Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Small update: everything had pretty much settled down for several months, since about August. You'd have thought I'd suddenly reverted back to the way things were in my late 30s. Until the last month ... and now much of the weirdness is back. <<sigh>>
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Bumping this thread because I spent a long time searching for it and forgot I had bookmarked it.
    Do people from this thread participate in the near or post menopausal group?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group

I'm 43 and my period has been irregular for 4 months along with increased intense migraines. My period was always pretty regular and mild and now it is crazy. My mom is dead and I don't really have anyone in my life to talk about this experience with.
    Just saw the doctor today and she said it could be perimenpause but they want to check other stuff to make sure.
  • Machka9
    Hot flashes suck!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    There's a product called Relizen that I've been taking for a few months and it's got rid of my hot flashes completely,its kinda spendy tho
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    whitpauly wrote: »
    There's a product called Relizen that I've been taking for a few months and it's got rid of my hot flashes completely,its kinda spendy tho

That IS expensive. yikes.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member

It is,,and its Swedish bee pollen,I've wondered if just buying regular bee pollen would work but in reviews I've read it's not as effective
  • Sabine_Stroehm

It is,,and its Swedish bee pollen,I've wondered if just buying regular bee pollen would work but in reviews I've read it's not as effective

Worth a try. There's a lot on the web about it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

I'm 52 and have never had a hot flash. I wonder if it's related to the Black Cohosh I've been taking for years for my fibroids.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317530.php

...A 2010 review concluded menopausal women experienced a 26 percent reduction in night sweats and hot flashes when using black cohosh supplements.

A 2013 review of available studies found that menopausal symptoms reduced more, on average, in women taking black cohosh than in women taking a placebo.
  • Machka9
    Mine disappeared when I lost weight ... then flared up for a while when I was eating red meat fairly regularly during a 1-month holiday ... then vanished again for a while until I hit a point in my life where I was suddenly plunged into the most stressful situation I've ever been in. And then they came back with a vengeance.

Seems like red meat and stress are my triggers.

I'm on all sorts of stuff for them (and can't use HRT), but they've only eased from about once every 30 minutes down to once an hour or so.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I’ve been skipping periods for months. This month I got some spotting. That seems to be over but my breasts are really tender like they usually are pre-period.
    leonadixon wrote: »
    I’ve been skipping periods for months. This month I got some spotting. That seems to be over but my breasts are really tender like they usually are pre-period.

Is breast tenderness a symptom? My right has been so painful for 2 weeks now :(

This is what I've been wondering...my breasts are tender like they get right before my period, and have been for probably a couple of weeks. At first I thought it was because I needed a new running bra. Also, does anyone else get breakouts? My chin looks looks like that of a 15 year old, and I am 52!! Is there anything I can do about this?
  • Machka9
    HASWLRS wrote: »

This is what I've been wondering...my breasts are tender like they get right before my period, and have been for probably a couple of weeks. At first I thought it was because I needed a new running bra. Also, does anyone else get breakouts? My chin looks looks like that of a 15 year old, and I am 52!! Is there anything I can do about this?

They've got some great new skin washes out there ... much better than what I recall I was available back when I was 15.

I picked one and started using it every day, and it seemed to help.

I also started taking Vit A. Just one each day ... you've got to be a bit careful with Vit A.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    HASWLRS wrote: »

I'd bet you're nearing the end....eat right (and watch the calories) and try to sleep would be my two bits of advice. good luck!
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    I am 40 and my hormones started going crazy a little over two years ago. Which is right on track with most of the ladies in my family, so it wasn't much of a surprise after we figured out what was going on.

I didn't know what perimenopaus
    E was until a friend of mine turned me onto Christianne Northup's books. (May have misspelled her name but I'm being lazy and not going to take the time to look it up)

It's such a relief to find others who are going through the same thing. After all the messed up menstrual cycles and insane issues that come with that, I'm looking forward to menopause.

Ditching some fat stores seems to be helping a bit. I was told it'd help get rid of some of the excess estrogen stored in my bod- hopefully that'll speed up the process. Who knows.
  • mamasara2
    @hobbitses333 I've been told we can get a pretty good idea of how our journey goes by looking at the ladies in our family- mom, grandmother, even aunts. My aunt had the same excessive bleeding issues that I have during Perimenopause but my mom, oddly enough, didn't. They both went through to menopause by their mid-forties and I was told my grandmother was the same.

Any chance you know your family history in that area?
  • mamasara2
    @kshama2001 my herbalist has me take vitex pretty regularly to help with the hormonal stuff. It works great!
    The herbal stuff works way better for me than the pharmaceuticals. But there are so many options out there, I'm lucky to have a knowledgeable herbalist close by.
  • SuzOh
    SuzOh Posts: 262 Member
    haviegirl wrote: »
    I'll be 54 in two weeks. And my periods are as regular as ever. I'm so over it.

I'll be 54 next month and just over the last 3 months have I finally missed periods. I was getting excited, then just when I thought they might be gone I got a "mini period" this week but ALL the symptoms of PMS were at full strength. I look forward to saying goodbye to the "red wave" for good soon. Sadly I have noticed the menopausal belly and waistline as of late. That's got to go too!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    mamasara2 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 my herbalist has me take vitex pretty regularly to help with the hormonal stuff. It works great!
    The herbal stuff works way better for me than the pharmaceuticals. But there are so many options out there, I'm lucky to have a knowledgeable herbalist close by.

I took Vitex for years. My fibroids have gotten bigger when I stopped, but they've been steadily getting bigger since they were first spotted in 2000, so I don't think I can attribute that to the cessation of Vitex.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Oh, I am glad I found this thread! Help?

Any long distance runners in the house? I hear exercise is supposed to make hot flashes better. I am training for a marathon and still suffering. The hot flashes are kitting my *kitten* this summer. Does anything help? I just want to stop sweating in my sleep!