Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Not much. It doesn't keep me going!

I always laugh when I see advice which says oatmeal/porridge is a good breakfast as it will keep you going til lunch. Nope! I burn through a bowl of that stuff in about two hours. I think it's because I'm Scottish and have a specially-adapted, oat-powered digestion. Boiled oats are no challenge to it. I need to eat dry oats for them to keep me going (muesli, granola, oatcakes).

When I do make it, it's a weekend late-breakfast treat. I use what we call "porridge oats", I believe in the States they're called "quick cook oats". I cook them with water and salt and then I go off the rails adding cinnamon, raisins, chocolate, cream, brown sugar, you name it. Mr. Garage disapproves of all this. In his mind, porridge is cooked with WATER AND SALT and then you eat it like that, in its pure state, like the good Lord intended.

*Shocked face* You're a Scot making SWEET porridge?! *Faints*

I jest, I too am Scottish and make it sweet with milk. But I am obviously not porridge adapted the way I'm alcohol adapted because I LOVE my porridge and it does keep me going pretty well.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

I always laugh when I see advice which says oatmeal/porridge is a good breakfast as it will keep you going til lunch. Nope! I burn through a bowl of that stuff in about two hours. I think it's because I'm Scottish and have a specially-adapted, oat-powered digestion. Boiled oats are no challenge to it. I need to eat dry oats for them to keep me going (muesli, granola, oatcakes).

When I do make it, it's a weekend late-breakfast treat. I use what we call "porridge oats", I believe in the States they're called "quick cook oats". I cook them with water and salt and then I go off the rails adding cinnamon, raisins, chocolate, cream, brown sugar, you name it. Mr. Garage disapproves of all this. In his mind, porridge is cooked with WATER AND SALT and then you eat it like that, in its pure state, like the good Lord intended.

I jest, I too am Scottish and make it sweet with milk. But I am obviously not porridge adapted the way I'm alcohol adapted because I LOVE my porridge and it does keep me going pretty well.

I don't MAKE sweet porridge. I make salted porridge, as is right and proper. Then I load it with sweet stuff afterwards.

I can't get my head around people cooking oats without salt. You wouldn't cook pasta or rice without salt, would you? You wouldn't make bread without salt. Porridge without salt tastes like sad, lumpy water.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    oatmeal never keeps me full usually instant oats w/ almond milk and a banana (or another fruit) but give it 2-3 hrs and my stomach is growling like i havent eaten in days! lovvvvvvvve oatmeal but doesn't work for me, i like nuts but i have very senstive/brittle teeth so i usually do not eat nuts,
  • luv2shimmy
    luv2shimmy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I probably eat it a couple of times per week - old fashioned or steel cut oats (depends on how much time I have) mixed with about 10 g protein powder with a little cinnamon sprinkled on top, and 100 g of fruit on the side.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    Old fashioned, cooked with chicken broth in the microwave, and topped with a fried egg.

chicken broth???? fried egg????
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    Old fashioned, cooked with chicken broth in the microwave, and topped with a fried egg.

That's interesting. Like congee?
  • VintageFeline
    Options

I don't MAKE sweet porridge. I make salted porridge, as is right and proper. Then I load it with sweet stuff afterwards.

I can't get my head around people cooking oats without salt. You wouldn't cook pasta or rice without salt, would you? You wouldn't make bread without salt. Porridge without salt tastes like sad, lumpy water.

But I don't cook my pasta in water and I don't add banana to it after :smiley:
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Now I want oatmeal cookies.

I just finished eating 7 Macadamia Nut cookies..2 more to go

I am jealous. .. and I like oatmeal too ..

Good luck
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    I have to use Bob's Red Mill GF oats. I cook them on the stove and never add milk. I've been putting chocolate protein powder, whole chia seeds, ground flaxseed meal, powdered stevia for sweetening, and almond butter in mine.
  • beemac52014
    beemac52014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of steel cut oatmeal in the crock pot and freeze in single servings. I eat them most weekdays with flax seed and 1 Tbsp. peanut butter and a little almond milk. Sometimes I make it with almonds and dried cherries instead. Convenient and delicious!
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I make simple oatmeal muffin with old fash oats and eat one with my coffee for a mid morning snack every day at work. Love it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I only have oatmeal for dessert. I use a high fibre quick oats brand, i use a mix of cows milk and vanilla almond milk, and add peanut butter protein powder and flaxseed meal.
  • heathervallon
    heathervallon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Kind of on topic off topic - when you're logging "quaker oats" and it gives you a caloric value - is that cooked or dry?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Kind of on topic off topic - when you're logging "quaker oats" and it gives you a caloric value - is that cooked or dry?

It should be dry. Compare the database entry here to the label on your oats.
  • jammismartin
    jammismartin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    31 days ago I started Steel cut oatmeal w/flax in it. (Doctors advice) I get the prepackaged kind - already flavored - Cinnabon, maple & Brown sugar & or pumpkin spice. You just mix it with water and heat in microwave. I then eat blueberries on the side. My breakfast intake is less than 260 calories & I am full till lunch! My cholesterol has gone way down since doing this & I have lost weight!!!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options

What do you cook your pasta in if not water? Genuinely curious.

I take the point about the banana, but I add salt when making cakes, and you have to concede my point about the bread.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I sometimes cook mine in chicken broth - a couple of cups of it to a couple of ounces of the pasta. Let the pasta thicken the soup while cooking, and now I have a sauce.

• VintageFeline
    Options

I take the point about the banana, but I add salt when making cakes, and you have to concede my point about the bread.

Damn it, I meant milk! I don't cook my pasta in milk.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    For me rgular long cooking large oats. I'll eat oatmeal for any of my three meals, cooked with apples. I use FF cream on it. Real comfort food in winter. :)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,431 Member
    Options
    I like a hot bowl of oatmeal in the cold evenings sometime. I use 1/2 cup (dry) old fashioned. I put 1/2 cup frozen fruit to cook with it. When done, I add one TBS of my favorite jam & one individual tub of coffee creamer