. I like to eat almonds and cashews roasted and salted. All these nut juice concoctions everyone is guzzling is just driving up the price of my snacks :(