2»

Replies

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Carbs from things like wheat, rice, oatmeal and other grains will put the most weight on you. Whole grains are the best way to go. Gaining fat while bulking is the reality of the process. You should lift heavy, anywhere between 5 to 20 reps per set. I'd say about 4 sets per exercise. About four exercises per muscle group, or until you feel you tore it up well enough for the week. The idea is to work a particular muscle group pretty hard once a week, so it gets plenty of time to recover before hitting it again. You can just do chest, back, then legs, working out only three times a week. Or do chest, back, legs, arm & delts, and core, for five days a week workout. The fat laying on top of your muscles will make sure they're getting well fed. Then, after about 3 months or so of that, you can cut back on the carbs to reveal the muscles hiding below the surface. That's what bodybuilders do.

The OP would much better be suited for a beginner full body routine, than following a bro-split; she isn't well versed enough to have the need to spend a lot of time of isometric moves). It would be more optimal to concentrate on the big 4 (OHP, Bench, DL, Squat). Also, manipulation of carbs doesn't matter unless it gets them into a correct energy state (catabolic vs anabolic).

Though the full body routine is usually better for beginners, before attacking the muscles in the way I mentioned, some people just rather jump right into it. They don't want to do a whole bunch of different exercises each training session, when all they're interested in is creating more muscle mass. I didn't recommend any isometric movements. Though I agree with the big four when it comes to building muscle mass and functional strength, I wouldn't mind if the beginner didn't do them. You can see good results without them. People new to those exercises should start light and concentrate on developing good form. That's going to slow them down. Whereas, they could blast the muscles, going hard on machines, with much less risk of getting hurt. Eating about every 3 hours should keep them in an anabolic state.

This is terrible advice. Remember that other thread, where I shared how I've gotten the one hernia I've had in my entire life? It was on a machine, doing preacher curls. Please stop giving out such bad advice.

I guess you're right. Listen to the guy who got a hernia doing preacher curls. How is that even possible?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited November 2016
    Carbs from things like wheat, rice, oatmeal and other grains will put the most weight on you. Whole grains are the best way to go. Gaining fat while bulking is the reality of the process. You should lift heavy, anywhere between 5 to 20 reps per set. I'd say about 4 sets per exercise. About four exercises per muscle group, or until you feel you tore it up well enough for the week. The idea is to work a particular muscle group pretty hard once a week, so it gets plenty of time to recover before hitting it again. You can just do chest, back, then legs, working out only three times a week. Or do chest, back, legs, arm & delts, and core, for five days a week workout. The fat laying on top of your muscles will make sure they're getting well fed. Then, after about 3 months or so of that, you can cut back on the carbs to reveal the muscles hiding below the surface. That's what bodybuilders do.

The OP would much better be suited for a beginner full body routine, than following a bro-split; she isn't well versed enough to have the need to spend a lot of time of isometric moves). It would be more optimal to concentrate on the big 4 (OHP, Bench, DL, Squat). Also, manipulation of carbs doesn't matter unless it gets them into a correct energy state (catabolic vs anabolic).

Though the full body routine is usually better for beginners, before attacking the muscles in the way I mentioned, some people just rather jump right into it. They don't want to do a whole bunch of different exercises each training session, when all they're interested in is creating more muscle mass. I didn't recommend any isometric movements. Though I agree with the big four when it comes to building muscle mass and functional strength, I wouldn't mind if the beginner didn't do them. You can see good results without them. People new to those exercises should start light and concentrate on developing good form. That's going to slow them down. Whereas, they could blast the muscles, going hard on machines, with much less risk of getting hurt. Eating about every 3 hours should keep them in an anabolic state.

This is terrible advice. Remember that other thread, where I shared how I've gotten the one hernia I've had in my entire life? It was on a machine, doing preacher curls. Please stop giving out such bad advice.

I guess you're right. Listen to the guy who got a hernia doing preacher curls. How is that even possible?

Too much weight, poor form, weak muscles. Plenty of reasons. But it doesn't invalid one's knowledge or intellect. That argument is about as effective as basing knowledge due to post count or how they look.

Yep. Back when I didn't know what I was doing, and right when I started, I did too much, too soon. Paid the price for it.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator

Too much weight, poor form, weak muscles. Plenty of reasons. But it doesn't invalid one's knowledge or intellect. That argument is about as effective as basing knowledge due to post count or how they look.

Yep. Back when I didn't know what I was doing, and right when I started, I did too much, too soon. Paid the price for it.

I developed sciatica issues from trying to bro-curl too much. Gotta love when ego > form. I definitely paid the price and will never allow that again.
  • mgalovic01
    edited November 2016

Too much weight, poor form, weak muscles. Plenty of reasons. But it doesn't invalid one's knowledge or intellect. That argument is about as effective as basing knowledge due to post count of how they look.

The preacher curl is meant to isolate the bicep. I have seen those that have no seat where I guess you could employ some less than perfect form, but still. I know you can tense up your entire body when doing preacher curls, but of all the things to get a hernia on. Unless you were only doing preacher curls for weeks or months, you may have caused the hernia doing something else, and exacerbated it with preacher curls. Either way, it all goes back to inadequate core strength. When you do exercises that produce that kind of tension in the abdomen, you should probably also do core specific exercises that will build up your muscle wall without the tensive pressure that some exercises put on your core.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am going to chime in here.
    First, yes start an established program like Strong Curves and get to maintenance.
    Also, I agree that I do not think you should bulk.. not yet at least. Bulking is a very mental process and if you are not ready it could turn out negative for you. At least while you are seeking treatment, I think striving to eat at maintenance for now is just fine. One step at a time.

I want to touch about the part where you were recommended to start a bulk for problem areas. The issue may be that you don't have a sufficient muscle base so as you lose weight, there is just not enough there and it doesn't look muscular or toned how you would like it. So building up the muscle all over then cutting was the recommendation (I would believe that is why). You can also do this with recomp but it is a bit slower and all that.

This was/is my problem. Although I look OK, I still have problem areas so I am bulking again. Building up the areas in my glutes/legs really helped the jiggle and cellulite... when I cut down I had muscle there so I looked better even at a higher weight, more muscular/toned/what have you.
    (I hope that all made sense I am very sleep deprived ha ha).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016

sc seems to have a lot of aesthetic-oriented verbiage and 'incentive' to it. not that that's all it's about, but i know i avoided it partly because of all that. filtering it out or having to mentally re-phrase half of it for the 'strength'-oriented mindset would have been an annoyane to me.

idk what the op's specific challenges are. if she's working to adjust her thinking about body image she might prefer something more straightforwardly about strength like stronglifts or starting strength. sl is full of 'become beast! get gurlz!' raving too, and it's pretty full of 'weak dude' shaming iirc. but i have to admit i just ignore it since it's not even aimed at a woman like me.
  • mgalovic01
    edited November 2016

I agree a person should have good form. That is indisputable. And the OP may benefit from working with the trainer or posting videos to get corrections. But there is no need to waste time on machines and "blast" the muscles. The advantage to StrongCurves, is that it starts you from very basic and progresses from there. it full expends you are a noob who has little to no experience.

And eating every 3 hours does not guarantee an anabolic state. That is just broscience.

Regularly eating, resting and working out keep you in an anabolic state. Working out and resting are givens. The real key is eating about every three hours. What else is there?

If you really want to go that route, listen to the person that has learned from his mistakes and now owns multiple regional records in powerlifting - and probably a world record in the next year. Oh, yeah - that would be me.

Kudos to you, but everyone knows machines are generally safer than free weights, especially for a beginner. It's just a way to see some quicker results so you can be motivated to continue.

Sounds like your issue was one that's all too prevalent. You neglected your core. I'm a firm believer in core work outside of it being a secondary component. It's your most important muscle group.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    sorry- anyone who says "blasts the muscles" immediately loses credibility.

Apology accepted lol. No agony no bragetty lol. I figured you'd like that one, and I've been waiting to say that. On the real though, if I'm recommending one session per muscle group, per week, it better be a good one. That's just how I word it. A little well placed intensity can be productive, and a good outlet. Just don't get carried away with it.

• mgalovic01
    All that being said, isolating body parts instead of doing compound movements could produce inequalities and imbalances that could lead to injury when trying to transition to power lifting. Power lifting is more functional. It does work your core at the same time. So, long as you don't round your back you should be fine. Power lifters are diesel too. So, after all that, it might really be the better way to go.