Can not lose weight

Options

Replies

• AntoinetteAngus
    AntoinetteAngus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with the same problems for years. Ever since I signed up on MFP everyone has always said it boils down to calories in vs calories out. After doing this for years I never lost weight. But if you think about human beings from the beginning of time who were almost never overweight...it dawned on me that not a single one of them counted calories because everything they ate was pure! Now I'm not so sure counting calories is a natural process, or the pivotal answer...I finally tried something new and I dropped 4 pounds in a week. QUALITY matters and even though people here will try to convince you otherwise. I have resorted to eating nature's best foods and eliminating foods that A) may effect my digestion or B) may effect my hormones. This means eating mostly fruits and vegetables and fish as my only source of animal protein (for a period of 30 days at the very least if not forever). This means no chicken, or eggs or red meat or bread or rice, or pasta. I think I am most open to reintroduce these things after 30 days if I can guarantee I can find a hormone free or gluten free option. I truly think that unless you detox the junk that has been sitting in your system for years you will stay in a vicious cycle of not losing weight. This is what has been working for me:

BREAKFAST
    Hot water with lemon
    Smoothie Bowl (banana, kale, almond milk, berries, peanut butter, chia seeds, flax seed)

LUNCH
    Soup (water based) OR
    Salad (no animal protein) OR
    Large Smoothie (almond milk, banana, apple, peanut butter, cinnamon, nutmeg)

DINNER
    Salmon
    Sweet Potato OR Roasted Vegetables

SNACKS
    Fruit
    Popcorn
    Nuts
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with the same problems for years. Ever since I signed up on MFP everyone has always said it boils down to calories in vs calories out. After doing this for years I never lost weight. But if you think about human beings from the beginning of time who were almost never overweight...it dawned on me that not a single one of them counted calories because everything they ate was pure! Now I'm not so sure counting calories is a natural process, or the pivotal answer...I finally tried something new and I dropped 4 pounds in a week. QUALITY matters and even though people here will try to convince you otherwise. I have resorted to eating nature's best foods and eliminating foods that A) may effect my digestion or B) may effect my hormones. This means eating mostly fruits and vegetables and fish as my only source of animal protein (for a period of 30 days at the very least if not forever). This means no chicken, or eggs or red meat or bread or rice, or pasta. I think I am most open to reintroduce these things after 30 days if I can guarantee I can find a hormone free or gluten free option. I truly think that unless you detox the junk that has been sitting in your system for years you will stay in a vicious cycle of not losing weight. This is what has been working for me:

BREAKFAST
    Hot water with lemon
    Smoothie Bowl (banana, kale, almond milk, berries, peanut butter, chia seeds, flax seed)

LUNCH
    Soup (water based) OR

DINNER
    Salmon

SNACKS
    Fruit
    Popcorn
    Nuts

But the twinkie diet!
  • AntoinetteAngus
    Options
    I totally agree that desk jobs have a lot to do with it as well. But I think that due to modern day society we simply don't have the option to walk to work or the nearest store or to a mall due to distance and time constraints... but we can 100% take control of what goes into our mouths.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

BREAKFAST
    Hot water with lemon

LUNCH
    Soup (water based) OR

DINNER
    Salmon

SNACKS
    Fruit
    Popcorn
    Nuts

Yeah, no.

It is all about calories in calories out. However, if you're not accurate with CI or CO, the energy balance gets disturbed. This is why it is recommended to use a food scale to weigh all solid and semi solid foods, and cups for liquids.

Your 4lb drop was water weight. Also, you're pretty much doing a liquid diet. This isn't necessary for weight loss. Weight loss is all eating less calories than you need to maintain your current weight. It is basic physiology which no one is exempt from. Your diet is very low in protein and fat....and you think this is 'healthy'? Looks like you're taking in very few calories, too. No one should lose more than 2lb per week if they want to be healthy. Of course there is the initial water weight loss in the beginning.

Deprivation isn't a great way to lose weight. You say you're doing this for 30 days. What happens after that if you're not counting calories? Surely, when you're reintroducing food back in, you'll add calories, too.

And detoxing is absolute woo. What, pray tell, are you actually detoxing from that your liver, lungs, kidneys, digestive system and skin cannot already do? And, no...there is not a build up of crap in the system.

Also? I've lost close to 100lbs eating nutritious foods as well as ice cream, chocolate, cookies, chips, take out...wine. You name it. My weight loss is absolute PROOF that weight loss is ALL about CICO.

This!
  • AntoinetteAngus
    Options
    So the idea that you can eat toxic crap makes you feel better? (cookies, ice cream etc). More power to you. That's absolutely your choice. For those who want to live a healthy lifestyle and lose weight I suggest you challenge what people have claimed works (clearly many people arent seing any results by the posts we see daily) Try to cleanse and reset your body and you will see results. Do you realize there is pounds of undigested waste that sits in your system? We eat so much meat at a rate our body can't keep up. We ingest so much toxins and that never gets eliminated and that prevent our body from functioning properly. This is why water and waste elimination is important and this is the first thing you will notice will change when you're on the right track.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I love the "throw CICO at everything" mentality.

OP question: are you on any medication that may slow your weight loss?
    Have you had your blood panel recently?
    How's your stress level?
    Do you sleep 7-9 hours a night?

These things will interfere with CICO.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    So the idea that you can eat toxic crap makes you feel better? (cookies, ice cream etc). More power to you. That's absolutely your choice. For those who want to live a healthy lifestyle and lose weight I suggest you challenge what people have claimed works (clearly many people arent seing any results by the posts we see daily) Try to cleanse and reset your body and you will see results. Do you realize there is pounds of undigested waste that sits in your system? We eat so much meat at a rate our body can't keep up. We ingest so much toxins and that never gets eliminated and that prevent our body from functioning properly. This is why water and waste elimination is important and this is the first thing you will notice will change when you're on the right track.

Name one specific toxin that a "cleanse"/"detox" eliminates from your body - and the mechanism by which it does it. We'll wait.

Took the words right outta my mouth.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ykhan2016 wrote: »
    If you want to really test it, get frozen prepared (lean cuisine, weight watchers, Annie's, etc) meals for a week that have accurate calorie counts and see what happens?

even frozen meals arent accurate. food packaging can be off by up to 20%,they could be more or less.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

No, no, and no. I've lost 118 lbs without being miserable by balancing what you would consider 'healthy' with what you erroneously consider 'toxic'. I'm happy and healthy and will continue to be so despite your disapproval of my diet. And if I was really eating toxic crap, I'd be dead. Guess what, I'm not. You may want to read some scientific articles and put down the O magazine.

118 lbs is my ultimate goal - thanks for the inspiration - 30 to go! I hope the OP is seeing the truth in your post and not getting sidetracked.