Why is everyone on this site so mean?

Options

Replies

• dominiqueruns
    dominiqueruns Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    John Gabriel's Greater Internet ****wad Theory.

why_does_people_troll_ri17dmf46.jpg

So true!! I've never seen that depiction before...lol (:bigsmile: well, it's actually not funny, it's quite sad, but you know what i mean...)
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    One friend is getting PM'ed about being fat for his tater tots while my other friend is being told he is too unhealthy in his own thread

I thought we were here to support each other

Look. I am not trying to be mean. It just comes naturally.

Same here. I call it an "adorable quirk" though. It makes it sound so much more... cute.
  • Forest777
    Forest777 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One friend is getting PM'ed about being fat for his tater tots while my other friend is being told he is too unhealthy in his own thread

This sounds harsh, but if you get criticized, it's kind of your fault. It is the internet.

If you leave your diary open for all of MFP to see, then be prepared for criticism. Same for your blog. If you post your woes on the forum, get ready to hear some things that might hurt. If you can't take it, then close your diary, blog and don't post personal troubles on the forum.

Same for friends. If you don't want your friends to critique your diary or blog, then don't leave it open for them. More importantly, cultivate a group of friends that work for you, what you need from the site. And delete friends that don't work for you (and also don't take it personally if you get deleted).
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

This sounds harsh, but if you get criticized, it's kind of your fault. It is the internet.

If you leave your diary open for all of MFP to see, then be prepared for criticism. Same for your blog. If you post your woes on the forum, get ready to hear some things that might hurt. If you can't take it, then close your diary, blog and don't post personal troubles on the forum.

Same for friends. If you don't want your friends to critique your diary or blog, then don't leave it open for them. More importantly, cultivate a group of friends that work for you, what you need from the site. And delete friends that don't work for you (and also don't take it personally if you get deleted).

What's with this blame the victim mentality
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    say whaaaat? There are no mean people here. Mostly because no one here really exists. You all just live in my computer to entertain me. :bigsmile:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    It's not everyone. The rude ones just post a lot. It's not just this site either; it's all internet sites. People are more likely to get rude when they are anonymous and there is no social consequence for being mean, or worse they get reinforcement for being "funny." It's just like school yard bullies who gang up on a kid and then get attention and praise from the other bullies.

The answer? Probably to either ignore or call out the bullies without making personal attacks, which just escalates the conflict. Or maybe just trying to provide substantive and not sarcastic responses to serious questions, which people will be more likely to remember anyway.

Way to ruin a happy thread with a serious post.
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    I needs yur fishy for proteins..
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I got a Bingo!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    say whaaaat? There are no mean people here. Mostly because no one here really exists. You all just live in my computer to entertain me. :bigsmile:

That's what I have been saying. I just told Rhonda that this morning. You all are interesting lines of code in a complex algorithm designed to entertain me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    People are just primates that vocalize a lot.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I got a Bingo!

This is funny d/t the fact that Daniel Lion has his hand raised as if he had a bingo.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Mean is in the eye of the beholder.

Don't like an MFPer? Click the drop-down arrow beside the username and choose ignore user. Problem solved.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I got a Bingo!

Dammit, I didn't even know we were playing. :angry:
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Giving up on those unhealthy foods/vices brings out the monsters of many. :|

It's hard not to be a menace to society when half the population is happy on their knees.

:love: This is why I love you.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Seriously??? Tell your buddies to suck it up and quit whining. If they hear something that's uncomfortable to hear, it's most likely something they NEED to hear. This site isn't supposed to be all "rah-rah, you're awesome" when someone eats like crap and doesn't exercise. Well, maybe some people are like that but they are part of the problem. If your friends want to make progress, tell them to listen to people that get on them for eating tater tots and being unhealthy. Those people are the solution; the enablers are the problem.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    They didn't get enough hugs
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Giving up on those unhealthy foods/vices brings out the monsters of many. :|

It's hard not to be a menace to society when half the population is happy on their knees.

:love: This is why I love you.

D'awww... Pretty girls like me! :blushing:
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't have a witty graphic or anything, but the populist phrase is "anonymity breeds contempt"...

People who don't actually (physically) know you find it easier to be obnoxious over the web. Some people don't even realize they're doing it, and others read what they want into the text.

Reading and comprehending Internet text is an artform mastered by few... Writing without snark, even fewer.

That's it. That's all I've got... I'm officially out of "grasshopper'isms"..

Have a great day.

Wayne
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I'd name a few people here who are mean. But then that would make me mean, and I'm not mean!! I'm a good guy and people are mean to me because of that!! It's much more easier to be mean than to be good and supportive!! That's just a fact of life!!
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Mean is in the eye of the beholder.

Don't like an MFPer? Click the drop-down arrow beside the username and choose ignore user. Problem solved.

That's a "mean" looking snake!!