Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Waist Trainers

Options
2»

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    All of this aside; can anyone provide some evidence as to why competitors in contest prep use waist trainers/wraps during cardio?

I have heard of a protocol involving; "fat-burners", yohimbine, waist wraps and fasted cardio.

For the same reason Olympic swimmers do cupping: people will believe anything.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    . o O ( Waist trainers? Like squats and crunches? )

*googles*

Oh, corsets. No. Just... no.

Please don't confuse these "waist trainers" and true corsets. they don't provide the level of compression for tight lacings, as a matter of fact there's no laces or boning at all.

You might lose some water weight in the affected area, in essence any effect will be temporary and a waste of time. Also, it inhibits your core from stabilizing you... in effect... atrophying your core instead of actually training it.
  • lindsayanne1
    lindsayanne1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used one after my c-section to aid recovery.
    Other than that - I agree - waste [pun there!] of time
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    If they create a calorie deficit for you, then yes.

But, they really don't, so no. :/
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If they create a calorie deficit for you, then yes.

But, they really don't, so no. :/

Well, if it mean you have less money to spend on food........
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,720 Member
    Options
    All of this aside; can anyone provide some evidence as to why competitors in contest prep use waist trainers/wraps during cardio?

I have heard of a protocol involving; "fat-burners", yohimbine, waist wraps and fasted cardio.
    In some cases, if one is prepping for a show, that subcutaneous layer of water blurs out some of your definition.
    As a former competitor and knowing what competitors do before a show, I can tell you that that is NOTHING compared to how they dehydrate and use laxatives prior to a show.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Just remember when celebrities wear them, they are getting paid.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    ^^^So true.

I swear I have one friend using a waist trainer because of the Kardashians.
    One friend on Atkins because of Melissa McCarthy.

All the while forgetting all of what AnvilHead said and can't figure out why their not getting the same results.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    All I can do is picture some dude with tacky tight pants, thigh high shiny boots, a pencil-thin mustache and a whip he's cracking at your waist that he wants to jump through some hoops or something.

I feel very old reading about "waist trainers".
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    All I can do is picture some dude with tacky tight pants, thigh high shiny boots, a pencil-thin mustache and a whip he's cracking at your waist that he wants to jump through some hoops or something.

I feel very old reading about "waist trainers".

Only because the derp about them has been around for so long! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There's nothing to debate

They are nonsensical
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I just don't get the point. I haven't seen proof that they work and I just don't think I could bring myself to spend money on something like that.

I also feel like every time I took it off I'd feel horrible about myself since my waist wouldn't actually be as skinny as it looked before lol

They, and corsets, are good for a once off 'streamlined look' which give structure to wobbly tums if you have a special occasion, but they are uncomfortable to wear for more than a few hours at a time, not recommended if you're sitting down for a formal meal.
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use a waist trainer, but I use it as shapewear, like really powerful spanx. It makes a real difference in the way you look in clothes, but it doesn't do diddly to 'train' your waist, as far as I can tell. If you want a slim waist and some abs, start progressive weight training compound movements with a barbell or dumbbells. Muscle is the best corset