What's up with kids these days?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    I kinda feel sorry for the youngings. It's harder and less fun growing up and becoming adults these days - can't roam freely much, very little privacy, the textbooks are 10 times bigger and less useful, and not too many decent paying jobs for their parents. I live in the U.S., not North Korea, in case if anyone was wondering.
    I don't. Kids today don't know they aren't having fun. They have fun differently than when I was growing up. Mine was outdoor play, kids today like making videos and playing video games. Heck back when I was a kid, I'd have wanted what kids have today when it comes to electronics. And I bet my parents thought the same of my generation.
    But still, kids can still have good manners and respect. Many today don't. That starts at home, not in the schools.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• IslaTiempo
    IslaTiempo Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If I had a dollar for every time someone over 40 complained about my generation I'd be able to afford a house in the economy they ruined.

It is history repeating itself. Our parents didn't ruin the economy.

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I kinda feel sorry for the youngings. It's harder and less fun growing up and becoming adults these days - can't roam freely much, very little privacy, the textbooks are 10 times bigger and less useful, and not too many decent paying jobs for their parents. I live in the U.S., not North Korea, in case if anyone was wondering.
    I don't. Kids today don't know they aren't having fun. They have fun differently than when I was growing up. Mine was outdoor play, kids today like making videos and playing video games. Heck back when I was a kid, I'd have wanted what kids have today when it comes to electronics. And I bet my parents thought the same of my generation.
    But still, kids can still have good manners and respect. Many today don't. That starts at home, not in the schools.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Agreed. Also as someone that works with kids and their parents everyday, so I see their interactions. Too many parents want to be hip, cool and their kids' friend rather than their disciplinary. Not all, but way too many parents are this way. These kids talk to me the way their parents allow them to talk to them. Rude, disrespectful and no manners at all. Guess what? The kids who have parents that are more of a disciplinary figure are always polite. I am in no way saying there isn't room for fun and joking around, nor that the polite kids don't have their snotty kid moments but the snotty moments are way more rare than the kids that aren't taught how to behave in public. I wasn't always respectful or mindful of my parents rules. I have since apologized to them for this but I never ever would have talked to strangers in public the way I have been talked to by some kids the past 10 years. The way the behave has nothing to do with their appearance, I believe everyone should be allowed to portray their personality. But they should also be kind and respectful.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    They have been raised to believe that they are all special. You show up at a game, you get a trophy. Didn't win? Of course you did, there are no losers. Didn't get a good grade? You just don't test well, therefor you get another chance but this time the timed portions are lifted. Want to be in the talent show? Good thing that in favor of not excluding anyone there are no auditions, everyone has talent. Fact is, very few are talented, special or extraordinarily smart. Parents cannot accept that their kids are average so they lower the bar for special so no one gets their feelings hurt. Then kids go out into the real world and don't know how to lose. Don't know how to earn what they want because they were taught that they are entitled to everything.

I was thinking these same things just last night. And was just complaining to a friend a few minutes ago about my daughter's basketball game shortly, they don't keep score as so no one feels like a Loser.

This also sounds like a day on the interwebz with some adults.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    many children and their parents would benefit greatly from having the hand of knowledges and wisdom repeatedly, and with vigor, applied to the seat of learning.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My son does kick boxing (fighting & forms) football, Irish football, hurling and rugby - he know there are winners and losers in every game.

Sometimes the winner doesn't deserve the win, sometimes the loser doesn't deserve to lose, but that's the way it is and he'll congratulate the winner or show grace to the loser.

Giving every participant a medal in a talent show is ok, it's an acknowledgment for having the courage to get up and do something in frount of a crowd of people, it encourages further participation as children get older.

I agree - Not having a winner/loser in a talent competition or sport is a whole different kettle of fish ...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't think kids are necessarily different but lifestyles are different. The world is different. Some things are better and some are worse.
    When I was a kid:
    We were at home more with our families
    Parents didn't arrange playdates or intercede in our social difficulties (bullying)
    Parents didn't question teachers or schools. They were not as involved in homework or education. Less testing was done. Less support for kids with learning issues.
    Most kids were in maybe one club, sport or activity outside of school
    We walked to school or rode the bus from a young age. Parents rarely took kids to school or picked them up.
    Fewer households with both parents working or single parents.
    Birthday parties were smaller and less themed affairs.
    More art, music, home economics, shop classes.
    Our movements were not monitored. No cell phones. No social media. No internet. No nanny cams.
    Not every kid was expected to go to preschool or even college. There were only ceremonies and fuss for high school and college gradualtions.
    No one was open about being lgbtq.

I see many kids these days who are very serious and anxious about their futures from a young age. I know a lot of really outstanding young people who are more open and accepting of differences than people were when I was young.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Doesn't every generation of old people say this?

IDK...I'm 42...I know lot of great kids.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

Though iirc the crime statistics are the same or lower than when I was a kid so there isn't a reason for (most) kids to roam freely. I also find there are more job opportunities now than when my parents were young adults especially for women. When my mom graduated from high school the majority of females in her class became either a stay at home mom, nurse, teacher or secretary. I'm not young but I'm not ancient (I'm 40)

Eta I'm not American ;)

I'm not Canadian either but every other day we have a neighbourhood boy ride over on his scooter and knock on our door and ask if my son can come out to play. We walk to school, my son comes home for lunch. There are always herds of kids in the playground at the school, our older neighbour boys are always out on their scooters with friends.

Kids are encouraged to remain kids in my neighbourhood...of course I also usually leave a door unlocked, there are lots of stay at home moms and all the neighbours know each others' business so I guess I just live in a throw back to 1950s neighbourhood.

Thats awesome :smiley: