Leftover turkey

Options
grob49
grob49 Posts: 125 Member
OK Thanksgiving is over and you have leftover turkey and Ham. Need ideas for meals that won't break my calorie deficit. Trying to keep carbs down and don't really care for baked sweet potatoes

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    sandwiches...

I usually make a nice turkey soup as well...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Turkey and ham with a bag of frozen veggies?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    You can send some turkey to me ;)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    No end of recipes for making use of turkey leftovers. Just Google for ideas.

The most wasteful thing to do is to throw the bones out. Toss all of the bones, including the aleady eaten wing/leg/thigh bones, if any, and scraps in a big pot w/onions, carrots & celery and make a broth, which can be used in any recipe calling for chicken broth.

Just toss out the bones and flavorless meat & veggies afterward. Should make at least a 2-4 quarts of broth. You can add leftover chunks of turkey along w/beans, pasta and/or fresh veggies of your chioce to make a soup.

I just reheat any leftover meat in left over gravy and serve it as a main course w/the normal sides, OR cut it up and add it to ramen OR just eat it cold, as is, straight out of the frig as a snack. You can, of course, freeze any leftovers that you don't think you'll eat right away.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Turkey mole, mmmm......
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Turkey salad sandwiches.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Turkey quesadilla on a low carb tortilla
    Turkey tacos with lettuce wraps
    Salad with protein of choice
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    "Turkey" Divan

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/151559/campbells-kitchen-chicken-broccoli-divan/

I like to substitute chow mien noodles for bread crumbs. Any creamy soup will work.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We usually do soup, pot pie, and use it in stir fried and things, but I made these croquettes several years in a row and they're awesome.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-turkey-croquettes/
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    We ordered a fried turkey from a hot chicken place. It was awesome.

I had some in a salad for lunch. For dinner, I think I'm just going to sit down to a plateful with some mustard.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    OK Thanksgiving is over and you have leftover turkey and Ham. Need ideas for meals that won't break my calorie deficit. Trying to keep carbs down and don't really care for baked sweet potatoes

I put it in my freezer. Next month I will be making turkey Shepard's pie.

Add the meat to salads, eggs or soup.
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/694/everyday-cooking/everyday-leftovers/turkey/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/14506/everyday-cooking/everyday-leftovers/ham/?internalSource=hub nav&referringId=14503&referringContentType=recipe hub&linkName=hub nav daughter&clickId=hub nav 2

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like making wraps with it. I took an Ole xTreme Wellness wrap and put some homemade, low sugar cranberry sauce on it. Then I put some shredded turkey breast in a bowl with 2tbls of low fat Greek yogurt and Dijion mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix and then put in on top of the cranberry sauce and then I topped off with some fresh arugula. I wrapped and then I ate mine with a little bit of sriracha. I'll do it again for dinner tonight.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    My fav is turkey added to a cream gravy over mashed potatoes,scalloped potatoes with ham & turkey tetrazzini.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Turkey pot pie
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I do chicken noodle soup for the end of a roasted chicken. Boil the carcass with an onion (whole) and carrot. Drain and keep the meat and liquors. Then add chopped veg (any you like) with some chillies or chilli flakes, ginger, garlic and a packet of instant noodles plus the chicken seasoning (if that is the flavour). Simmer and serve.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make soup with the turkey meat, sliced yellow squash and zucchini, carrots, potato, onion, and mushrooms.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to make soup, too -- turkey, carrots, onions, mushrooms, celery, stock, and maybe some noodles or potatoes. I also really like turkey on salads.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A good way to heat up the leftover turkey to have it still moist and wonderful is to use a steamer basket and just heat slices and chunks of it over water. Lovely.