Running a 5K for the first time on Sunday. Any advice or tips would be appreciated

Options
124»

Replies

• RxDreamer2
    RxDreamer2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just got home. I was able to run the entire race without stopping. I ran it in just over 35 minutes, which was about 2 minutes faster than my best time during training. The first mile I set a pretty easy pace and just kind of got my legs and breathing going. The second mile I picked up the pace considerably, maybe a little too much because the last mile was pretty rough. I was pretty much on auto pilot for that last mile and just toughed it out until the last 100 yards or so which I emptied the tank on and sprinted. It's really strange though, because I worked so hard for two months and accomplished everything I wanted to but on the way home I started to have this slight feeling of let down that it was all over. I guess I need to find the next challenge, but after I take a week off and just relax. Thank you everyone so much for all of the kinds words and support, it honestly helped me out a lot.
    Just got home. I was able to run the entire race without stopping. I ran it in just over 35 minutes, which was about 2 minutes faster than my best time during training. The first mile I set a pretty easy pace and just kind of got my legs and breathing going. The second mile I picked up the pace considerably, maybe a little too much because the last mile was pretty rough. I was pretty much on auto pilot for that last mile and just toughed it out until the last 100 yards or so which I emptied the tank on and sprinted. It's really strange though, because I worked so hard for two months and accomplished everything I wanted to but on the way home I started to have this slight feeling of let down that it was all over. I guess I need to find the next challenge, but after I take a week off and just relax. Thank you everyone so much for all of the kinds words and support, it honestly helped me out a lot.

• RxDreamer2
    RxDreamer2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread! I have my first 5K tomorrow and reading all the responses helped me too! And WTG on finishing your 5K with such an awesome time. I will have to walk part of mine bc I haven't finished training with the c25k yet. Started it a month ago and then decided to do the Turkey Trot for fun. I'm nervous too so I'm so thankful for your post!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

Congrats!
    So quickly the runners high is replaced with the runners low of "what now". Next is a couple more 5ks, then you'll want to challenge yourself on a 10k. Soon a 5k will just be a warm up and 10ks will be the norm.

Then you'll want to know what all the fuss about the half. Half's will come and go and you'll be on the starting line for the full 26.2

You'll cross the line of that first 26.2 with a much better understanding about yourself, how to push on when you really want to just curl up and die, what you do when the going really is tough. But you will do it and the high will be amazing.

From there, there is only 1 way, longer and longer and longer, 30 miles, 75km, 100km, 100 miles, multi-day events. There is always a race somewhere.

I'm up to a half - no urge to do a marathon at all.... well.... not really.... :laugh:

That sounds like a challenge. :wink: You're somewhere in Europe, right? I think we can find something for you. :smile:
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    RxDreamer2 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this thread! I have my first 5K tomorrow and reading all the responses helped me too! And WTG on finishing your 5K with such an awesome time. I will have to walk part of mine bc I haven't finished training with the c25k yet. Started it a month ago and then decided to do the Turkey Trot for fun. I'm nervous too so I'm so thankful for your post!

Awesome!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

Congrats!
    So quickly the runners high is replaced with the runners low of "what now". Next is a couple more 5ks, then you'll want to challenge yourself on a 10k. Soon a 5k will just be a warm up and 10ks will be the norm.

Then you'll want to know what all the fuss about the half. Half's will come and go and you'll be on the starting line for the full 26.2

You'll cross the line of that first 26.2 with a much better understanding about yourself, how to push on when you really want to just curl up and die, what you do when the going really is tough. But you will do it and the high will be amazing.

From there, there is only 1 way, longer and longer and longer, 30 miles, 75km, 100km, 100 miles, multi-day events. There is always a race somewhere.

I'm up to a half - no urge to do a marathon at all.... well.... not really.... :laugh:

i said the same thing and then yeah...
  • TimothyPhoenix
    TimothyPhoenix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    RxDreamer2 wrote: »

Good luck today