Space

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Sorry dude. That is not science. That is conjecture.

Agree, but I think the narrative as such is important for the general masses to both understand and support science. Much of science is developing theory based on facts that are known, but filling in gaps with conjecture, then working to prove or disprove the conjecture part.

• thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Agree, but I think the narrative as such is important for the general masses to both understand and support science. Much of science is developing theory based on facts that are known, but filling in gaps with conjecture, then working to prove or disprove the conjecture part.

Physics is in a crisis because of 50 years of conjecture on supersymmetry theory. Now that the collider didn't do what they thought it would do, a generation of physicists are in a full blown identity crisis.
  • thisonetimeatthegym

Plus, my kids watch a cartoon show called Wild Kratts that has better scientific integrity than that show.

End nerd rant.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Space is truly unfathomable. I love watching cosmos with my girl Mary. Blows my mind every time!

The television show Cosmos is pseudoscience in large degree.

I don't watch the show, can you elaborate?

When someone says, "40 billion years ago on Mars..." my bs alarm goes off.

Did he really say 40 billion or are you being hyperbolic? (I only ask because not even scientists think it's that old)

I am not being hyperbolic. I can't remember exactly, but what does it matter?

What if he said 400 million years ago or 40 million years ago or 4 million years ago on Mars?

All of it - 100% of his statement is conjecture.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    BTW @RunHardBeStrong, what made you want to be an astronaut before?

Honestly, I don't remember when it started. I was young. My dad and I would lay in the backyard most every night that we could and look at the stars.

I remember that. Then I moved to a city, and there's too much light to see them. That's one of my favorite things about backpacking (hike in camping). They say looking up at the night sky is stepping into a time machine, and it's true in all the normal ways but it brings me back to my childhood too.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Space is truly unfathomable. I love watching cosmos with my girl Mary. Blows my mind every time!

Did he really say 40 billion or are you being hyperbolic? (I only ask because not even scientists think it's that old)

What if he said 400 million years ago or 40 million years ago or 4 million years ago on Mars?

And that is why the masses believe a pile of lies. They trust scientists and scientists tell them a fairy tale and the masses think it's facts. And the reviewers of textbooks can't tell the difference between them.
  • thisonetimeatthegym

It matters because if he said 40 billion, then yes I'd agree that is ridiculous. If he said 40 million, why is that *kitten*? The age of the universe and things in the universe are based on evidence we have gathered up until now. What could he have said that would make it more "scientific" to you?

Not say it. Or if he said it, use copious qualifiers to let the audience know it is speculation.

Science has its own stated standard, which it holds up against other studies as superior because their findings are (supposed to be):

Observable
    Testable
    Verifiable
    Falsifiable

Which none of that is. I am a purist when it comes to science. And that is just bad, very bad science.
  • NorthCascades
    Just for the sake of argument...the grant money used to fund space exploration and discover new technologies have greatly benefited our lives. Where do you think we would be today without medical imaging? CT scans were developed for space imagery, and now it's used to save peoples lives.

This argument really doesn't hold water.

If we'd taken all the money we invested in space and instead just put it into medical research, we'd be way ahead of where we are now (in terms of medical knowledge).

I'm not saying space research isn't worthwhile, just that this is a bad argument.
  • NorthCascades
    They trust scientists and scientists tell them a fairy tale and the masses think it's facts.

I don't have a supercollider of my own, so I can't reproduce today's grand experiments and see if those physicists are pulling the wool over my eyes or not. Back in the day, 500 or 600 years ago, you could walk up the stairs and drop a stone and a piece of wood and see which one hit the ground first. But in today's world, all the long hanging fruit has already been picked. It's the really complex stuff that's left, which is harder for the public to verify or sometimes even understand.

I like reading about this stuff, though. And trying to understand it, as best I can.

I have a digital camera; most of you have seen some of my pictures. They're made of pixels. Well, there are actual pixels inside the camera - these are wells that capture photons and essentially count them. They're physically bigger than the wavelength of red light. My camera wouldn't work unless scientists were right about quantum mechanics. We think light acts as both a wave and a particle, we built very complex machinery around the smallest details of that assumption, and they work exactly the way they should. That's a shockingly powerful confirmation of the theory.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    They trust scientists and scientists tell them a fairy tale and the masses think it's facts.

I don't have a supercollider of my own, so I can't reproduce today's grand experiments and see if those physicists are pulling the wool over my eyes or not. Back in the day, 500 or 600 years ago, you could walk up the stairs and drop a stone and a piece of wood and see which one hit the ground first. But in today's world, all the long hanging fruit has already been picked. It's the really complex stuff that's left, which is harder for the public to verify or sometimes even understand.

I like reading about this stuff, though. And trying to understand it, as best I can.

I have a digital camera; most of you have seen some of my pictures. They're made of pixels. Well, there are actual pixels inside the camera - these are wells that capture photons and essentially count them. They're physically bigger than the wavelength of red light. My camera wouldn't work unless scientists were right about quantum mechanics. We think light acts as both a wave and a particle, we built very complex machinery around the smallest details of that assumption, and they work exactly the way they should. That's a shockingly powerful confirmation of the theory.

The physicists have a supercollider and they found out they pull the wool over their own eyes.

And some physicists are sick of moving the goalposts.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited November 2016

Lol you're right, the details don't ever matter. Nothing can be proven.

If you go back to the original series Cosmos, done by Carl Sagan, he wrote the narrative for that series in the hope that it would fire the imaginations of a new generation of scientists then still in school, and popularize science in society. I hardly think he intended to deceive anyone or engage in 'junk science'. Tyson's remake of the series was ...OK.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    And that is why the masses believe a pile of lies. They trust scientists and scientists tell them a fairy tale and the masses think it's facts. And the reviewers of textbooks can't tell the difference between them.

Physics is in a crisis because of 50 years of conjecture on supersymmetry theory. Now that the collider didn't do what they thought it would do, a generation of physicists are in a full blown identity crisis.

I am seeing this in all science disciplines. I think the issue is we now have seemingly infinite amounts of information at our finger tips that we tend to see scope creep in theoretical postulation because they try to be all inclusive. Also, they chase fads that are popular because the money for funding follows it.

Really it is akin to all of us having watched a whole presidential campaign based on no substance and all popularity, jsut to win hearts, minds, and votes. Or as you mentioned, to build trust.

Anywho...

I haven't followed supersymmetry, but I would assume there is some golden pot cash being thrown that people to research and explain subatomic particles that lead them down that path to this crisis. Sounds like it has been a bust. Have to read up on it.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    My screen-namesake, with Carl Sagan:

nc0e78mqchoj.jpg