Protein shakes

Options
Is it safe to have a protein shake for breakfast and lunch ? Then for dinner have a meal with my family. Then if I get hungry between shakes have half an apple, cracker, string cheese.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you are getting enough calories it is "safe"
  • shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Sure, just make sure not to exceed the safe level of protein for your weight. It's hard on your kidneys.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Sure, just make sure not to exceed the safe level of protein for your weight. It's hard on your kidneys.

Lol not true
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »
    Is it safe to have a protein shake for breakfast and lunch ? Then for dinner have a meal with my family. Then if I get hungry between shakes have half an apple, cracker, string cheese.

Make sure calories are in check.
    If you're just having a shake for breakfast and lunch, then destroying a high calorie, nutrient dense dinner...maybe...
    Honestly it doesn't sound like you're eating enough if that's all you have during the day.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you want to do shakes you should do a meal replacement shake rather than a protein shake. I couldn't imagine trying to get through the day on just a few hundred calories worth of protein shakes and then having a giant enough dinner to get to my minimum calories.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i do it sometimes when reasons happen. i think it would make me pretty sad as a long-term thing though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Safe, yes, but boring, more than likely. Boredom is usually a bigger threat to dieting than safety.

So I just HAVE TO suggest that you base your intake on real food and compose full, balanced meals, then you'll most likely not even get hungry between meals. And eat the whole apple when you eat apples (the other part gets brown, what do you do with it?), and get in a variety of foods, and don't eat a lot of crackers if your goal is to lose weight - just because you need a varied and nutritious diet to keep satisfied, and if you're not satisfied, it's so easy to overeat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Protein is not safe as it is created by the devil. Avoid at all costs.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Safe, yes, but boring, more than likely. Boredom is usually a bigger threat to dieting than safety.

So I just HAVE TO suggest that you base your intake on real food and compose full, balanced meals, then you'll most likely not even get hungry between meals. And eat the whole apple when you eat apples (the other part gets brown, what do you do with it?), and get in a variety of foods, and don't eat a lot of crackers if your goal is to lose weight - just because you need a varied and nutritious diet to keep satisfied, and if you're not satisfied, it's so easy to overeat.

It doesn't have to be boring. I've learned to do all kinds of mixing and matching, and cooking and various things with protein powders. Then again, I also have like 25 lbs. of casein and 60 lbs. of whey, spread across about nineteen different flavors from MyPro. I actually once went a week consuming nothing but protein shakes and multivitamins, and didn't once have the exact same flavor due to my experimentation.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

It doesn't have to be boring. I've learned to do all kinds of mixing and matching, and cooking and various things with protein powders. Then again, I also have like 25 lbs. of casein and 60 lbs. of whey, spread across about nineteen different flavors from MyPro. I actually once went a week consuming nothing but protein shakes and multivitamins, and didn't once have the exact same flavor due to my experimentation.

No, it doesn't have to be, because what is boring or not boring, is personal. The presumption would be that it IS boring, so change it up - but if it ISN'T boring, of course you don't mess with it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't have to be, because what is boring or not boring, is personal. The presumption would be that it IS boring, so change it up - but if it ISN'T boring, of course you don't mess with it.

Definitely a fair point. I am the kind of person who could eat nearly the same thing every single day, so I suppose I'll always come across as a bit off kilter on such things.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

Definitely a fair point. I am the kind of person who could eat nearly the same thing every single day, so I suppose I'll always come across as a bit off kilter on such things.

And to add to the confusion, the words we use can be the same, but the meaning of the words we use, doesn't have to be the same. I see lots of people advocate a boring diet - and that can work, IF that is sustainable. "Boring" for them can be the exact same thing that I refer to as "structured and predictable". "Nearly the same thing every single day" is how I'll describe my diet as well, but I also "aim for variety", and "variety" can also mean different things to different people - I don't think of chicken with red sauce as "different" from chicken with yellow sauce, but that can be "different" for another person. You may see my eating apples, then pears, then oranges as "eating the same", I see that as "variety".

I just want everybody to be happy :D No, really, weight management is difficult enough, why not try to make it as easy as possible?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Can you do this and see success?
    absolutely.

is it necessary to lose weight?
    no.

is it probably ideal to learning the skills you need to maintain a healthy weight long term?
    Probably not, unless you're super committed.

Of course, go for it. But i personally would rather learn to eat foods i love and enjoy and have constant access to while fitting my calorie goal. That way i don't have to worry about whether or not i have my shakes with me.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

LOL...don't think her two protein shakes a day will throw her into a danger state!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »

absolutely, if you are getting the nutrients you need. i add coconut water and some fresh fruit, all weighed and measured, blend put in freezer, then thaw out a little and enjoy! one of my favorite meals to take if i am on the go or if it is b4 yoga. i don't get the full belly feeling that makes it hard to enjoy yoga.
  • D4LB
    D4LB Posts: 601 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Make your protein shakes with egg whites oatmeal and fruit get some real food in with it! Prefect combination
    My personal shake consist of:
    1 cup of eggwhites
    1/4 cup of oatmeal
    1 cup of orange juice
    1scoop of vanilla protein
    And blueberries or pineapple
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    If you want to do shakes you should do a meal replacement shake rather than a protein shake. I couldn't imagine trying to get through the day on just a few hundred calories worth of protein shakes and then having a giant enough dinner to get to my minimum calories.

numerous things can be added to get the calories and the nutrients without going on carb overload. all in moderation. kefir, coconut water, fruit..berries for lower carbs. i use frozen fruit and tastes like a treat to me. most shakes have about 20 grams of protein, so if you are physically active you will not be over doing it. you can add more protein if needed. fruit and a mixer, i like coconut water make it the perfect meal on the go. if i freeze it for 3-4 hours it will stay frozen till i get to where i am going and have made a healthy choice.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options

LOL...don't think her two protein shakes a day will throw her into a danger state!

why would you be in a danger state of 20 grams of protein less or more as a meal. if i eat a meal i will consume usually more or less the same amount. calories, nutrients and protein.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Can you do this and see success?
    absolutely.

is it necessary to lose weight?
    no.

is it probably ideal to learning the skills you need to maintain a healthy weight long term?
    Probably not, unless you're super committed.

Of course, go for it. But i personally would rather learn to eat foods i love and enjoy and have constant access to while fitting my calorie goal. That way i don't have to worry about whether or not i have my shakes with me.

it is a choice for an individual to make, not the forum.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options

And to add to the confusion, the words we use can be the same, but the meaning of the words we use, doesn't have to be the same. I see lots of people advocate a boring diet - and that can work, IF that is sustainable. "Boring" for them can be the exact same thing that I refer to as "structured and predictable". "Nearly the same thing every single day" is how I'll describe my diet as well, but I also "aim for variety", and "variety" can also mean different things to different people - I don't think of chicken with red sauce as "different" from chicken with yellow sauce, but that can be "different" for another person. You may see my eating apples, then pears, then oranges as "eating the same", I see that as "variety".

I just want everybody to be happy :D No, really, weight management is difficult enough, why not try to make it as easy as possible?

absolutely agree, my meals have become routine as i figure out what works and what does not. to me shakes are not boring. i love routine, but mix it up occasionally!