Any Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker owners here?

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe links! :smiley:
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yes I've used my Instant Pot for a year now, and am waiting for USPS to deliver the second one I got on Black Friday. With 5 dogs nothing goes to waste, I have a turkey carcass in mine now making them broth.

All squashes are SO easy and fast to cook, I've been able to eliminate higher calorie potatoes in favor of butternut or acorn squash, in my dinners, no need to fire up the oven all the time. I also get that big bag of frozen chicken breast at Costco and toss about 8 in the pot with seasoning, they cook so fast, thats the chicken I use daily on my lunch salad.

Lentil, kale and vegetable stew is another lower calorie yet filling meal I've made myself, I can bump up the protein with my leftover turkey.

I made pumpkin custards in ramekins in it, with stevia instead of sugar. Tonight I'll take some organic apples that are about to go bad and applesauce them, a dollop of that on my pumpkin custard will be a nice dessert.

I make mini high protein egg muffins sometimes too, with spinach, a bit of cheese and a bit of bacon. Easy to microwave for a quick snack.

I made turkey and lentil chili recently too. So much faster and without the constant checking on and stirring of cooking on a stovetop. Basically I cook things I never would have cooked before, because its a bit faster and takes less babysitting, with the Instant Pot. Love it!
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just got mine yesterday. Made bourbon chicken with frozen breasts. Turned out good but won't make again due to all the soy sauce and honey..but i had the ingredients and wanted to try my ip!
    Then made popcorn, boiled eggs. Today i made this:
    Cooked some diced onion, garlic and 1lb turkey kielbasa on saute mode. Then added 1 c white rice, 1.5 c water, some chicken bullion, and garlic powder, chili powder and cumin, and a can of kidney beans. Manual 8 minutes. 10 min keep warm then released pressure. Turned out delicious! Could make sure kind of meal with chicken, black beans and taco seasonings. Yum!
    Looking forward to continuing trying new things!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Oh that sounds good! I love the Hillshire smoked turkey sausage and this sounds a new way to prepare it.
  • mamajenb
    mamajenb Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This thread made me order one for the husband for Christmas :)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Just bought a instapot on sale. So far steel cut Oatmeal, three minutes cook time, we're at 7200' it takes an hour on the stove top. A yummy pork butt roast done in 30 minutes, pork and beef chille in 35 minutes. Look forward to keeping the cook times short at altitude.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Instant Pot is on sale for 68 dollars on Amazon today (Cyber Monday). Check it out if you don't have one already.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I use a fuzzy-logic rice cooker. Similar in many respects, I think.
    Makes oatmeal, porridge, bakes cakes, steams vegetables, whatever.

My favorite thing to make in it is short grain rice.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have had my IP for just over a year and I use it every day!

I use it to steam veggies for dinner, but I also regularly cook:

Turkey chili
    Low carb bolognese
    Chicken crowns pressure cooked then slow cooked to use the meat for cold chicken & to make broth with the bones / veggies
    Brisket
    Pulled Pork
    Pressure cooker boiled eggs
    Rice pudding
    Fruits (Apple, Plum, Rubarb)
    Low carb cheesecake

I have not tried yoghurt, but I really want to. I am just struggling as I follow Keto / LCHF and plain yoghurt does not really appeal.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    @CaliforniaAJ how do you cook fruits? I make applesauce all the time in the slow cooker, but I heard a pressure cooker wouldn't work?
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    @Hamsibian

IP Applesauce:
    Ingredients

6-8 medium to large apples (Granny Smith, Gala, McIntosh, Fuji, etc.)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp organic cinnamon (optional)
    Instructions

Cut apples into 2-inch chunks. Discard the core, stem and seeds.
    Place in Instant Pot along with 1 cup of water.
    Close Instant Pot lid and set to manual high pressure (HP) for 8 minutes. Be sure the steam vent is sealed.
    The Instant Pot will take about 8 minutes to reach high pressure, then will cook for 8 minutes.
    Once the timer goes off, let sit for about 2-3 minutes.
    Turn steam vent to release pressure. Once all steam has dissipated, open the lid.
    Remove excess water if there is any.
    Use an electric mixer or immersion blender to smooth out applesauce to the consistency you prefer. I like mine with some lumpiness to it. You may prefer it smooth.
    Add 1-2 drops of cinnamon oil or cinnamon powder to taste.
    Let cool or place in the refrigerator to cool down.

CAUTION: Don't overfill. I did this once I when I opened the lid, the whole thing kind of exploded over my kitchen. I found dried on apple even 2 weeks later!

Here are some cooking times for other fruits: http://instantpot.com/cooking-time/fruits/
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    @CaliforniaAJ thank you so much!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    J
    Then made popcorn,

You can do popcorn in the damn thing?

Going to have to try that.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Just bought a instapot on sale. So far steel cut Oatmeal, three minutes cook time, we're at 7200' it takes an hour on the stove top. A yummy pork butt roast done in 30 minutes, pork and beef chille in 35 minutes. Look forward to keeping the cook times short at altitude.

Wow I never even thought about how nice it would be to have if you lived at altitude!
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of Facebook groups for Instant Pot cooking. Search "Instant Pot Community" and "Instant Pot for Indian Cooking". Lots of recipes there.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking this thread... I can't wait to try mine, but I can't open it until Christmas!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking this thread... I can't wait to try mine, but I can't open it until Christmas!
    Buy another one for right now. :p

• cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    J
    Then made popcorn,

You can do popcorn in the damn thing?

Going to have to try that.

Yep...use saute mode..heat oil..add popcorn and cover with glass lid. When popping slows down turn it off and let finish popping a couple more minutes
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Buy another one for right now. :p

The thought has crossed my mind more than once.