Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,170 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Anyone else just warmer than their SO all the time? (Rather than hot flashes.) I am always turning the thermostat down on him. We are about the same amount of overweight; he may have a little more to lose.

When I was overweight, I was always hot and if I exerted myself a little bit, I was even hotter ... like dripping.

Then I lost the weight and I cooled off nicely. It was great!

But just in the last couple months, I'm hot again and even hotter when I exert myself or go into a hot flash.

I had a coworker a number of years ago who used to come to work in a short-sleeved blouse all the time. I wondered how on earth she did that when our office was really cold and I'd be there in about 4 layers of wool. I understand now and now I'm the one in my office in a short-sleeved blouse while all those around me are in multiple layers. I had a bit of a chuckle about this today when I looked around my uni classroom. All the students were in heavy sweatshirts with thick jackets over top, and I was sitting there in a T-shirt ... and even that was almost too hot.

I have to wear layers ... it's the only way to keep things tolerable.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    The emotional changes are worse than the physical ones, for me. I'm irritable & angry a lot. And, I have a young daughter daughter (5.5 yr old). I feel like a crap mom because I just don't have the patience to deal with my smart but very clingy & demanding child. I guess I'm thankful I'm not dealing with a moody teenager but my kid is def suffering from having a wackadoodle mom :(
    Anyone else dealing with parenting struggles and peri/menopause?

48, peri, 2 kids 11 & 8 that I home school, and lots of guilt! ;)

I didn't plan on having kids later in life (we didn't think we could have kids... surprise!), and it definitely never occurred to me that I would be navigating menopause while they were still young. Lesson for the kids out there. :)
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I suspect I have begun perimenopause - I was in a filthy bad mood for three days recently , my poor children. I felt so bad losing my temper with them. They're only 3 and 5 so of course they're going to do things that are irritating. I'm struggling as I've always been calm, even tempered and sane. This has got to stop!! What supplements are people taking?? What foods trigger/make things worse??
    The emotional changes are worse than the physical ones, for me. I'm irritable & angry a lot. And, I have a young daughter daughter (5.5 yr old). I feel like a crap mom because I just don't have the patience to deal with my smart but very clingy & demanding child. I guess I'm thankful I'm not dealing with a moody teenager but my kid is def suffering from having a wackadoodle mom :(
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Hey guys...I was surprised to see my thread come back up.

I feel terrible tonight. Three months since my last period. Prior to that one it had been five months. I'm tired. I have cramps. But this keeps happening and then...nothing. God, I'm so tired of this, I can't even tell you how tired. Waking up each morning drenched in sweat, joy. It feels like a punishment.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I suspect I have begun perimenopause - I was in a filthy bad mood for three days recently , my poor children. I felt so bad losing my temper with them. They're only 3 and 5 so of course they're going to do things that are irritating. I'm struggling as I've always been calm, even tempered and sane. This has got to stop!! What supplements are people taking?? What foods trigger/make things worse??

Thankfully, mine are all teens. While I don't get specific with my boy, I have explained to my girls about peri-men, etc. I also homeschool so we are together 24/7. I try to be very aware of my moods. If I know I'm being hormonal I'll tell the kids I need to teach and not talk much. I'll tell them I'm in a mom mood which they know means I need to be left alone for awhile.

Nutritionally, I find taking calcium/magnesium in a 1:1 ratio, 1300 mg of evening primrose oil, avoiding soy like the plague all help keep me able to at least be very aware of how I'm feeling so I can avoid blathering at my kids. Otherwise, peri pretty much sucks (shhh we're not allowed to use that word in our house) and I think I'd rather go through puberty again then peri!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Nutritionally, I find taking calcium/magnesium in a 1:1 ratio, 1300 mg of evening primrose oil, avoiding soy like the plague all help keep me able to at least be very aware of how I'm feeling so I can avoid blathering at my kids. Otherwise, peri pretty much sucks (shhh we're not allowed to use that word in our house) and I think I'd rather go through puberty again then peri!

Now that's interesting, because in that Wisdom of Menopause book, she really pushes soy.

BTW, how long does a person need to used progesterone cream for it to have an effect? Can it ever make things worse, do you know?
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever gone months without a cycle to then have them resume monthly on a regular schedule??? 3 months in a row now of really tough cycles physically but barely spotting exactly 32 days apart

Right at the beginning. Periods started getting a bit erratic for a few months, then stopped for three. But the started back up on a pretty regular 28 day cycle (I had previously been a clock work 31 days prior). Stayed that way for over a year until a few months ago. Now I'm back to erratic, though been 7 weeks since my last so far.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Anyone else just warmer than their SO all the time? (Rather than hot flashes.) I am always turning the thermostat down on him. We are about the same amount of overweight; he may have a little more to lose.

I think my SO is having sympathy symptoms, just polar opposite from me. So I'm hot when he is cold and he is hot when I'm cold. The battles over the thermostat have been epic! LOL

• LAWoman72
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi, ladies...how's it going? I'm on CD97 right now and still having the PMS-y symptoms I started having about a week ago. Extreme exhaustion, hunger...tiredness...crankiness...headache...hopeless feelings...I hate it...I feel terrible. The worst part really is that my period may not come at this time anyway. I go through this a lot with this whole peri thing - having these symptoms, then nothing happens.

I have no idea when to expect my period, if ever. But my last cycle was 148 days long. I track on fertilityfriend.

Hanging in but it's hard. It just feels so bad...I'm so tired of this...and so tired in general. I napped today and I just want to go back to sleep again. Sucks.

Sorry for the whinge.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,170 Member
    Options
    I just wish the periods would stop! Two cycles ago, I had a 37-day cycle and got all excited thinking that maybe I'd skip one ... but nope. And then the next one came in about 21 days.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Now that's interesting, because in that Wisdom of Menopause book, she really pushes soy.

BTW, how long does a person need to used progesterone cream for it to have an effect? Can it ever make things worse, do you know?

Progesterone cream works right away if it's enough (OTC's are pretty mild so it depends how low a person is if OTC's will work). Yes, it can make things worse. The bummer is, symptoms of too little progesterone are the same as too much progesterone (moody, weepy, anxiety, anger, etc). So if someone gets worse when they use it then I usually suggest cutting it in half to see if that helps. You just have to micro adjust the dose to get it where you need it - which is honestly why I prefer compounded prescribed progesterone cream. Then you're given exactly what your body needs based on blood work rather then trying to constantly micro-adjust. Unless you have a functional medicine doc that's willing to prescribe based on how you're feeling (vs. "you're in the normal range") it can be hard to get prescribed. Although, my 19yr old played around with it for a few months and now she knows when and how much she needs. So if you don't mind playing with the dosing, it can be learned within a few months fairly easily.

Soy is very controversial. Pre-peri menopause I avoided it like the plague. I'm actually going to ask my practitioner about adding some in now that I'm in peri and see what she says. I trust her implicitly so I'll follow what she says. No matter what, if I do get any soy, it's always organic, always non-GMO and fermented whenever possible (but can't always make that happen). And I will still make sure no one else in my family gets it even if I do.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Hi, ladies...how's it going? I'm on CD97 right now and still having the PMS-y symptoms I started having about a week ago. Extreme exhaustion, hunger...tiredness...crankiness...headache...hopeless feelings...I hate it...I feel terrible. The worst part really is that my period may not come at this time anyway. I go through this a lot with this whole peri thing - having these symptoms, then nothing happens.

I have no idea when to expect my period, if ever. But my last cycle was 148 days long. I track on fertilityfriend.

Hanging in but it's hard. It just feels so bad...I'm so tired of this...and so tired in general. I napped today and I just want to go back to sleep again. Sucks.

Sorry for the whinge.

We've gotten to the point where if I haven't started cycling by day 35 I go ahead and induce a cycle. I find so much relief being able to do this. Otherwise it's PMS and water retention until I do start (and like you, it could be a long time if I let it go......). Sorry you're going through the long phase. It's so miserable!
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Sorry for the whinge.

We've gotten to the point where if I haven't started cycling by day 35 I go ahead and induce a cycle. I find so much relief being able to do this. Otherwise it's PMS and water retention until I do start (and like you, it could be a long time if I let it go......). Sorry you're going through the long phase. It's so miserable!

Induce it? How?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Sorry for the whinge.

Induce it? How?

Not sure if this has anything at all to do with what @ronjsteele1 said but I now take Prometrium starting when I ovulate and get my periods like clockwork. (I stop taking it when my period kicks into high gear.) However, previously I wasn't as regular about taking it and used to have six week to 3 months cycles. I'd feel like that had gone on long enough, start with the Prometrium, and my period would come within a few days.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options

Sorry for the whinge.

Induce it? How?

I'll answer this but I won't get into a debate with what anyone thinks about it. It works. It works for me. And I care more about having my peri symptoms abated then I do to argue with people about how I make that happen. This is not necessarily directed at you, LAWoman. It's a generic statement to anyone that would like to argue. Now that the disclaimer is stated - I take helonias 3X - 3 doses a day for a max of three days (it is not to be taken longer for this purpose). Usually, my cycle will kick in by the end of the first day but I have had it take into the 3rd day once in awhile. I always wait until day 35 before trying it because up to that point I just consider the symptoms as normal PMS and I really try not to interfere too much with my body's natural processes (within reason). So far, the helonias has worked every time I've used it. I am not sure if this works once someone starts getting into the 100's of days between cycles. I'm not there yet (I've run 58-60 at the longest). That said, there is no harm in trying it, and it might work. The body won't do anything with it if it can't use it.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Sorry for the whinge.

Induce it? How?

I'll answer this but I won't get into a debate with what anyone thinks about it. It works. It works for me. And I care more about having my peri symptoms abated then I do to argue with people about how I make that happen. This is not necessarily directed at you, LAWoman. It's a generic statement to anyone that would like to argue. Now that the disclaimer is stated - I take helonias 3X - 3 doses a day for a max of three days (it is not to be taken longer for this purpose). Usually, my cycle will kick in by the end of the first day but I have had it take into the 3rd day once in awhile. I always wait until day 35 before trying it because up to that point I just consider the symptoms as normal PMS and I really try not to interfere too much with my body's natural processes (within reason). So far, the helonias has worked every time I've used it. I am not sure if this works once someone starts getting into the 100's of days between cycles. I'm not there yet (I've run 58-60 at the longest). That said, there is no harm in trying it, and it might work. The body won't do anything with it if it can't use it.

Where do you get this helionas?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

The Estrogen Window doc and many others do as well.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options

My knowledge of health, soy, and hormones leads me to believe that as one's estrogen drops in peri-m that a small amount of soy would in fact be prudent. Soy is estrogenic or as most people in the natural realm refer to it, a phytoestrogen. So knowing that, I think having some would be wise to increase my estrogen levels.

My problem is soy is an enormous hormone interrupter. I almost feel like I'd be better off using a bio-identical estrogen cream then trying to increase my estrogen via eating soy. That really goes against what I believe about getting as much as I can from good food. Hippocrates said, "let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food." That really hasn't changed today. Well, except that modern medical doctors fail miserably to follow the father of medicine's example. :/

So I really go back and forth with increasing my estrogen via even organic soy (it has other issues I'm concerned about). At the next appt with my practitioner we made plans to talk about the best way to get my estrogen up a little bit. I'm fairly certain I know which direction we'll go but I'm going to wait and look at all the options with her. I really like to work through the merits or not of each option and then decide what will work best for my body. So, soy for me will be "to be continued." :)
  • ronjsteele1
    Options

Sorry for the whinge.

Induce it? How?

Where do you get this helionas?

Sending you a PM with the info.
  • TaraTaraTara76
    TaraTaraTara76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

My knowledge of health, soy, and hormones leads me to believe that as one's estrogen drops in peri-m that a small amount of soy would in fact be prudent. Soy is estrogenic or as most people in the natural realm refer to it, a phytoestrogen. So knowing that, I think having some would be wise to increase my estrogen levels.

My problem is soy is an enormous hormone interrupter. I almost feel like I'd be better off using a bio-identical estrogen cream then trying to increase my estrogen via eating soy. That really goes against what I believe about getting as much as I can from good food. Hippocrates said, "let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food." That really hasn't changed today. Well, except that modern medical doctors fail miserably to follow the father of medicine's example. :/

So I really go back and forth with increasing my estrogen via even organic soy (it has other issues I'm concerned about). At the next appt with my practitioner we made plans to talk about the best way to get my estrogen up a little bit. I'm fairly certain I know which direction we'll go but I'm going to wait and look at all the options with her. I really like to work through the merits or not of each option and then decide what will work best for my body. So, soy for me will be "to be continued." :)

Dr. Mache Siebel (The Estrogen Window), wrote a whole book on soy and menopause. I have it on my to-read list.