My husband is losing weight faster than me - I feel like giving up :(

Options
What do you do when your partner is out shining you in a journey the two of you started together ?

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly, never give up. :smile: And be happy for him!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    It isn't a competition.

You do realise that due to the male physical makeup ie typically more muscular, that males have a higher metabolism and generally do lose weight at a higher rate than females?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Be happy for him. The next time you "outshine" him in something, I hope you'll get the same treatment.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Men do lose quicker, they have more muscle mass. Don't give up on his account, you do YOU! it might take you longer but the perseverance will be worth it :smile:
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There are a vast number of variables that could be at play here,. The biggest is that men lose weight faster/more consistently than women.

Remember that weight loss is done for YOU and not for anyone else or as a challenge.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    All of what everyone here said. Enjoy the journey together, celebrate the triumphs together and support each other through the lows together. You can do this.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I find it frustrating too. However, I use him getting into shape as motivation to work harder. I don't wanna be the frumpy gf.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    In September, my hubby started day shift, for the first time in our 23 years together. Since then, he has lost five pounds, as he doesn't go to fast food restaurants anymore.

I have gained back five of the 80 I had lost, because I'm now making huge meals every night, instead of only on the weekends. The struggle is real, folks! :(
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Stop comparing and focus on yourself.
    You are never going to lose at exactly the same rate as someone else especially someone of a different age, weight, height, gender and activity level. The point is to do your best to get to your goal.

My dh lost more and faster than me. I just sigh and go back to concentrating on me. I've made good progress.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    What do you do when your partner is out shining you in a journey the two of you started together ?

What type of medication do you take compared to him?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Men lose faster because they are larger, have different fat storage genetics, and different hormones (that testosterone helps a lot).

Just be happy for him and try not to compare. You will get there, it just takes longer for us ladies. :)
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    DONT DONT DONT GIVE UP!!
    Everyone's journey is different, and often men are able to lose quicker for a variety of reasons. Focus on you and only you. There are so many of us in your shoes but to stop because someone else is losing faster is not the answer. Every. little. drop. is. weight. loss. and. SUCCESS! You got this pal, please don't give up.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! It's hard to see someone else (apparently) putting in the same work and getting more for it, in any context, but that's life and comparing yourself to other people is a recipe for misery. Stay focused on yourself and your goals, keep working at it, and celebrate your progress AND your husband's at whatever pace it comes. Remember, it's not a race, it's a shared journey.

People are apparently pretty poor at estimating how much they are eating. If you aren't seeing the progress you expect, you might try more carefully logging your food, including weighing everything.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you're doing all the right things- caloric deficit, eating enough protein and fiber, exercise - especially weight lifting... besides the size, hormones & genetics advantages men have, they tend to naturally gravitate towards diets and behaviors that cause quicker and better results...

When men try to lose weight they tend to drop the high calorie carbs and fatty snacks and increase their protein, and they go to the gym to hit those weights. This is what you should do too. But for some reason women tend to reduce their protein because they think of it as heavy or fatty, and do a bunch of cardio because they think it burns more calories- technically it does during the actual exercise, but lifting weights and strength exercises have an overall better effect due to after burn and preservation of lean mass and metabolism. So if you want to lose weight eat and workout like a typical guy ;)