Have you ever been surprised at the amount of calories ?

Options
There's this dine in theater in town I go to all the time and I'm planning to go tomorrow to see Fantastical Beasts and Where to Find Them so I decided to look up the nutritional information of some the items I usually get (it's on their website).

I had to double check I was reading the information correctly, but the item I usually get has 1700 calories in it. :o

So yeah, so much no to that. I will be eating beforehand. I just can't even believe....1700 calories?!

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My sandwich most mornings for breakfast is 1000 to 1400 calories my lunch steak sandwich is over 1500 stuff adds up quick
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    There's this dine in theater in town I go to all the time and I'm planning to go tomorrow to see Fantastical Beasts and Where to Find Them so I decided to look up the nutritional information of some the items I usually get (it's on their website).

I had to double check I was reading the information correctly, but the item I usually get has 1700 calories in it. :o

So yeah, so much no to that. I will be eating beforehand. I just can't even believe....1700 calories?!

What is it?
  • italianseal
    italianseal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went to TGI Fridays and got the Jack Daniel's Burger only the burger was 1500 and I always got the double so maybe 2000 and adding to that the French fries and the milkshake
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

What is it?

This... Inquiring minds want to know.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options

What is it?

This... Inquiring minds want to know.

Chicken strips + fries.

You get maybe four small to medium chicken strips and a handful of skinny fries. It's not even what I would consider a large serving of food. I don't usually finish my food when I go places but I usually eat most of that.

And what was even more shocking is everything on the menu was high in calories. There was a 1000 calorie salad. I'll just eat elsewhere beforehand it's not a big deal, but I never would've imagined so many calories in that especially when I've had chicken strips + fries at other places and it not be nearly as many calories.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yeah, restaurant calories are outrageous! That's why I always take at least half of the meal home. My bf and I went to Red Robin the other week and I took half of the veggie burger, fries, and broccoli home. And buffets are just a waste of my time (and money) lol...
  • everher
    Options
    Yeah, restaurant calories are outrageous! That's why I always take at least half of the meal home. My bf and I went to Red Robin the other week and I took half of the veggie burger, fries, and broccoli home. And buffets are just a waste of my time (and money) lol...

There's this Chinese buffet that I love near my house. I haven't remotely figured out how I will fit it into my life now. I know I will go again in the future but I guess I will limit myself to one plate of food but even then I'm in my head like how many calories is in this ?!
  • everher
    Options
    Peanut butter!! I used to SLATHER it on my toast. Now trying to spread a tablespoon on 2 slices of bread is just depressing.

I wonder if anyone has ever found a work around for this. I didn't necessarily love peanut butter, but I liked it but I feel like a tablespoon isn't worth bothering with. And other nut butters don't seem to be that much bang for your buck either.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!! I used to SLATHER it on my toast. Now trying to spread a tablespoon on 2 slices of bread is just depressing.

I wonder if anyone has ever found a work around for this. I didn't necessarily love peanut butter, but I liked it but I feel like a tablespoon isn't worth bothering with. And other nut butters don't seem to be that much bang for your buck either.

PB2 Powder
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I use Protein Plus peanut flour. It is cheaper and better than PB2 powder (macro wise).
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    Arbys Chicken Bacon Swiss and medium side of curly fries equals 1200

Mind blown ... thats my entire day of calories

Subways Chicken Bacon Ranch sub is also 1200 calories... mind blown again

Yeah... when hubby wants to go to Arby's in the mall food court now, I go to Edo Japan on the other side and get a chicken teriyaki instead! Half the calories and way more satisfying. Even though I do like Arby's sandwiches, they're just not filling enough for the calories. If we go to Subway, I usually have a 6" sub with either roast beef or chicken teriyaki now, no cheese or mayo these days. My favourite used to be the tuna, but that has more calories than anything else I used to get there!

My recent shock was Fatburger's milkshakes. I absolutely LOVE their strawberry shakes, and decided to have one when we went there a couple of weeks ago. I did look it up online beforehand, and decided to just take the hit and have one anyway, but it was 970 calories...! My chicken sandwich and handful of fries (stolen from hubby and son!) was way less than that.

My daily allowance without exercise is only 1290 calories, but a girl cannot live on one milkshake alone... no matter how delicious it is! It was the first one I've had since January when I started this journey, and I certainly won't be having them often in future!

Like @MissusMoon said, it's easy to see how I became obese once I started being more aware of the amount of calories in everything. It's kind of sad to lose that careless attitude, but definitely way better for my health and my figure! :)
  • everher
    Options
    It's amazing to me how something you would think would have moderate calories has nearly your total daily amount or in some cases even more than you should eat in a day.

I used to eat out a ton. I would go out everyday for lunch and several times during the week for dinner. In the last 4 months (before joining MFP) I gained 13 lbs.

It's really no wonder with what I was putting in my mouth but I really had no idea that some things had so many calories.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    1 piece of pie at Shari's 600-700 calories! Guess I need to be more judicious about taking advantage of free pie night lol!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Everything. Bagels (400 calories for a medium one from the bagel shop). Fresh veggies at Texas Roadhouse 190 calories (still can't wrap my head around that one. There isn't that much butter on them!).

But yeah, desserts - pretty much all of them. I've had one milkshake in 4 years, and it was after I got my wisdom teeth removed... and even then, I thought it wasn't worth the calories. Any dessert from restaurant is 700-2000 calories, it's ridiculous... 600 calories for a piece of pie, 600-1200 for a piece of cheesecake. Sigh. And it's not even that huge! Really depressing when you have a sweet tooth.