I Want to Support My Local Shop, but Jeez...

Options
oocdc2
oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
Does anyone else struggle with the moral dilemma of wanting to buy local, but having a hard time justifying spending $69.99 on a shirt I can get for $49.99 on Amazon? I can get specialty items at this run shop (like 856 South Jersey Run shirts and stuff like that), but who out there just eats the mark-up?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would not feel the pull to buy local from a vendor whose business model requires me to pay 40% more items that I can get elsewhere. Moral dilemma, not even once.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nope. Amazon every time.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    There's a reason that B&Ms are dying. This is it. I'm happy to contribute to their unavoidable demise by buying from whoever offers me the best price for identical items. It's not the 50s anymore.
  • jadelois
    jadelois Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If its something I'm taking advice on then i buy it from them rather than take advice for free and buy cheaper online. If its something i don't need advice for then I usually buy from wherever is cheaper.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Some people and places should not be in business. If you cannot offer a competitive price or something special (like amazing customer service or advise) you have no business being in business. I don't feel bad at all for not supporting a poor business model.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    jadelois wrote: »
    If its something I'm taking advice on then i buy it from them rather than take advice for free and buy cheaper online. If its something i don't need advice for then I usually buy from wherever is cheaper.

This is usually how I do it too. I do try to support my local running store however I can though, because I benefit from their organized events, newsletter, training groups, etc, etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    jadelois wrote: »

This is usually how I do it too. I do try to support my local running store however I can though, because I benefit from their organized events, newsletter, training groups, etc, etc.

I think that is a reasonable way to do things. I had my gait evaluated at a local running store and bought the shoes there. I may have paid slightly higher for them (I think around $10) but I counted that as a fee for the service. Since then, I've just been getting the same kind of shoes from whatever place I can find them at a good price.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I support my local running store.. this last time I decided to buy my size in Wide of the model I bought from them.. They do not carry them, they would order them for me, but I got two pair of Wides online at Amazon for 70% less than what I would have paid at the local store..

I have no problem being frugal for anything that I buy. Especially my exercise gear.

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'd just go to Target and get a shirt in the same material for $12.99. /shrug
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    When im in a local store I check the online prices and i always ask the store to match that price, often times they do. And if they dont , i can click the "buy it now" button on my way out the store.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Does anyone else struggle with the moral dilemma of wanting to buy local, but having a hard time justifying spending $69.99 on a shirt I can get for $49.99 on Amazon?

I'd have a hard time justifying spending $50 on a shirt that cost $2 to make. I'd feel violated.
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I buy from the local cycle and run stores, but only because I don't need that much. I've only had to change one tube on my new crossrip elite in 1.5 years and >4000 miles (switched out the tires, though). Running shoes are every six months or so, and I don't mind paying a little extra to stop by the store.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It depends on how badly I want the thing and if I have to pay excessive shipping.

A lot of what I want I can't get here locally- stores do not carry a lot of lifting equipment- so yeah. Not so much. I try- I buy very specialty things from small business and I pay a frick load more for them- certain people I KNOW personally and run businesses from their homes. So I get it. But- some things- #nope can't be bothered.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I tried the local store 12 weeks before my half marathon. They didn't carry my size and said they would order for me. I waited 4 weeks and never heard from them. Stopped in to check, got a "maybe next week." Waited two more weeks and still nothing, so I bought some at the outlet mall for half the price. They called two weeks before my half marathon to say my shoes were in. Ummm... a little late now.

I'm happy to pay extra for good service, but this particular shop did not have great service.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    I'd just go to Target and get a shirt in the same material for $12.99. /shrug

I would do this if they had quality wool base layers, but my experience is that you get what you pay for.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If I buy a bike or actual bike parts, I go to my LBS. If anything goes wrong with this stuff, they'll fix it for me for free. I don't usually buy my clothing in the LBS, because they can't offer the best deals(their sales are awesome though). I doubt they're bothered by this, since we spend about $4000 a year in there.

Most of this depends on how much you really like your local shop. My bike guys are really great and speak to me by name when I come in. They have never treated me like I'm dumb, as a lot of bike shops will treat women.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Amazon have a number of unethical business practices that while not on par to overseas child slave labour, they are enough for me not to purchase from anymore.

I go to the small independent grocer/supermarket and butcher over Coles and Woollies, it costs a little extra..however customer service is great, nothing is too much trouble, they support a number of small local farm suppliers.

I have scaled back my online purchases significantly and now buy local where possible. High unemployment rates here and if I can help keep some people in a job by buying local, buying local products (helps that Tasmanian wine and food is great!) as well as buying Australian made and owned products I will. Can't always buy local or Australian made/owned but I do endeavour to make the next best choice.

Sure the likes of Amazon have significant buying power and will always be cheaper than your local or even street front chain of stores because of that significant buying power. Where will we be when the local and chain of stores disappear and the likes of Amazon have a monopoly. I imagine Amazon prices won't be anywhere near as cheap in a monopoly.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Does anyone else struggle with the moral dilemma of wanting to buy local, but having a hard time justifying spending $69.99 on a shirt I can get for $49.99 on Amazon?

I'd have a hard time justifying spending $50 on a shirt that cost $2 to make. I'd feel violated.

Oh, *kitten*, no, I wouldn't spend $50 on a shirt; it was just an example. I buy the majority of my clothing either from thrift stores or 70% clearance at Walmart or Target. (Except merino wool socks--you can't skimp on socks...)