Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Splenda Allergy

Options
Anybody else find Splenda gives them joint pain?
«1

Replies

  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    No. I already have joint pain.

    How are you determining that the source of your joint pain is specifically from splenda?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No and I have never heard of that before. It is more likely to be exercise induced.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Options
    Anybody else find Splenda gives them joint pain?

    I don't eat splenda so no. When I have joint pain it is from other things.
  • stacydianereagan
    stacydianereagan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My doctor tested me for everything and then started eliminating from my diet. When we did the Splenda the trigger thumb and joint pain went away.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What type of doctor did this test?
  • stacydianereagan
    stacydianereagan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Just my family doctor. First she thought lupus. I now use stevia. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed anything.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Possibly. I have extreme reactions to Nutri-sweet. Horrible migraines. I used to drink one or two sugary Cokes per day but needed to cut my calories so I tried a Diet Coke with aspartame. That caused me to have digestive issues so I switched to Diet Coke with Splenda. I am having some joint pain so I will drop the Splenda to see if that's the cause. I thought it was the colder weather but would be happy to find out it was something as simple as Splenda. Thanks for asking.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    What type of doctor did this test?

    Really? So if an MD suggested an elimination diet and they figured out it was splenda, it's valid? But if an ND, chiro or some other alternative doctor suggests an elimination diet and they figured out it was splenda, that's not valid?

    A person can be allergic to splenda. It's just like any other allergy. I blood tested allergic to sugar cane years ago. Unusual? Maybe. Impossible? No. Joint pain is a common allergic reaction. Whether one gets joint pain (vs. rashes, hives, etc) from a substance due to an allergy has a ton to do with genetics and a person's inherent body weaknesses (we all have some area we are weaker in physically).

    OP, if you don't mind the taste, stevia comes in both liquid and powder forms. Some of the flavored stevia drops aren't too bad. Xylitol or monks fruit might also be options for you.
  • ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I dont get joint pain but I get an upset stomach from splenda. I was using it to sweetened my daily cups of tea when it started. I use real sugar again.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    Possibly. I have extreme reactions to Nutri-sweet. Horrible migraines. I used to drink one or two sugary Cokes per day but needed to cut my calories so I tried a Diet Coke with aspartame. That caused me to have digestive issues so I switched to Diet Coke with Splenda. I am having some joint pain so I will drop the Splenda to see if that's the cause. I thought it was the colder weather but would be happy to find out it was something as simple as Splenda. Thanks for asking.

    I also had problems with nutrisweet. I suffered from debilitating migraines off and on mixed with stay-in-bed-all-day vertigo. Went through all kinds of testing and nothing was found. One of the doctors mentioned offhand that I could "lay off the nutrisweet" since the symptom onset coincided with when my diet changed. After a few more spells, I was desperate enough to try anything. Cut out all nutrisweet and was symptom-free in about 5 weeks. Haven't been in bed with vertigo ever since (20 years), though I have had some milder issues after occasionally eating diet foods.

    I would never proclaim that artificial sweeteners are toxins or dangerous to the general population, but I will also never say that it is impossible for somebody to have a reaction to them. If you cut it out and you feel better, that's a good thing.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed this but some people experience joint pain due to allergic reactions. If it's the trigger for this then definitely find something else.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Just my family doctor. First she thought lupus. I now use stevia. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed anything.

    Your family doctor actually told you you have a splenda allergy causing you joint pain?

    Get a new doctor.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I find it weird that a family doctor would supervise an elimination diet (that's more a registered dietitian thing) as most GPs aren't well versed in nutrition
  • stacydianereagan
    stacydianereagan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find it weird that a family doctor would supervise an elimination diet (that's more a registered dietitian thing) as most GPs aren't well versed in nutrition

    She was great. Sadly, she no longer works in our practice, so I lost a really good doctor.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I find it weird that a family doctor would supervise an elimination diet (that's more a registered dietitian thing) as most GPs aren't well versed in nutrition

    My family doctor does, but he's also a DO so he had several years of nutrition beyond medical school. At least in the circles I run in, doctors tend to deal with elimination diets that are being done for the purpose of determining food allergies.

    My BIL is an MD. He said when someone comes to him with health problems that can be fixed with dietary changes (he said in his office that's about 80% of the issues he sees) he offers help to the person (he happens to be a very healthy guy and into food anyway). He said that only 20% of the people he offers lifestyle help to will take it. The other 80% ask him for a pill because they don't want to put the work into it. That is so sad. :(
    Just my family doctor. First she thought lupus. I now use stevia. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed anything.

    Your family doctor actually told you you have a splenda allergy causing you joint pain?

    Get a new doctor.

    Wow. <shaking head>
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I find it weird that a family doctor would supervise an elimination diet (that's more a registered dietitian thing) as most GPs aren't well versed in nutrition

    My family doctor does, but he's also a DO so he had several years of nutrition beyond medical school. At least in the circles I run in, doctors tend to deal with elimination diets that are being done for the purpose of determining food allergies.

    My BIL is an MD. He said when someone comes to him with health problems that can be fixed with dietary changes (he said in his office that's about 80% of the issues he sees) he offers help to the person (he happens to be a very healthy guy and into food anyway). He said that only 20% of the people he offers lifestyle help to will take it. The other 80% ask him for a pill because they don't want to put the work into it. That is so sad. :(
    Just my family doctor. First she thought lupus. I now use stevia. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed anything.

    Your family doctor actually told you you have a splenda allergy causing you joint pain?

    Get a new doctor.

    Wow. <shaking head>

    I find that's true. I hear a lot about doctors being "pill pushers" but from my experience quite a few of them are pressured to prescribe medications that they otherwise wouldn't. I know in the end it's the doctor's fault for prescribing but some people won't accept no as an answer and won't leave until they get what they want.