Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Waist Trainers

Options
NatW96
NatW96 Posts: 5 Member
Opinions on waist trainers- any success stories??
:smile:

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    For 99% of the population they are pointless.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Ever worn socks that are too tight at the ankle, and when you take them off you're left with that dip? That's what waist trainers do.

Unless of course you use them so often and so tightly that they actually change your shape and start shifting your internal organs. Which... yeah, no. Just don't.

That would only happen with tightlacing and steel boned corsets. And it would take years. And if you stopped tightlacing your body would return to its natural state.

The glorified shapewear everyone now calls waist trainers do diddly.

This.

Although there is one OTHER way your internal organs can be shifted around other than tightlacing and it's a bit more natural.....pregnancy.
    I've never fully experienced this, but I hear it is uncomfortable.... :lol:
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No just no.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ever worn socks that are too tight at the ankle, and when you take them off you're left with that dip? That's what waist trainers do.

Unless of course you use them so often and so tightly that they actually change your shape and start shifting your internal organs. Which... yeah, no. Just don't.

This is the best explanation for waist trainers I've ever seen! <3 this
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Waste of money.

agreed
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Nothing but controlling myself in the kitchen has ever slimmed me down.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Also if you wear it often it will DECREASE your abdominal strength
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    . o O ( Waist trainers? Like squats and crunches? )

*googles*

Oh, corsets. No. Just... no.
  • Mas_Anwar
    Mas_Anwar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    All waist stories :) unfortunately theres no easy way out, gym trim :)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    No.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    . o O ( Waist trainers? Like squats and crunches? )

*googles*

Oh, corsets. No. Just... no.

Good one
  • trigden1991
    Options
    All of this aside; can anyone provide some evidence as to why competitors in contest prep use waist trainers/wraps during cardio?

I have heard of a protocol involving; "fat-burners", yohimbine, waist wraps and fasted cardio.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    All of this aside; can anyone provide some evidence as to why competitors in contest prep use waist trainers/wraps during cardio?

I have heard of a protocol involving; "fat-burners", yohimbine, waist wraps and fasted cardio.

My guess is to make them sweat more.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

Yohimbine and cardio both this resting heart rate. Yohimbine also increases blood flow through the body and in leaner people can help them lose the last bit of fat. The only issue is using Yohimbine haphazardly can actually kill you. Not recommended for someone who doesn't know what to watch out for.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

The wrapping is much like itworks wraps or just plain old cellophane. It's basically spot sweating and causes a temporary reduction of water in the area. I don't really know how it works but see before and afters of wrappings and there is a difference. You just need to not drink for the period you want the effect to last.......
  • trigden1991
    Options

Yohimbine and cardio both this resting heart rate. Yohimbine also increases blood flow through the body and in leaner people can help them lose the last bit of fat. The only issue is using Yohimbine haphazardly can actually kill you. Not recommended for someone who doesn't know what to watch out for.

I am aware of the use/mechanisms behind yohimbine and fasted cardio. Was more asking regarding the waist trainers.

My thoughts would be localised water reduction and potentially increased lipolysis (as this would only be used in extremely lean individuals there may be benefits).