124»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    lodro wrote: »
    spitapot81 wrote: »
    What are your views on low carb diets? I exercise 4 times per week with a mix of cardio and weights

Honestly, I think very little of them. As a pre-diabetic I don't even believe them necessary or particularly useful for glucose control. If you don't have a medical concern though, then I think they are a waste to even consider unless you simply enjoy eating low carb.

try it, you might be surprised.

I was pre-diabetic...didn't need to go low carb to get my blood glucose under control...not in the least...

Me to, just losing the extra poundage corrected my higher glucose number.

Sadly, not everyone is so lucky though.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    What are your views on low carb diets? I exercise 4 times per week with a mix of cardio and weights

Honestly, I think very little of them. As a pre-diabetic I don't even believe them necessary or particularly useful for glucose control. If you don't have a medical concern though, then I think they are a waste to even consider unless you simply enjoy eating low carb.

I was pre-diabetic...didn't need to go low carb to get my blood glucose under control...not in the least...

Me to, just losing the extra poundage corrected my higher glucose number.

Good news!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    HairTie1 wrote: »
    Forums are not the place to get advice like this. It's a bunch of mostly uninformed opinions or anecdotes. I recommend instead asking on a forum for advice on which books to buy to get scientific perspective on whatever your question may be.

I would direct you to two sources that I have found to be EXTREMELY informative on this topic with both coming at it from a totally different perspective:
    1. "The Paleo Diet", Cordain -- Ground yourself in the science behind the foods that your body is genetically predisposed to use. Punchline: Its all about micro-nutrient density... macronutrients are mostly irrelevant if you generally eat the right whole foods. This theme of micro-nutrient density applies to whatever diet framework you choose to pursue.
    2. "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living", Volek, Phinney -- ground yourself on why a ketogenic (low carb) diet may be right for you and how to do it properly if you do choose to do it. My key takeaway is that you can't half attempt it and hope to succeed. You need to make a concerted effort to do it right and that means measuring and tracking and really testing whether or not it works for you. If you just reduce your carbs arbitrarily you set yourself up for wasted time and no objective information with which to make decisions on whether or not to stick to the lifestyle change.

Both of these books have an alternative version written specifically for athletes who have unique nutrition timing needs that need to be addressed as well.

Overall punchline: If its worth doing, do it right. Buy and read a book written by a credible author. Nobody on this forum has posted a single credential that gives you a reason to trust their opinion, anecdote, or experience.

Wait, you consider a forum like this one to be an unreliable source of information, but books written by people who have a financial interest in selling you on a particular diet to be reliable? Not a college grad, are you?

If it's in a book and sounds like science, it must be true.

The reviews being absolutely serious makes me want to bash my head against a wall repeatedly.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Dr. Loren Cordain is the godfather of the modern Paleo movement.

Yes... Paleo.. the king of all baloney diets.

Paleo is the Donald Trump of diets. Complete nonsense.

There is no greater diet of pure B.S. in the fitness industry. But hey, do your own research on it and form your own conclusions.

Wait -- the cavemen ate baloney? Isn't that processed?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options

Same here. Weight loss and regular exercise took care of the problem.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful because it all but eliminated cravings, but it's not for everyone, and it's not necessary for weight losa.