What is the right amount of protein?

Options
124»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    sgrathwol wrote: »
    ITs amazing how much knowledge is out there, so much it hype (protein & suppl industry) it tough to decipher fact vs. lie. I will tone it back thanks to your suggestions!

I've always found this assertion odd, given that there are often cheaper protein aources than most supplements offer. Pair that with the fact that some of the more prominent supp companies only recommend 1g/lbs. LBM (well in line with all but the most ludicrously low recs), and you can see why I am skeptical of the "hype to sell a product" thing. It's not CellTech we're talking about here.
  • sgrathwol
    sgrathwol Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Im sorry what do you mean?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    What is the right amount of protein?
    A topic for much debate.

Some say 100-130g for 180 lb man some say over 200 or 30-40% of caloric intake
    What research have you guys found?
    Any speculation on the side effects?

What is the absorption rate per meal ive heard the max is around 30g
    The consensus seems to be .8 grams per pound of bodyweight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    If too much protein was a problem, I would have been done for years ago. I don't specifically track macros but I know what I eat and I eat a lot of lean meat. A typical day for me is 300+ grams and it used to be even higher when I commonly ate pounds of meat in a single meal.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There is lots of research to show that in a normal diet maintaining weight .8 to 1 gram per pound is plenty and more doesn't hurt, but doesn't really help either. When you are in a calorie deficit there has been some studies show that more protein will help you maintain more muscle while you lose. I tend to stay in the 1.2 grams per pound range. There is much debate and argument over it. Higher protein when cutting has worked well for me.
  • sgrathwol
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    If too much protein was a problem, I would have been done for years ago. I don't specifically track macros but I know what I eat and I eat a lot of lean meat. A typical day for me is 300+ grams and it used to be even higher when I commonly ate pounds of meat in a single meal.

300+ what the????
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

300+ what the????

I was over 400g yesterday. vOv

Hell, my first meal alone today is around 100-ish.
  • sgrathwol
    Options

300+ what the????

I was over 400g yesterday. vOv

Hell, my first meal alone today is around 100-ish.

what do you eat?