How many hours should I wait before I can eat after working out?

Options
Please leave your answers below. Thank you. :)

Replies

• elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    True, I can stuff half a protein bar in my mouth as I get changed.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    There is no need to wait hours.. Eat when hungry, eat according to your normal meal timing...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    There's no need to wait any time at all, unless you are feeling uncomfortably full ...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want/need. Meal timing has no impact (except making you feel sick if you eat too much, too close to intense training).
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I'm usually stuffing my face before the sweat even dries..if I don't I start to feel nauseous!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hours?

Sometimes I eat right in the middle of one of my workouts.

And it's rare I go more than about 30 minutes after a workout before eating. Sometimes more like 30 seconds.

I've done this too...have been known to be gobbling cheese or apple while running..lol!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I have a meal within 15 minutes of finishing..
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I always finish my workout with a protein smoothie. Love them and the boost they give me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For me anything from before/during/after (if you include cycling as working out), through to immediately afterwards all the way through to 14 hours later (I frequently get thrown out of the gym at the 10pm closing time and don't eat until lunchtime next day).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hours?

Sometimes I eat right in the middle of one of my workouts.

And it's rare I go more than about 30 minutes after a workout before eating. Sometimes more like 30 seconds.

Soupersets!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I usually have a meal or snack right after my workout. Sometimes I snack between sets if I need the boost.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to wait for some magical time to eat after working out?
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    It's recommended to eat with in 60 min after your workout... why would you wait hours by the way?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I eat on my way home- or as soon as I get home.

Why would you wait? I'm starving after I work out. #fatkidproblems
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    HeyaBerg wrote: »
    It's recommended to eat with in 60 min after your workout... why would you wait hours by the way?

It isn't actually. That's just an old fashioned locker room myth.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I only wait seconds to minutes. Frequently have a snack of some sort while training to.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I work out in my basement, then go back upstairs. By that time my husband has dinner ready. No "hours" waiting for me.

I don't eat for awhile *before* working out because I do a lot of cardio and I don't want food bouncing around in my stomach. But after? I think that's fine.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    As much as meal timing doesn't really matter, I feel that simple carbs pre & peri workout can help with getting a good pump and providing some energy.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    @Grathiael Did you post this to the boards two or three times? I could have sworn I answered last night, but I keep coming across versions of it without my reponse.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever waited even an hour before eating, but if you have specific concerns or a more specific problem, it might help to lay it out.