What was your rock bottom to get heathly?

Hi,
I've been thicker all my life (well from young child) and while I have no major health problems I'd like to keep it that way. I am not diabetic but I am insulin resistant and both of my parents were diabetic so I worry about getting there. I am 39 years old and both my parents passed early in life (one at 48, cancer, and one at 52, diabetes complications). I also have a younger child. Knowing all this YET I still make bad food and drink choices. I think to myself what does it take to make me change?? Anyways I was wondering what was your rock bottom that finally made you decide to lead a healthier lifestyle?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    A 42 inch waist, and my ex-wife and a writer that I respect telling me what disgusting hunk of *kitten* I was.
  • jattardi
    jattardi Posts: 35 Member
    For me is when I hit 260 pounds. I don't know why that was my breaking point. Not when I got sleep apnea, not when I had high cholesterol, not when I was diagnosed with a fatty liver. It was the 260 pound mark. Which I finally am under.
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    A 42 inch waist, and my ex-wife and a writer that I respect telling me what disgusting hunk of *kitten* I was.

Aww. Words hurt! Looks like you're doing great now though so good job!

• chrissjourney
    jattardi wrote: »
    For me is when I hit 260 pounds. I don't know why that was my breaking point. Not when I got sleep apnea, not when I had high cholesterol, not when I was diagnosed with a fatty liver. It was the 260 pound mark. Which I finally am under.

It was that number that got you huh. I hang around the same number all the time...not much more, not much less. Good job on getting under it...I bet it feels great! Thanks.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

Aww. Words hurt! Looks like you're doing great now though so good job!

They were exactly what I needed, and it would have been good to hear before I was 25, but c'est la vie.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    For me, it was trying to find something to wear to a party and realizing that even my "fat" clothes were tight.
  • chrissjourney
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    It was a culmination of alot of things.

I wanted to expand my family but could not because I wasn't getting my period, thanks to my hormones being out of whack due to obesity.

I, in general, was not happy with myself. Appearance, mood, etc.

I'd visited my SIL previous and we went "hiking" up to a beautiful waterfall close to her home. When I say hiking, it was really just climbing up a few rocks, less than a quarter mile. I barely made it. I was winded, everything hurt and I felt like a failure.

I was having balance issues - falling, rolling my ankle... falling included down the stairs, several times... one time bruising my tailbone.

I'd just had enough of all that. I was ready to do whatever it took to lose the weight. I wanted to be happy with myself, have another baby, etc. So I set a goal, read great advice on the forums, logged my foods, stuck to it and succeeded.

*Had my 2nd Child Jan 2015, Fixed my balance issues, have run a couple 5ks, hiked frequently, dropped from a size 16 jeans to 4/6, and am in general, much happier with myself. Did it fix everything? No. But it fixed ALOT.

I too struggle with my hormones. I have PCOS and it's so hard to lose. My pattern is giving up because nothing happens. You're inspiring from a 16 to a 4/6...that's awesome! Thank you.

• chrissjourney
    For me, it was trying to find something to wear to a party and realizing that even my "fat" clothes were tight.

I have even been here. I have opted out of outings because I didn't feel comfortable in anything I put on. You would think that would be enough for me but nope. I'm glad it was for you though!
  • chrissjourney
    It was when my doctor tried to put me on some high-protein / no-exercise program (with counseling, etc.), and when I said "no, I'll take this year and lose it on my own" and he basically said "you won't be successful"--well, that's when I got serious. I'm losing this weight (70 pounds so far this year) out of pure spite so that I can show him on my next check-up that I did it....
    Yes! The "I'll show you" attitude, I love it! Congrats on the loss and for showing him.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    The fact that I would end up wearing the same pair of khaki pants for the next 40 years.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Got to a point in my life things kind of just *kitten* slapped me in the face and i got stubborn XD Was seriosuly just like something changed overnight for me. Was pretty strange how simply i took on all the new healthy haabits.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10480542/i-think-im-superwoman-3#latest posted it here if you care XD
  • chrissjourney
    zyxst wrote: »
    The fact that I would end up wearing the same pair of khaki pants for the next 40 years.
    And now not, I'm assuming :)
  • chrissjourney
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    I've struggled since my mid-teens with my weight. after i turned 30, I had several issues develop, the first being an underactive thyroid. Went on meds for it, maintained my weight for a while, but got complacent, particularly while my mom was dying of cancer, just didn't pay attention. I knew I was heavier than I'd been in a while, but I wasn't aware of how much. I saw a photo of myself at a friend's wedding shower & I barely recognized myself. I looked swollen all over. I rejoined WW at the time and worked hard. Lost a bunch. Then over the course of 15 minutes I had 2 separate leg injuries, each requiring crutches & months of PT. Gained some, but not all, of the weight back. After my injuries it seemed even harder to lose, but I kept at it, because I WAS losing and everything I was doing for WL also had other benefits. In January I found out my progress was so slow due to insulin resistance. Went on the medication and now I've lost 34# this year. You might have to work harder with your own issues, BUT IT CAN BE DONE. You really just need to want it enough to do the work. After tracking for 8+ years, it isn't a pain for me, it is just a habit. What keeps me going, even when I am struggling, is that my mom died in her mid-50s (about 10 yrs older than I am now) and she didn't take care of herself until it was too late. I don't want that to be me. Besides, I've worked so long and hard on my progress so far that I don't want to give up now. As long as the scale keeps moving towards a healthy weight, I will keep trying. I will get there eventually.

If you are looking for motivation and struggling, perhaps sitting down & making a list will help. Keep it in your wallet where you can reread it for extra inspiration when you feel like giving up.

You are def an inspiration! With the thyroid and insulin resistance both strikes against weight loss and you beat them....good job for sure!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    I was on my second set of scales as i'd 'outgrown' the old set and I still managed to 'zero' them.

One full loop back to zero was my moment to say 'enough'
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    When I realized I was avoiding the (mirrored) closets in my house because I truly loathed myself for getting so enormous
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    It wasn't rock bottom for me. It was a hole and a pile of rocks. Seriously. I had drainage issues that regularly flooded my garage so I had to dig down to the drainage pipe, take the dirt to the dump and filled it in with drain rock. About halfway through I bought a fitness tracker and saw where my heart rate was going. Well, I moved the rock (~12.5 yards) and have just kept dealing with my weight ever since. Been since September and down 40 lbs or so.

I'm amused by the doctor story above only because I'm not going to the doc until I'm down in weight. Maybe when I'm 250 or so. Just such a pain to find one in this town that I don't want the conversation to be about my weight when I know (at this point) I'm dealing with it.