How much cardio do you do?

Options
Just out of curiosity,

How much cardio do you guys do? I aim to do AT least 30 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week. Most days however, I get about 40 minutes of low impact cardio like the eliptical or I mix it up with some jogging. I feel that doing lots of cardio works for me and I really enjoy it. I do strength training afterwards as well.

Interested to see what everyone else's cardio goals are!

Replies

• jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    20 mins give or take, minimum 3 times a week. I also play softball and do other things, cardio isn't high on my list of priorities, more into throwing the iron around. :happy:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    None intentionally. I used to do ONLY cardio and it got me nowhere with my weight loss goals. I lift now and it's all I do.
  • umieto
    umieto Posts: 46
    Options
    I'll be honest. None. I do walk everywhere because I am a poor student, but running, walking just for walking, or whatever I don't do.

Lift like a beast though :D
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily a runner so.......I run 4 times per week (various distances & times), row 2 or 3 times per week (usually 10K at a time - 50 min, indoor rower), ride 2 or 3 times a week (38km round trip commute + pleasure riding) and do weights 2 or 3 times per week.......so, lots of cardio.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I usually don't do any cardio, it's not necessary to weight loss, but every now and then I'll do some HIIT like car pushes or sprints
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I probably average 1-2 cardio days per month, 20-25 minutes/session.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Cardio-Run 30-90 minutes 5-6x a week
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I run 25 to 30 miles a week; more if I'm training.
  • dance54
    dance54 Posts: 13
    Options
    I AM CARDIO FREAK RUN / WALK 4- 5 MILES ADAY ATLEAST 4 DAYS A WEEK DO SME LIGHT WEIGHT LIFTING
  • Hollie704
    Hollie704 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like to run, and since I'm training for a 10K and working my way up to a half marathon, I do cardio six days a week and depending on the type of run or cross training I'm doing, it's anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour (for long runs). I also strength train 2 - 3 times a week. And, also do a lot of walking since my son loves to get outside and go on walks. So lots of cardio for me, but mainly because I enjoy doing it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Usually once or twice a week is all.
  • dichrodiva
    dichrodiva Posts: 13
    Options
    I do cardio about 4-5 times a week and for me it has been a staple of my weight loss. I do a step class at least 3 times a week because I really like it. and Zumba coz it's fun. We do tons of ab work in the step class and weights so it's not all cardio. Just do what you enjoy doing and keep moving. I've lost 55 lbs over the last year and a half. Hope to keep that off and my goal is 15 more but we will see. Just doesn't pay to be in a hurry with the losing.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I try to get at least 20 minutes a day. Saturdays and Sundays can be 2+ hours depending on what I'm doing. Before anyone tells me it is too much let me say I am doing it for my heart and not for weight loss. I quit smoking a few months ago and I figure my heart could use the exercise so I do things I enjoy like cycling and my new found acceptance of jogging/walking.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Very little - 20 minutes two times a week in the form of sprinting/running intervals. And only to keep my heart in check and my endurance up.

I get a lot more out of lifting then I ever did with low impact cardio.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Usually about 30 minutes of jogging in the morning Monday through Friday, plus a one hour serious run training session in the evening on Tuesday and Thursday. Other mwasures of health / fitness like body composition and strength mean nothing to Uncle Sam if I don't run as fast as he wants me to.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Currently training for marathon #2, so I do lots and lots of cardio.

I actually want to incorporate more lifting into my life, but I'm finding it challenging to incorporate lifting workouts that actually matter that don't make my legs too fatigued to run!
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    As little as I can get away with!
    Which basically means a light warmup and cooldown on the elliptical or something similar.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Huh, not as much as I thought. About 4h a week total, maybe 5 if I squeeze in a run that isn't on my training plan. Gotta work on that. I also try and do lifting 2-3 times a week, but I've been a bit lazy on that front lately.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm training for two triathlons right now (one sprint, one intermediate), so I'm running 3 days a week (35-40 minutes) - usually M, W, F or Sat. Wednesday is normally a full tri practice (swim, bike, run) that takes me between 90-120 minutes, depending on if I do one or two loops on the bike. Sat or Sun, I do a long bike (usually the full 30k course of my sprint tri, since it is right near my house - about 75 mins, but once a month, I drive 4 hours round trip and do the actual 22 mile course for my intermediate tri - about 90 mins). usually, I do the sprint course on Saturday, and then make it a brick and do the actual 5k run also (for a total of just under 2 hours). I weight lift Tues/Thurs for 30 minutes at the gym. If I have time (and the weather cooperates), I'll either do a quick 10-15 minute run right after lifting, or I'll do a short 6-8 mile ride when I get home from the gym. I usually do a nice long stretch once a week on my rest day.

My training schedule looks different in the fall/winter, when I'm not training as heavily for races - less cardio, more lifting.
  • alwaysgreen17
    alwaysgreen17 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    On average, 4 hrs/week. I mix it up between jogging, elliptical, zumba, Turbo Kick, tennis, etc....