Options

Replies

• Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    ChaelAZ wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    hhtciej9gnt4.jpg

How far can you see? The most distant object easily visible to the unaided eye is M31, the great Andromeda Galaxy some two million light-years away. Without a telescope, even this immense spiral galaxy appears as an unremarkable, faint, nebulous cloud in the constellation Andromeda. But a bright yellow nucleus, dark winding dust lanes, gorgeous blue spiral arms and star clusters are recorded in this stunning telescopic digital mosaic of the nearby island universe.

While even casual skygazers are now inspired by the knowledge that there are many distant galaxies like M31, astronomers seriously debated this fundamental concept only 80 years ago. Were these "spiral nebulae" simply outlying components of our own Milky Way Galaxy or were they instead "island universes" -- distant systems of stars comparable to the Milky Way itself?

This question was central to the famous Shapley-Curtis debate of 1920, which was later resolved by observations of M31 in favor of Andromeda, island universe.

I would love to have a powerful telescope... I could gaze for hours. I'm gonna get one :)

I am also thinking about getting one. Maybe not a super powerful one but a decent one like my friend has.

The Celestron 11068 NexStar 6SE. Would LOVE to have this one day :)

zcy0e8avu0ab.jpg

I have a Celestron AstroMaster that Costco had around $200. It was to upgrade my older Cassini I bought years ago. Love the optics on the Celestron. Would LOVE to get to a 120mm+ size, but haven't wanted to spend the $$$ yet. Maybe when I retire.

The Nexstar is about 2 Grand... I might start with something a bit more modest for now. But who knows, I might just splurge on impulse!
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    You can get a decent one from the galileo series here both 135 and 160mm Not super expensive. Might upgrade mine if I start going out regularly.
  • honeybee__12
    honeybee__12 Posts: 15,688 Member
    Options
    3w05eo3trynz.jpeg

• honeybee__12
    Options
    ij29vgls964v.jpeg

Today, scientists know of over 2,000 pulsars. These rotating “lighthouse” neutron stars begin their lives as stars between about seven and 20 times the mass of our sun. Some are found to spin hundreds of times per second, faster than the blades of a household blender, and they possess enormously strong magnetic fields.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    0sguncbys298.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
    Spiral Galaxy NGC 6744

dqyp8873y02b.jpg

Beautiful spiral galaxy NGC 6744 is nearly 175,000 light-years across, larger than our own Milky Way. It lies some 30 million light-years distant in the southern constellation Pavo and appears as only a faint, extended object in small telescopes. We see the disk of the nearby island universe tilted towards our line of sight. This remarkably detailed galaxy portrait covers an area about the angular size of the full moon.

In it, the giant galaxy's elongated yellowish core is dominated by the light from old, cool stars. Beyond the core, grand spiral arms are filled with young blue star clusters and speckled with pinkish star forming regions. An extended arm sweeps past a smaller satellite galaxy at the upper left. NGC 6744's galactic companion is reminiscent of the Milky Way's satellite galaxy the Large Magellanic Cloud.
  • solorex
    solorex Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I should've never come in here.....now I'm thinking I'd like a telescope some day. :lol:
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    solorex wrote: »
    I should've never come in here.....now I'm thinking I'd like a telescope some day. :lol:

Give in to the telescope side, it is your destiny.
  • honeybee__12
    Options
    Marooned, Earth Veiw From Space -
    Pink Floyd
    https://youtu.be/D3gaiN0YL98
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The Parker solar probe looks pretty crazy. All those gravity assists from Venus....
  • cee134
    Options
    tvfr9hl6k8ww.jpg
    6d04mjue4rlb.png

"We'll also be the fastest human-made object ever, travelling around the Sun at speeds of up to 690,000km/h (430,000mph) - New York to Tokyo in under a minute!"

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-45160722
  • cee134
    Options
    The Pencil Nebula in Red and Blue

ns7fnbs1usdq.jpg

This shock wave plows through interstellar space at over 500,000 kilometers per hour. Near the top and moving up in this sharply detailed color composite, thin, bright, braided filaments are actually long ripples in a cosmic sheet of glowing gas seen almost edge-on. Cataloged as NGC 2736, its elongated appearance suggests its popular name, the Pencil Nebula.

The Pencil Nebula is about 5 light-years long and 800 light-years away, but represents only a small part of the Vela supernova remnant. The Vela remnant itself is around 100 light-years in diameter, the expanding debris cloud of a star that was seen to explode about 11,000 years ago. Initially, the shock wave was moving at millions of kilometers per hour but has slowed considerably, sweeping up surrounding interstellar material. In the featured narrow-band, wide field image, red and blue colors track the characteristic glow of ionized hydrogen and oxygen atoms, respectively.
  • honeybee__12
    Options
    8vy3u8mhrfze.jpeg

8tgnhpx5xgry.jpeg
  • cee134
    Options
    M86 in the Central Virgo Cluster

auah5ys9prjz.jpg

Is there a bridge of gas connecting these two great galaxies? Quite possibly, but it is hard to be sure. M86 on the upper left is a giant elliptical galaxy near the center of the nearby Virgo Cluster of galaxies. Our Milky Way Galaxy is falling toward the Virgo Cluster, located about 50 million light years away. To the lower right of M86 is unusual spiral galaxy NGC 4438, which, together with angular neighbor NGC 4435, are known as the Eyes Galaxies (also Arp 120).

Featured here is one of the deeper images yet taken of the region, indicating that red-glowing gas surrounds M86 and seemingly connects it to NGC 4438. The image spans about the size of the full moon. It is also known, however, that cirrus gas in our own Galaxy is superposed in front of the Virgo cluster, and observations of the low speed of this gas seem more consistent with this Milky Way origin hypothesis. A definitive answer may come from future research, which may also resolve how the extended blue arms of NGC 4435 were created.
  • honeybee__12
    Options
    h3ex1pfsvtbc.jpeg
    eee507cki856.jpeg

• honeybee__12
    Options
    ^^^^^^
    “Uncountable number of stars in the known universe”

That sounds wrong to me,
    how can the universe be known if we can’t count the stars? :o
  • cee134
    Options
    ^^^^^^
    “Uncountable number of stars in the known universe”

That sounds wrong to me,
    how can the universe be known if we can’t count the stars? :o

kgtt2pwgmv96.jpg

The observable universe is a spherical region of the Universe comprising all matter that can be observed from Earth at the present time, because electromagnetic radiation from these objects has had time to reach Earth since the beginning of the cosmological expansion. There are at least 2 trillion galaxies in the observable universe.

Since the universe has been expanding for 13.8 billion years, the comoving distance (radius) is now about 46.6 billion light-years and its diameter about 28.5 gigaparsecs (93 billion light-years, 8.8×1023 kilometers or 5.5×1023 miles).
  • cee134
    Options
    Launch of the Parker Solar Probe

gcz1bbpql183.jpg

When is the best time to launch a probe to the Sun? The now historic answer -- which is not a joke because this really happened this past weekend -- was at night. Night, not only because NASA's Parker Solar Probe's (PSP) launch window to its planned orbit occurred, in part, at night, but also because most PSP instruments will operate in the shadow of its shield -- in effect creating its own perpetual night near the Sun.

Before then, years will pass as the PSP sheds enough orbital energy to approach the Sun, swinging past Venus seven times. Eventually, the PSP is scheduled to pass dangerously close to the Sun, within 9 solar radii, the closest ever. This close, the temperature will be 1,400 degrees Celsius on the day side of the PSP's Sun shield -- hot enough to melt many forms of glass. On the night side, though, it will be near room temperature.

A major goal of the PSP's mission to the Sun is to increase humanity's understanding of the Sun's explosions that impact Earth's satellites and power grids. Pictured is the night launch of the PSP aboard the United Launch Alliances' Delta IV Heavy rocket early Sunday morning.
  • cee134
    Options
    cxvf1n4fd7it.jpg

Galaxies are fascinating not only for what is visible, but for what is invisible. Grand spiral galaxy NGC 1232, captured in detail by one of the Very Large Telescopes, is a good example. The visible is dominated by millions of bright stars and dark dust, caught up in a gravitational swirl of spiral arms revolving about the center. Open clusters containing bright blue stars can be seen sprinkled along these spiral arms, while dark lanes of dense interstellar dust can be seen sprinkled between them.

Less visible, but detectable, are billions of dim normal stars and vast tracts of interstellar gas, together wielding such high mass that they dominate the dynamics of the inner galaxy. Leading theories indicate that even greater amounts of matter are invisible, in a form we don't yet know. This pervasive dark matter is postulated, in part, to explain the motions of the visible matter in the outer regions of galaxies.
  • honeybee__12
    Options
    r2rwb2s5mnq8.png

A comet is a very small solar system body made mostly of ices mixed with smaller amounts of dust and rock. Most comets are no larger than a few kilometres across. The main body of the comet is called the nucleus, and it can contain water, methane, nitrogen and other ices.
    When a comet is heated by the Sun, its ices begin to sublimate (similar to the way dry ice “fizzes” when you leave it in sunlight). The mixture of ice crystals and dust blows away from the comet nucleus in the solar wind, creating a pair of tails. The dust tail is what we normally see when we view comets from Earth.
    A plasma tail also forms when molecules of gas are “excited” by interaction with the solar wind. The plasma tail is not normally seen with the naked eye, but can be imaged. Comets normally orbit the Sun, and have their origins in the Oort Cloud and Kuiper Belt regions of the outer solar system.