What would you make for a bake sale?

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I want to help the school with their Christmas bake sale but I'm a bit clueless. I'm not a very crafty person so it needs to be simple, and not cost an arm in a leg in wrapping costs.

I'm not sure what would actually sell well in an elementary school either. Thoughts?

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited November 2016
    Bags of caramel corn.
    Chocolate-dipped Oreos/marshmallows - on sticks. Kids love ANYTHING on a stick.
    Decorated pretzels.

Cello bags and curling ribbon are pretty cheap.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Chocolate Oatmeal Drops
    Oatmeal Butterscotchies
    Mini cheesecakes in muffin liners
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Puppy chow or Muddy Buddies. Easy, no bake, and you can easily portion into decorated zip bags.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Christmas shaped mini pretzels with melted rolos. Place one pretzel on the cookie sheet with a rolo centered on it, put it in the oven on the lowest setting for just a few minutes, then smush another pretzel on top and let cool. You could make a bunch and separate them in to Christmas themed snack sized ziplock bags. They're so good and soooo easy.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2016
    Cookies are great for portioning and wrapping, but everyone's making cookies, so you'd want them to be cookies that nobody else is making. I've never been to a party, bake sale, etc that featured Maple Walnut Cookies.

maple-cookies.jpg
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    I would be wary about making anything with nuts. Lots of schools are nut-free.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I would be wary about making anything with nuts. Lots of schools are nut-free.

The school will have their rules publicized. They can always be made without nuts. You'd yield fewer cookies.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Popcorn balls
    Big chocolate covered pretzel sticks with sprinkles or crushed peppermint candy
    Pepperment bark
    Gingerbread crinkle cookies
    Cheddar star crackers
    Mini muffins
    Soft pretzels
    Bread
  • SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    Cake Pops.. super cute and bite sized, great for kids, easy to make.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Quiches, Pies, Cupcakes, muffins, Tea cake loaves or bundt or mini bundt cakes, cookies, slices, sausage rolls, meat pies, baklava, rugelach, Hamantash .... ** Prefer to stuff cupcakes/muffins to make it a little different.

If parents/guardians are being invited to purchase, then you may bake standard sizes. If it is a bake sale garnered for the student body + Admin/Staff, then bake mini versions of whatever you choose to, unless you're going to bake chocolate chip cookies (huge chunks of chocolates) - go large, so they may sell those individually - schools here, tend to charge $5 for a chocolate chip cookie with a small cup of hot cocoa for school events.

The baking section at Walmart/Target and Kmart all have to go cookie, cake and cupcake boxes. You buy them in packs of 5 or 10. Individual large cookies are usually wrapped in Saran wrap and are placed in dressed baskets or platters.

Everso sweet of you. Cheers!

ggovxzrfbz78.png
    gmx2nxqxy82s.png
    cpy83nkitn5q.jpg
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    We just had a Halloween dance with bake sale at our elementary. The things that sold best were:

Chocolate/white chocolate dipped large pretzel rods with fancy themed sprinkles.
    Chocolate dipped oreos, also with sprinkles.
    Cake pops.
    Plain old chocolate chip cookies (but don't bag them until they are completely cooled. One had slightly melted chocolate in the bags...those did not sell.)

• Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    I usually make peanut butter cookies- super simple and easy to make. The recipe I use is actually gluten free too.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2016
    Christmas shaped mini pretzels with melted rolos. Place one pretzel on the cookie sheet with a rolo centered on it, put it in the oven on the lowest setting for just a few minutes, then smush another pretzel on top and let cool. You could make a bunch and separate them in to Christmas themed snack sized ziplock bags. They're so good and soooo easy.

I love these! Instead of a second pretzel, I push a pecan half into the rolo and make a sort of turtle out of it.
    Trail mixes are good. I second the brownie suggestion, too, or caramel apples with peanuts.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Brussel sprout cream pie. :p

Only if you crumble bacon on top, though..can't have my Brussels sprouts without bacon..
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    mini pies aka hand pies. Buy premade crust and premade pie filling!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Nanaimo bars, always nanaimo bars.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Brussel sprout cream pie. :p
    No, make cauliflower donuts

My nieces and nephew love those pretzels with Kisses pressed onto them.