Have you ever been surprised at the amount of calories ?

Options

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Not really... if I want it, I'm probably gonna eat it anyway. Lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700 calories each time I see a movie. Small popcorn, 2 hotdogs, nachos and Milkduds..........oh with a diet Coke.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Dairy Queen blizzards...soooo good but so many calories!
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My old favorite after work dinner was Jack In The Box: Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger: 910Cal, Large Curly Fries: 580Cal, Large Dr. Pepper: 360 Cals, Side of Jalapeno Poppers (Large): 510 Cals, Buttermilk Dipping Sauce: 130 Cals. Some nights I would add Two Tacos: 380 Cals, or Mozzarella Sticks: 560 Cals.

Thats 1,850Cals for the meal. 1,980Cals with dipping sauce. 2,490 was my "regular" order. 3,430 Cals if I went all out.

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yeah when it comes to restaurants I check their website prior to going and plan what I'm going to order so I'm not shocked and surprised logging it after leaving. It's insane how many calories they can pack into something simple like a burger. I can always make something similar at home for far less calories
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I really like these Orange and Poppyseed muffin from a bakery on the way to work. I'd get one a couple times a week to munch on, not as a meal, but just an addition. They finally got their nutritional info out, and there was almost 900 calories in that sucker!!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I really like these Orange and Poppyseed muffin from a bakery on the way to work. I'd get one a couple times a week to munch on, not as a meal, but just an addition. They finally got their nutritional info out, and there was almost 900 calories in that sucker!!

I almost died when you said 900 calories in a muffin. A muffin.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »

I almost died when you said 900 calories in a muffin. A muffin.

Right?? A flippin' MUFFIN!
  • cassababys
    cassababys Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Smoked turkey leg from the fair- Almost 600 calories!
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I tasted a sample of classic wedding cake yesterday, only a square about 2 inch x 2inch... Logged it and it was like 250 calories for such a small piece! And then basically anything you'd ever eat in a restaurant. What do they put in the food to make it soooo unhealthy?!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    cassababys wrote: »

Haha I thought it was closer to 1200 actually (counting the skin and all).

For burgers it's usually a 1/2 lb patty so that's close to 600/700 calories right there.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I love em but log em as twice that to be honest
  • Eleniala
    Eleniala Posts: 87 Member
    Options

It might be around 600 calories if you prepare it at home in a health-conscious manner. A typical turkey leg at the fair is often much bigger (from a very large bird) and loaded with grease, and as others have stated around 1,200 calories. So you can DOUBLE your shock and amazement. ;-)

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Went to Fuddruckers for my birthday last month, got a 1/2 burger without the bun, because I was monitoring carbs at the time due to a few elevated blood glucose levels.....before adding the cheese, mayo, and etc...like close to 1k! Thank goodness I didn't get fries!
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    My go to burger... 1510 calories and that's just the burger, not the fries.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options

Oh yeah, muffins are the thing that really get to me. So many calories in a good bakery muffin. They are one of the only things I've pretty much cut out because I just can't justify.

Restaurant burgers don't surprise me really, but they are hard to fit in, which is too bad because I love them. I did about 5 hours worth of exercise on Saturday and the first thing I did was go out for a nice burger and fries because I finally had a huge calorie deficit to work with!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Katsu curry from Wagamamas is 1200cals and the portion is not vast.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    Subways Chicken Bacon Ranch sub is also 1200 calories... mind blown again

Leave off the ranch and it'll be -210 for a footlong. Take it home and use a light or fat free ranch and you'll save around 150 calories. I love subway but we almost always do this ourselves, leave off the sauces, take it home and use our own light or fat free versions.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Very few things surprise me anymore.

Muffins are basically cupcakes - and usually 2-3 times the size of those made in a standard cupcake tin when from a store or restaurant, so yeah. 800-1000 cals easy.

I knew enough that when I ordered a turkey club from a 'whole foods' restaurant I'd never been to before I told them to leave off the cheese and bacon since it also had aioli and avocado that I wanted. Still came out to 700+ cals even though it was on normal sandwich sized bread simply because they put what appeared to be 5-6 oz of turkey, half of an avocado and a couple of tbs of aioli on it.

It was very tasty. Not 700+ cals tasty, though.