How to figure out my calories

Options
I'm 29 years old. 4'9" and about 232 lbs. I'm looking to get to 120 or so.
I'm not much for exercise as I have bad ankles but would like to try using the treadmill daily for about an hour. Most of the time I am on the couch crocheting or watching tv.

I had put in my info but it gave me 1200. Which I feel is not enough.

If anyone can help me figure it out.
Please and thank you

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    If you are sedentary, the default is 1200. It generally isn't good to eat much less than this. If you want to eat more, you'll need to exercise more if you want to lose weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    If you are sedentary, the default is 1200. It generally isn't good to eat much less than this. If you want to eat more, you'll need to exercise more if you want to lose weight.

Don't listen to this.

Bad ankles is usually from the weight.
    Do you have access to a pool? Local fitness club or association?
    Train in the pool.
    Also, basic calisthenics ala Convict Conditioning on YouTube would be an excellent start. Dragonloki has an excellent channel. Start on step 1 and work it!

You wabt to weigh 120?
    1600kcal would be a great start.
    Anything less and you'd probably be miserable.

Questions? Reach out and I'd be glad to help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why not do more activity through the day to get more calories?
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I just entered your stats on my app and it gave me 1640 calories per day. This is what I did...

Enter current wt
    Enter goal wt
    Chose Lose 1 lb per week
    Chose Not very active ** (this one is important)

Each week when you lose a pound you will need to change your current wait. The trend that I see is that for everything 4-5 pounds that i loose the app reduces my daily calories between 20 and 30 per day.

And if you use the app MAPMYWALK and Link it up to my fitness pal then you can track how many calories you burn when you go out for a long walk or some kind of walking activity or even jogging. You can even use it while you're on the treadmill. Look at the settings.

When you to add extra activity such as any cardio or aerobic or even going for an extra long walk for a few of miles make sure that you track the calories. Then you can eat back half of the calories that you burned. I used to eat back all the calories burned from doing Zumba, yoga, Aqua fit, and pilates, and even one hour of strength training with 7 to 10 different machines. I did not understand how for months I could not lose any weight.

Now your problem should be fixed. If not send me a personal message and I'll see what else I can do to help you. Also make sure that you take the chance to read the section that says get started or getting started.

*By the way 2140 cal is maitainence for your weight. Just eat 500 calories less per day and you lose one pound per week.

Feel free to add me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    The 1600 number is pretty close to low activity people maintaining 120 fyi.

If you want the complexity of counting calories, eating back calories, weighing food, re entering data, reevaluating numbers.....

Or just eat 1600ish calories till goal.

Complex or simple
    Its really up to your ability to juggle that and whatever life is throwing you.
  • SapphireMoon23
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The app says that 1510 calories is what a person who weighs 120 pounds and has an activity level of Not very active needs in order to just maintain your weight. Fyi

• Helloitsdan
    Options
    The app says that 1510 calories is what a person who weighs 120 pounds and has an activity level of Not very active needs in order to just maintain your weight. Fyi

We can split hairs if you like!

I understand why you would say that. Im using actual formulas that I use in my business as a nutritional consultant and habit coach.

Two things you should understand:
    1). Calories on packaging as well as reported on websites have up to a 30% margin of error.

2). Our bodies aren't machines meaning if you eat 150kcal of protein, you don't necessarily absorb 150kcal of protein.

OP you of course want to decide on what you'll be able to maintain over the course of a year and beyond. If you need help, feel free to add me as a friend.

• Kaysteroni
    Kaysteroni Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Don't listen to this.

Bad ankles is usually from the weight.
    Do you have access to a pool? Local fitness club or association?
    Train in the pool.
    Also, basic calisthenics ala Convict Conditioning on YouTube would be an excellent start. Dragonloki has an excellent channel. Start on step 1 and work it!

You wabt to weigh 120?
    1600kcal would be a great start.
    Anything less and you'd probably be miserable.

Questions? Reach out and I'd be glad to help.

I don't have access to a pool. I eventually want to buy one for my backyard.
    I can't afford a gym as I'm on disability.
    Yes, my doctor says that my goal weight should be about 120

• Helloitsdan
    Options
    What does your doctor have you doing now, to get your weight down?
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    He has me on Metformin (I'm diabetic). He says to cut out most sugary foods. Cut back on fat and try to eat more fruits and vegetables.
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    I haven't actually tried yet. I just had surgery a couple weeks ago and I'm still healing.
  • SapphireMoon23
    Options
    Look in your library for the book called
    Dr Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes. Great book. Diabetes runs in my family. I reversed mine with good nutrition & weightloss. Check on your library's website to see if they have OverDrive you might be able to borrow the book in digital form, audio or ebook.
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    Look in your library for the book called
    Dr Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes. Great book. Diabetes runs in my family. I reversed mine with good nutrition & weightloss. Check on your library's website to see if they have OverDrive you might be able to borrow the book in digital form, audio or ebook.

My doctor told me that once you get diabetes you always have it. Its just under control.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    input your stats into mfp(height,weight,age) and put in sedentary. aim for a slow loss of 1-1.5 lbs a week as 2 lbs(1200) may be too hard for you to sustain(not saying it will be but you can try it). eat to those calories and you should lose the weight even without exercise. slower weight loss is actually better in the long run.Do you have a ymca/ywca near you? if not thats fine if you want to work out there are plenty of free videos online. fitnesblender.com is a good site and they have everything from beginner to advanced. but exercise is mainly for health and not needed for weight loss
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    I actually live right next door to a ywca. But I can't afford to go there.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

the lowest amount for any woman on mfp is 1200.sedentary or not. and no she doesnt need to exercise more to eat more,she can choose a less aggressive weight loss goal to be able to eat more. she is overweight so she should be able to eat more than 1200 and lose weight. you also dont change or update your weight with every lb you lose, its every 10 lbs you lose.heck at a higher weight it could for some be 20lbs. as for a 120 lb person only needing 1510 calories to maintain weight,thats not going to be everyone. everyone is different.
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    I was always taught that the more I eat the more I gain.
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    I have bad ankles because of arthritis and the way I sleep at night
  • SapphireMoon23
    Options
    Your doctor is wrong. I get blood work every 6 months and I'm literally not diabetic anymore and I have met other people who have also reversed their diabetes. It's all in the proof of the blood work. Best wishes to you.
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    I have had normal levels for about 2 years but I'm still diabetic