Effect of 1 cheat day every couple weeks?

Options
Dumb question,

What has been your experience with a cheat day every couple weeks? I'm a big guy(harder to kidnap!!) and have been back at it again for over 2 weeks.

I've lost 16 pounds in that 2 weeks from 295 6'3. Since I'm deployed overseas I've been hitting it hard 1-2 hours a day of cardio burning 700-1400+(HR monitor not BS machine numbers). Im trying to eat at a significant deficit to "save" some calories for a cheat day.

Just not sure how much that 1 day of enjoying the good food we hardly see out here is going to be worth it.

If I went full bore whole eggs for breakfast, bacon, toast and butter then the turkey dinner with stuffing, potatoes and the likes topped with a slice of pie would I gain a boat load?

What's been your results? I plan on keeping cardio up as work allows to help offset but I also want to lose some pounds this week too. I want it all haha.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The word cheat is a problem for me. I over indulge every weekend (but still within maintenance calories), but I account for that by eating at slight deficit all week.. I don't consider it a cheat though, its a very negative term imo.

The problem with 'cheat days' is that you can undo 1 or 2 weeks calorie deficit if you really go over in calories.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If I do a cheat day I try to just eat up to maintenance level and no more. OR I do 1 cheat meal that I don't count calories for- not an entire cheat day. I sometimes do this up to once a week with little consequence.

You could pack a lot of calories into an entire cheat day of not counting though, so be careful. But if it's really only once every 2 weeks it's still probably not going to affect your results all that badly.

Try it and see- track your weight every day and see if you gain after your cheat day/meal and if so how many days it takes to come off.

Think of it like this- flip it around- what if you ate terribly every day and only ate healthy and within calories once every 2 weeks, how much of a positive effect would that single day of eating well have compared to all the days of eating crappy? Not that much, right? So it's likely the same for 1 bad day every 2 weeks of being good.

Another thing I do personally is fit in cheat foods in appropriate portions almost every day. I don't like eating huge amounts of food, but I do miss having certain foods like chocolate or macaroni and cheese... so if I'm craving that I don't wait for a cheat day and have a huge serving of those foods, instead I just have a little bit on a regular day and fit it into my goal calories. But do whatever works best for you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to the numbers. If you wipe out your overall calorie deficit, then you won't lose weight. If you dont, then you'll still lose weight.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I didn't use cheat days, cheat meals or cheat foods. I worked out a flexible eating plan with the things i enjoyed eating and kept to my calorie limits. Now I do the same in maintenance, but its easier now having more calories. I can have more palatability as I add some other foods that I enjoy.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Also, using your next morning weigh-in to evaluate your day of indulgence is unhelpful. When you overeat you pack in a lot of sodium which will cause a spike upward in your next morning weigh-in.

I'm planning my conventional Thanksgiving day to stay within my calorie target for weight loss. It can be done.
  • bexilashious
    bexilashious Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I 'enjoy' every weekend
    I save calories during the week (100-200 per day) so I can have naughtiness at the weekend.
    I weigh twice a week. Official weigh day is a Friday, but I weigh to see the damage on a Monday. The damage is always around 4-8 lbs.
    but it's mostly water weight (lots of sodium in those cheat foods lol). It always comes off by the following Friday plus some more.
    Drink plenty of water, keep up with the fitness and stick to your calorie deficit
    X
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Lots of good and interesting comments. I appreciate all of your input. I am leaning towards leaving out breakfast now as a "indulgence" meal as some call it :)

Ill try to keep it under control for the main course, and log my choices accordingly. Maybe even get a hour of cardio in to help offset calories.

Once again, thanks for the advice and have a great week!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you're saving calories for a "cheat day", you aren't cheating. You're just creating a larger deficit some days so you can eat larger portions of higher calorie foods another day. Many of us do that so we can eat more over weekends, on holidays, etc. Sometimes referred to as banking calories or calorie cycling. You can look at calories in terms of weekly intake rather than daily intake if it's easier to get a handle on.

It's totally fine to do as long as you're meeting basic nutritional needs each day, and it won't hinder your weight loss. You may see the scale go up for a few days after due to the large physical amount of food that's in your body before excretion and water retention, but that will go away.

I also still track on days when I eat more.
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    On weekends I generally only eat 2 meals a day, mostly because by the time I wake up at ~10am, it makes no sense to do breakfast, so I'll make lunch around 11am and then eat dinner at around 6pm. This lets me have a cheat meal without cheating.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have had a couple bigger meals that have caused me to exceed my calories for the day, but I don't do that very often (twice in the past month ) and it hasn't had a big effect on my weight loss. I did want to say that if you are craving bacon and eggs for breakfast, there is no reason to avoid them. I have a serving of bacon and 2 whole eggs for breakfast every morning, and I am only 140 pounds and 44 years old, I am sure with your stats and exercise you can fit that in on any day you like!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    A matter of maths only. If you make 200cal deficit weekdays and eat 500cal over maintenance on weekends then
    5*200 - 2*500 = 0.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    My experience is that a day of over eating does not affect me long term. I regularly eat twice my allotted calories. Usually twice a week. My regular calories are 1600 and I eat about 3000 on those two days. I'm now at a maintenance weight - so not sure how or why that would affect my results, but even if the scale shows me up a pound, it drops back off after a couple days of regular eating.

I say do it. Holidays are part of the joy of life and food is a big deal when you're deployed. Enjoy it and get back at it. I think you'll be fine.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't consider it "cheating" I think of it as budgeting. I save up some calories for a splurge. Just like with money though, I try not to go into debt by spending too much.

There's a big difference between buying a pair of theater tickets and hitting Las Vegas for a weekend :)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The word cheat is a problem for me. I over indulge every weekend (but still within maintenance calories), but I account for that by eating at slight deficit all week.. I don't consider it a cheat though, its a very negative term imo.

The problem with 'cheat days' is that you can undo 1 or 2 weeks calorie deficit if you really go over in calories.

That part.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I've lost 16 pounds in that 2 weeks from 295 6'3. Since I'm deployed overseas I've been hitting it hard 1-2 hours a day of cardio burning 700-1400+(HR monitor not BS machine numbers). Im trying to eat at a significant deficit to "save" some calories for a cheat day.

If you've lost 16 lbs in 2 weeks, you're in too much of a deficit already, including the cheat days. I'm with you on the 'saving' of calories for a larger meal, but 16 lbs in two weeks is still WAY too much. The most you should be losing on average is 2 lbs a week, maybe a hair more if there's water weight being shed at first, but 16 lbs means something is either inaccurate somewhere or you're starving yourself.

Adjust your calories to lose no more than 2 lbs a week and maybe you won't need the 'cheat' days. Practice flexible dieting and there's really no need for them. it sounds like you exercise so you should be able to get enough in a single day at a normal deficit eating the things you like in moderation. For holiday meals, I generally will increase my deficit for a couple of days prior, and then a few days after to adjust for the influx of calories, so I completely understand that part of what you wrote. But seriously, look up IIFYM (If it fits your macros) and consider flexible dieting which means eat what you like/want, just stay within your calorie goals.

• MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i worked on not needing any "cheat days" i changed my diet, i think by volume i now eat a lot more than i did, so my belly feels full when i want it to feel that way. but i now eat healthier and lower fat/cal
    my biggest issue over summer has actually been getting enough calories in after a hard days excersise.
    i was eating massive meals, and still being in defecit
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    shredcamps wrote: »
    i worked on not needing any "cheat days" i changed my diet, i think by volume i now eat a lot more than i did, so my belly feels full when i want it to feel that way. but i now eat healthier and lower fat/cal
    my biggest issue over summer has actually been getting enough calories in after a hard days excersise.
    i was eating massive meals, and still being in defecit

I now run into that issue at times as well. Right now I'm toying with reducing the exercise or moving back up to some higher fat items in my diet. Or a combination of both.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    My advice would be to eat enough to sustain it ALL THE TIME. So eat a deficit, but one that is more sustainable for you. Trying to save calories for a cheat day is something i wouldn't recommend as it supports a deprivation/binge mind-set.

I agree that saving calories to binge is not a good idea. I, however, do well with looking at calories as a weekly thing rather than a daily thing in the case of holidays or special occasions. So in some ways I save calories (if I know of excess calories in my future) or burn extra calories afterward (if the extra calories were unexpected). For me it's part of learning to maintain. I figure there are always going to be instances where eating more high calorie (not necessarily eating on purpose to over-fill yourself) foods or say drinking a few high calorie drinks or beers may happen. Learning to deal with that by an extra calorie burn before or after makes sense to me. But the word 'cheat' day is a planned day to over-eat or binge.. and I'd have to agree that's a bad habit that should be broken. I never used cheat days, and never intend to, but I know I won't always be within my daily goal.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I think it's really about what effect it has on you, personally. For me, I have so little leeway on calories to begin with and lose so slowly that every two weeks would have me losing maybe a pound a month (I can guess this from having gone off the wagon in the past, then trying to excuse it as "it is only every x amount of days/weeks"). That would still be a loss but really it would be dishearteningly slow; that would mean it would take me two and a half more years to get to goal (30 more pounds). Just no, not if I can help it.

Also, for me, hogging out makes me feel terrible for days after. Even if it isn't a giant amount of food, I can no longer have the " big" meals I used to, for some reason. Actually, I just never realized it wasn't normal to feel soggy and bloated and exhausted and stomach achy and headachey all the time. Usually, I put it down to my hypothyroidism. Now I know better. I just couldn't go back to feeling that way for days after, every two weeks. That would be what, a third of my life? No.

If you feel physically fine and can meet your goals and this works better for you than simply bumping your daily intake a bit, then sure. Know yourself; go from there.