How to figure out my calories

Options

Replies

• Kaysteroni
    Kaysteroni Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    I agree mostly with @cerise_noir and I'm sorry there's so much negativity in your thread. You are right about how eating too much causes weight gain. I was pointing out that fruit is high in calories and eating too much of it can cause weight gain. This and too much of everything else. When I started my weight loss I had never used a food scale. When I weighed that first bowl of cereal I was in shock. A serving size is so tiny. Then I tared the scale and sliced my banana up. I realized quickly that I had to eat less per meal or eat fewer meals. It was a real eye opener.

I didn't know you had diabetic and thyroid issues. There are many people who have learned new ways of eating and have overcome health issues by researching different diets and using this app. Do watch your sugar intake and don't give up. Get a food scale because they are so amazing. You'll learn more as you go.

Edit to add:
    @Helloitsdan mentioned a multi-vitamin. I agree. Starting a diet can lead to nutritional deficiencies and make one physically sick. I have not been sick in over a year.

I have a food scale.
    I have some deficiencies now because growing up in my teens I could never go outside when the sun was shining or I would get sick. So I'm taking vitamin D.
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    I try not to have snacks as I find if I do I end up wanting the wrong thing. So I just stick with breakfast, lunch and dinner. I try to keep my hands and mind busy during the day to keep my mind off food, so I've been trying to learn how to crochet.
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    So should I aim for 1500-1600 then?
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    I don't have a lot to buy groceries. So it's going to be really hard
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Kaysteroni wrote: »
    So should I aim for 1500-1600 then?

try it, you could also eat calorie dense foods such as peanut butter,oils, avocado,nuts,etc to get your calories in.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like to eat within your calorie goal. After a few months you will learn what keeps you satisfied longer and what may not be worth the calories to eat often.

It's super simple, if you eat the things you like you will be setting yourself up to properly maintain your weight loss which is the end goal.

The only exercise I do right now is walking 3x a week, oh and I do the plank to help with body strength mostly my bad back.

You're smart, don't over think it and make it more complicated then it really is!

Good luck!!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I agree mostly with @cerise_noir and I'm sorry there's so much negativity in your thread. You are right about how eating too much causes weight gain. I was pointing out that fruit is high in calories and eating too much of it can cause weight gain. This and too much of everything else. When I started my weight loss I had never used a food scale. When I weighed that first bowl of cereal I was in shock. A serving size is so tiny. Then I tared the scale and sliced my banana up. I realized quickly that I had to eat less per meal or eat fewer meals. It was a real eye opener.

I didn't know you had diabetic and thyroid issues. There are many people who have learned new ways of eating and have overcome health issues by researching different diets and using this app. Do watch your sugar intake and don't give up. Get a food scale because they are so amazing. You'll learn more as you go.

Edit to add:
    @Helloitsdan mentioned a multi-vitamin. I agree. Starting a diet can lead to nutritional deficiencies and make one physically sick. I have not been sick in over a year.

NO negativity. I just type in a blunt 'tone'. ;) And in the rest of the thread, it is mostly the same. It is hard to attach mood to text unless emoticons are used. I always tend to read internet posts in a monotone.

Yes, weighing food is a huge eye opener. In someways, huuuuugely disappointing. :/
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Edit to add:

NO negativity. I just type in a blunt 'tone'. ;) And in the rest of the thread, it is mostly the same. It is hard to attach mood to text unless emoticons are used. I always tend to read internet posts in a monotone.

Yes, weighing food is a huge eye opener. In someways, huuuuugely disappointing. :/

Your post needed more smileys. LOL and a couple of LOLOLOLs. I read your reply and I didn't get the same negativity. You go BlackCherry!!
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    Is anyone able to help me figure what to buy to last 28 days for about $200.
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    What do you normally buy?
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    Stuff I shouldn't be buying. I normally just buy what I can within my budget. Whatever I see with a sale sticker.
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    It is just harder this month because of Christmas around the corner
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I wanted to touch on this, "I live next door to a YWCA, I can't afford to go there."

In my area, the Y has sliding scale and even 100% free membership for some people. If I were you, Kay, I would go over there and see what (if anything) they can do for you to help you get a couple days of exercise. It will help your hunger levels a lot and will help you in many other ways as well. I would be a mental basket case if I didn't get any exercise.

Talk to someone in the membership office and tell them you want to come over at least 2/3 days a week for an hour. I'm sure they will find a way. Then as soon as you can, start to give them a few dollars.

Also, are you on Medicaid (you don't have to answer that) - or any insurance at all? Call them and tell them about your surgery. You should qualify for physical therapy - most physical therapy practices have access to a pool. At the very least they can give you some exercises on their equipment or a routine for your living room.

Moving more is going to be key for you, honestly.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Is anyone able to help me figure what to buy to last 28 days for about $200.
    Buy foods that you like. Meats/fish/seafood, rice, potatoes, veggies, fruit, beans, canned tuna, Perhaps a package of mini chocolate bars... some Halo Top or some type of ice cream. I don't know.. buy things you like to eat a long side some ziplock baggies for portioning.
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Edit to add:

Your post needed more smileys. LOL and a couple of LOLOLOLs. I read your reply and I didn't get the same negativity. You go BlackCherry!!

Ohh.. I am usually too lazy to add smilies...so, uh.
    :);):):)<3:D:laugh: :lol:

How about a few XD ?
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    I wanted to touch on this "I live next door to a YWCA, I can't afford to go there."

In my area, the Y has sliding scale and even 100% free membership for some people. If I were you, Kay, I would go over there and see what (if anything) they can do for you to help you get a couple days of exercise. It will help your hunger levels a lot and will help you in many other ways as well. I would be a mental basket case if I didn't get any exercise.

Talk to someone in the membership office and tell them you want to come over at least 2/3 days a week for an hour. I'm sure they will find a way. Then as soon as you can, start to give them a few dollars.

Also, are you on Medicaid (you don't have to answer that) - or any insurance at all? Call them and tell them about your surgery. You should qualify for physical therapy - most physical therapy practices have access to a pool. At the very least they can give you some exercises on their equipment or a routine for your living room.

No. I'm not. I'm on disability. I've only had ear surgery. I'm part deaf and got a Bone Anchored Hearing Aid implant.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I wanted to touch on this "I live next door to a YWCA, I can't afford to go there."

No. I'm not. I'm on disability. I've only had ear surgery. I'm part deaf and got a Bone Anchored Hearing Aid implant.

Check out the Y. I get a subsidized membership when I am a member (I am currently taking a few months that off).
  • Kaysteroni
    Options
    I will try going over today and talk to someone
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    Stuff I shouldn't be buying. I normally just buy what I can within my budget. Whatever I see with a sale sticker.

So start there, buy what you normally buy but keep it in your calorie budget for the day. You will soon learn what keeps you satisfied and whats worth only eating once in a while.

It would be to hard for us to tell you what to buy for several reasons but mainly because we don't know what you like. I'm a pescatarian so me telling you what I would buy doesn't really work, plus I live on an island where 200 is my weekly budget because prices are so high:(.

But maybe if it helps you (I can't help you with prices) I buy as staples in my diet,

Flat out Pizza Crusts - 120 calories whole crust and it contains 5 crusts I believe
    Cheese
    Cottage Cheese - I sprinkle powdered strawberry jello to taste
    Chicken Boca burgers - veggie chicken contains 4
    Tuna
    Bagel thins
    Sandwich thins
    Eggs
    Frozen/Fresh veggies - cauliflower, brussel sprouts, potatos, lettuce
    Laughing cow cheese spreads - 35 cal per serving
    boca burgers - veggie burger contains 4

Or perhaps telling us what you normally buy we can help you through the list letting you know whats important.

As a side note I eat a carb, protein and fat with every meal. That seems to keep me satisfied until my next meal on lower calories per day.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    At my Y it is called the opportunity fund. They don't give free membership here in NS but I get 50% off
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

Oh, well I guess PT for that is out - but if you have ankle problems, that should qualify you for PT and/or subsidized health club/YWCA membership. Why don't you contact the Y by email and tell them your story if it's difficult for you to communicate by phone.