Space

Options

Replies

• honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    sjzs3rirmqbd.jpeg

An image of the X8.2 class solar flare emitted by the Sun on 10 September 2017, seen here in a blend of extreme ultraviolet light from NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. Credit: NASA/GSFC/SDO
    By Kimberly M. S. Cartier 4 June 2018
    In September 2017, a series of moderate to extreme flares jetted outward from the Sun’s surface. Among them was a monster X8.2 class flare that occurred on 10 September and was one of the largest flares of the current, but nearly completed, 11-year solar cycle. This flare and the other jets generated waves of space weather, auroras, and, at times, communication difficulties here on Earth.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    l5v8dg2hd6hp.jpg

Reddened by scattered sunlight, the Moon in the center is passing through the center of Earth's dark umbral shadow in this July 27 lunar eclipse sequence. Left to right the three images are from the start, maximum, and end to 103 minutes of totality from the longest lunar eclipse of the 21st century. The longest path the Moon can follow through Earth's shadow does cross the shadow's center, that's what makes such central lunar eclipses long ones.

But July 27 was also the date of lunar apogee, and at the most distant part of its elliptical orbit the Moon moves slowest. For the previous lunar eclipse, last January 31, the Moon was near its orbital perigee. Passing just south of the Earth shadow central axis, totality lasted only 76 minutes. Coming up on January 21, 2019, a third consecutive total lunar eclipse will also be off center and find the Moon near perigee. Then totality will be a mere 62 minutes long.

• honeybee__12
    Options
    67zpobwpm0xe.gif

The Latest: Three of the world's largest radio telescopes team up to show a rare double asteroid. 2017 YE5 is only the fourth binary near-Earth asteroid ever observed in which the two bodies are roughly the same size, and not touching.
  • cee134
    Options
    qjvegcodptwo.jpg

Near the center of this sharp cosmic portrait, at the heart of the Orion Nebula, are four hot, massive stars known as the Trapezium. Gathered within a region about 1.5 light-years in radius, they dominate the core of the dense Orion Nebula Star Cluster. Ultraviolet ionizing radiation from the Trapezium stars, mostly from the brightest star Theta-1 Orionis C powers the complex star forming region's entire visible glow.

About three million years old, the Orion Nebula Cluster was even more compact in its younger years and a recent dynamical study indicates that runaway stellar collisions at an earlier age may have formed a black hole with more than 100 times the mass of the Sun. The presence of a black hole within the cluster could explain the observed high velocities of the Trapezium stars.

The Orion Nebula's distance of some 1,500 light-years would make it the closest known black hole to planet Earth.
  • cee134
    Options
    b3e3pj3nwrg9.jpg

No, this castle was not built with the Moon attached. To create the spectacular juxtaposition, careful planning and a bit of good weather was needed. Pictured, the last supermoon of 2016 was captured last week rising directly beyond one of the towers of Bellver Castle in Palma de Mallorca on the Balearic Islands of Spain. The supermoon was the last full moon of 2016 and known to some as the Oak Moon.

Bellver Castle was built in the early 1300s and has served as a home -- but occasional as a prison -- to numerous kings and queens. The Moon was built about 4.5 billion years ago, possibly resulting from a great collision with a Mars-sized celestial body and Earth. The next supermoon, defined as when the moon appears slightly larger and brighter than usual, will occur on 2017 December 3 and be visible not only behind castles but all over the Earth.
  • cee134
    Options
    hhtciej9gnt4.jpg

How far can you see? The most distant object easily visible to the unaided eye is M31, the great Andromeda Galaxy some two million light-years away. Without a telescope, even this immense spiral galaxy appears as an unremarkable, faint, nebulous cloud in the constellation Andromeda. But a bright yellow nucleus, dark winding dust lanes, gorgeous blue spiral arms and star clusters are recorded in this stunning telescopic digital mosaic of the nearby island universe.

While even casual skygazers are now inspired by the knowledge that there are many distant galaxies like M31, astronomers seriously debated this fundamental concept only 80 years ago. Were these "spiral nebulae" simply outlying components of our own Milky Way Galaxy or were they instead "island universes" -- distant systems of stars comparable to the Milky Way itself?

This question was central to the famous Shapley-Curtis debate of 1920, which was later resolved by observations of M31 in favor of Andromeda, island universe.
  • honeybee__12
    Options
    prtd74ex291q.jpeg

Mars might only be half the size of Earth, but its mountains and valleys are perhaps even more stunning.
    Let’s start with Olympus Mons – yes, Mars’ Mount Olympus – which would dwarf Mount Everest.
    The volcanic mountain stands at 27km high, more than three times taller than our biggest mountain, Everest.
    In fact it’s so big, it’s the biggest mountain known in the Solar System. And if it was on Earth, it wouldn’t be able to cope with the gravitational pull and would collapse in on itself.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    hhtciej9gnt4.jpg

How far can you see? The most distant object easily visible to the unaided eye is M31, the great Andromeda Galaxy some two million light-years away. Without a telescope, even this immense spiral galaxy appears as an unremarkable, faint, nebulous cloud in the constellation Andromeda. But a bright yellow nucleus, dark winding dust lanes, gorgeous blue spiral arms and star clusters are recorded in this stunning telescopic digital mosaic of the nearby island universe.

While even casual skygazers are now inspired by the knowledge that there are many distant galaxies like M31, astronomers seriously debated this fundamental concept only 80 years ago. Were these "spiral nebulae" simply outlying components of our own Milky Way Galaxy or were they instead "island universes" -- distant systems of stars comparable to the Milky Way itself?

This question was central to the famous Shapley-Curtis debate of 1920, which was later resolved by observations of M31 in favor of Andromeda, island universe.

I would love to have a powerful telescope... I could gaze for hours. I'm gonna get one :)
  • cee134
    Options
    3tqrsjfmpubo.jpg

What has created a large dust ring around Saturn? At over 200 times the radius of Saturn and over 50 times the radius of Saturn's expansive E ring, the newly discovered dust ring is the largest planetary ring yet imaged. The ring was found in infrared light by the Earth-trailing Spitzer Space Telescope. A leading hypothesis for its origin is impact material ejected from Saturn's moon Phoebe, which orbits right through the dust ring's middle.

An additional possibility is that the dust ring supplies the mysterious material that coats part of Saturn's moon Iapetus, which orbits near the dust ring's inner edge. Pictured above in the inset, part of the dust ring appears as false-color orange in front of numerous background stars.

• cee134
    Options
    hhtciej9gnt4.jpg

I would love to have a powerful telescope... I could gaze for hours. I'm gonna get one :)

I am also thinking about getting one. Maybe not a super powerful one but a decent one like my friend has.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    hhtciej9gnt4.jpg

I am also thinking about getting one. Maybe not a super powerful one but a decent one like my friend has.

The Celestron 11068 NexStar 6SE. Would LOVE to have this one day :)

zcy0e8avu0ab.jpg
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    hhtciej9gnt4.jpg

The Celestron 11068 NexStar 6SE. Would LOVE to have this one day :)

zcy0e8avu0ab.jpg

I have a Celestron AstroMaster that Costco had around $200. It was to upgrade my older Cassini I bought years ago. Love the optics on the Celestron. Would LOVE to get to a 120mm+ size, but haven't wanted to spend the $$$ yet. Maybe when I retire.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Need to find a place to go stargazing, have an old Galileo scope that is pretty nice though not as shiny as the celestron. Hadn't wanted to drive 2 hours to go to the astronomy club's site yet but might do that in a couple weeks.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have one of these, an Orion 130 EQ: https://www.amazon.com/Orion-9851-SpaceProbe-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B0000XMSWK

It's a decent, all-round telescope, and the price wasn't too bad. Also have a selection of eyepieces and filters, and added a motor drive. My dream scope is a big, 12" Dobsonian (something like https://www.amazon.com/Orion-10023-IntelliScope-Dobsonian-Telescope/dp/B00E63KU8Y). I can't justify spending that kind of money right now, though.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Mine is the Galileo FS-102DX2 which isn't made any longer.
  • honeybee__12
    Options
    f9s2e4mrc6q9.jpeg

This is Sirius, the brightest star of the entire night sky, which is visible from almost everywhere on Earth except the northernmost regions. It is, in fact, a binary stellar system, and one of the nearest to our Sun – only eight light-years away.
    Known since antiquity, this star played a key role for the keeping of time and agriculture in Ancient Egypt, as its return to the sky was linked to the annual flooding of the Nile. In Ancient Greek mythology, it represented the eye of the Canis Major constellation, the Great Dog that diligently follows Orion, the Hunter.
    Dazzling stars like Sirius are both a blessing and a curse for astronomers. Their bright appearance provides plenty of light to study their properties, but also outshines other celestial sources that happen to lie in the same patch of sky.
    This is why Sirius has been masked in this picture taken by amateur astronomer Harald Kaiser on 10 January from Karlsruhe, a city in the southwest of Germany.
    Once the glare of Sirius is removed, an interesting object becomes visible to its left: the stellar cluster Gaia 1, first spotted last year using data from ESA's Gaia satellite.
    Gaia 1 is an open cluster – a family of stars all born at the same time and held together by gravity – and it is located some 15 000 light-years away. Its chance alignment next to nearby, bright Sirius kept it hidden to generations of astronomers that have been sweeping the heavens with their telescopes over the past four centuries. But not to the inquisitive eye of Gaia, which has been charting more than a billion stars in our Milky Way galaxy.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    zorander6 wrote: »
    Mine is the Galileo FS-102DX2 which isn't made any longer.

Nice setups for both. I would like to upgrade but I don't get out like I used to so really I have more than enough power for viewing.

• cee134
    Options
    oqy5vnncdih6.jpg

What could create a huge hole in the clouds? Such a hole, likely hundreds of meters across, was photographed last month from a driveway near Mobile, Alabama, USA. Very unusual to see, hole-punch clouds like this are still the topic of meteorological speculation. A leading hypothesis holds that the hole-punch cloud is caused by falling ice-crystals.

The ice-crystals could originate in a higher cloud or be facilitated by a passing airplane exhaust. If the air has just the right temperature and moisture content, the falling crystals will absorb water from the air and grow. For this to happen, the water must be so cold that all it needs is a surface to freeze on. The moisture lost from the air increases the evaporation rate from the cloud water droplets so they dissipate to form the hole.

The now heavier ice crystals continue to fall and form the more tenuous wispy cloud-like virga seen inside and just below the hole. Water and ice from the virga evaporates before they reach the ground.
  • cee134
    Options
    Open Star Clusters M35 and NGC 2158

gxadvx30j0mk.jpg

Open clusters of stars can be near or far, young or old, and diffuse or compact. Open clusters may contain from 100 to 10,000 stars, all of which formed at nearly the same time. Bright blue stars frequently distinguish younger open clusters. M35, pictured above on the upper left, is relatively nearby at 2800 light years distant, relatively young at 150 million years old, and relatively diffuse, with about 2500 stars spread out over a volume 30 light years across.

An older and more compact open cluster, NGC 2158, is visible above on the lower right. NGC 2158 is four times more distant that M35, over 10 times older, and much more compact as it contains many more stars in roughly the same volume of space. NGC 2158's bright blue stars have self-destructed, leaving cluster light to be dominated by older and yellower stars. Both clusters are visible toward the constellation of Gemini -- M35 with binoculars and NGC 2158 with a small telescope.