Any Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker owners here?

Options

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    @CrabNebula Is making skyr too different from making yogurt? I've wanted to try it but am a little worried about spending the money on a starter tub and rennet tablets.

No, I just do it the same way as I make Greek yogurt, but I use a skyr starter. Icelandic Provisions when I can find it, but if not, Siggis or whatever.

Something to note about skyr is that if you lengthen the incubation time to 18 hours or so, you will get cheese after straining. It is extremely thick, heavy, like having rocks in your gut after eating it. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending. I have subbed it for cream cheese in some places. Sometimes I just eat it as is because I want rocks to keep me from eating more. :tongue:
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave pressure cooker that cooks brown rice and chicken breasts perfectly. When I'm goaling, I spend my Sunday making my lunches for the week in the thing.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Risotto, multiple types - comes out perfectly.
    Green chili chicken - good as a chili or as an enchilada filling
    Split pea soup from dried split peas - best I've ever had, probably my favorite recipe of all
    Hard and soft boiled eggs
    Japanese-style steamed cheesecake
    Corned beef and cabbage
    Ailea pulled pork (Hawaiian pit style)
    Apple butter (slow cooker mode)

I made a lamb tagine that came out to be the perfect tenderness, but was just too sweet to me - too many dried fruits.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love ours! We do salsa chicken, round steak, broth, etc in ours all the time~
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    First day I did turkey bolognese and half a spaghetti squash at the same time and I was super impressed. Lentil soup is easily my favourite, all the flavour and texture in so little time.

@MelanieCN77 I need info on this lentil soup you made! I love lentil soup and usually buy it canned because it's so easy...but I'm getting an Instant Pot for Christmas and would love to make my own in it!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just bought one on a Black Friday deal at Amazon - have heard how flippin' amazing they are so decided to take advantage of the deal...

@Ready2Rock206 Would love to hear what you think when you receive it also what you first make in it and your thoughts. :wink:

I read a thread about this but wondering now if I read about it in one of my groups? Someone else shared about the big special on Amazon. I don't think I understood the wonders of it or thought I might not utilize them all.

Can you or someone in the know share with me what it does/uses? Here's what I recall.. rice cooker, slow cooker, pressure cooker (what do cook in this? not familiar) and 4 other things right? I think I recall it as 7 in 1 or 6 in 1? :laugh:

'Splain it please?

Thanks to all for adding your thoughts on the thread! :D
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Just bought a instapot on sale. So far steel cut Oatmeal, three minutes cook time, we're at 7200' it takes an hour on the stove top. A yummy pork butt roast done in 30 minutes, pork and beef chille in 35 minutes. Look forward to keeping the cook times short at altitude.

Wow a roast at 30 minutes, now that is awesome! Bummer today is Tues when I'm reading this. :tired_face:
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Just bought a instapot on sale. So far steel cut Oatmeal, three minutes cook time, we're at 7200' it takes an hour on the stove top. A yummy pork butt roast done in 30 minutes, pork and beef chille in 35 minutes. Look forward to keeping the cook times short at altitude.

Wow a roast at 30 minutes, now that is awesome! Bummer today is Tues when I'm reading this. :tired_face:

I just checked and it's still $68....get it!
    https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1480439935&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+pot
  • Hearts_2015
    edited November 2016
    Options
    _dixiana_ wrote: »

I just checked and it's still $68....get it!
    https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO60-Multi-Functional-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1480439935&sr=1-1&keywords=instant+pot

OH Awesome @_dixiana_ Thanks you so much for looking for me!!
  • Hearts_2015
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @CaliforniaAJ What a great share! Looking forward to making it, love applesauce with no sugar, never have understood why sugar is added. :smile:

Those of you that own one already or have recently purchased one on Amazon.. When you bought the IP did you buy the glass lid or a cookbook when you ordered or a warranty?

Will I need a glass lid right away... which foods is that used to cook for?

Regarding recipes there's some great ones shared on this thread, tons to look up on Pinterst, food bloggers etc. so I'm probably good there.

Buy a warranty or not? Probably a big no on that right?
  • catruledquilter
    catruledquilter Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    <snip> I highly recommend the Americas Test Kitchen Pressure Cooker Perfection book. Lots of great recipes and tips. The mac & cheese and smothered pork chop recipes are outstanding!

Thanks for the recommendation!! I just ordered the book!!
  • catruledquilter
    catruledquilter Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've done roasts, potatoes, pork chops, chicken breasts, and I forget what else so far. I did try rice; however, I prefer my stove top rice cooker for that. My SIL had a 3-in-1 pot by Fagor. That's the one I chose to get. I also have a stove top Fagor pressure cooker that has high & low pressure options. There have been times I've used both for different parts of the meal. My 3-in-1 has a browning option, rice option, slow cooker (high & low) option. I've tried all the options. I use all but the rice option on a regular basis.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    _dixiana_ wrote: »
    First day I did turkey bolognese and half a spaghetti squash at the same time and I was super impressed. Lentil soup is easily my favourite, all the flavour and texture in so little time.

@MelanieCN77 I need info on this lentil soup you made! I love lentil soup and usually buy it canned because it's so easy...but I'm getting an Instant Pot for Christmas and would love to make my own in it!

I used onion, garlic, carrots and potatoes, red lentils and Better Than Bouillon chicken stock. Eyeball the veg, but for 1 cup of lentils, about 3-4 cups broth I guess? For firm lentils, 6-7 minutes, I go 10-12 because I like the thick smush soup.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

Can you or someone in the know share with me what it does/uses? Here's what I recall.. rice cooker, slow cooker, pressure cooker (what do cook in this? not familiar) and 4 other things right? I think I recall it as 7 in 1 or 6 in 1? :laugh:

'Splain it please?

Thanks to all for adding your thoughts on the thread! :D

I have the 6 in 1 which is missing the yoghurt setting I guess? I would bet that the 6/7 functions are generously defined (saute, steam, high and low pressure?). I use my rice cooker to cook rice as it's usually alongside the dish that's going to go with that is actually in the pressure cooker. One thing I will say is I actually don't think they are all capable of slow cooking. As far as I know they only have the one temp, and slow cooking doesn't mean like crockpot cooking when they use it but you can investigate. I saw someone plant theirs on the floor of their apartment full of water, on saute, using it as a humidifier. Maybe IP should up their functions to 8.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    @CrabNebula Is making skyr too different from making yogurt? I've wanted to try it but am a little worried about spending the money on a starter tub and rennet tablets.

No, I just do it the same way as I make Greek yogurt, but I use a skyr starter. Icelandic Provisions when I can find it, but if not, Siggis or whatever.

Something to note about skyr is that if you lengthen the incubation time to 18 hours or so, you will get cheese after straining. It is extremely thick, heavy, like having rocks in your gut after eating it. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending. I have subbed it for cream cheese in some places. Sometimes I just eat it as is because I want rocks to keep me from eating more. :tongue:
    aUfcThz.jpg

I'll need to keep the extra incubation in mind for the next batch! I made some last night from a Siggi's tub. The thickness of the stuff when I opened the pot was lovely.
    @CaliforniaAJ What a great share! Looking forward to making it, love applesauce with no sugar, never have understood why sugar is added. :smile:

Those of you that own one already or have recently purchased one on Amazon.. When you bought the IP did you buy the glass lid or a cookbook when you ordered or a warranty?

Regarding recipes there's some great ones shared on this thread, tons to look up on Pinterst, food bloggers etc. so I'm probably good there.

I think you need a glass lid if you want to use the device as a slow cooker. I have a separate slow cooker and prefer to use that for foods with recipes I wouldn't want to convert to pressure cooking, like candied nuts. I've read the IP's slow cooker temperatures are lower than newer slow cookers. I didn't buy any extra warranty, just registered my pot to their website. Facebook seems to have favorable reviews of their customer service.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I never even considered the one that can make yogurt because I would have no idea how to log the stuff...

I haven't used the glass lid yet either. I almost never use a crockpot anyway because I just don't like the texture of meat in it... I haven't tried meat in the IP though so I'm not sure if I'll like it.

I second joining the Facebook group!

Honestly the only reason I'm a bit wary to keep trying new recipes (instead of just using it for veggies/potatoes/rice/squash) is because of the smell in the ring. It's really a pain. Although I'll definitely use it for hard boiled eggs. But I will probably mostly stick to savory dishes... although it does make a great rice pudding... and I tried cheesecake but that was a fail (but probably because of the recipe. Or I'm just really picky about my cheesecake).

But to be honest it's just as easy for me to turn on the oven and bake something for 30 minutes instead (and I love that roasted taste!). The IP is just nice to avoid burned rice/water baths and all that stuff. So I'm definitely using it for my next risotto, lol.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options

Have had the IP for several months. Love it for bean soup...so good!..steel cut oats,goulash etc.Don't buy any pans,lids etc until you check what you already own.Ask me how I know :/ Tons of ppl make cheesecake.I prefer my oven for baking.It's all a matter of taste & preference after you try several different recipes. The "booklet" that comes with isn't the best,so you might want to look at cook books. Try Amazon for best sellers.America's Test Kitchen has a good book,but first you need to join
    the Facebook Instant Pot group. You'll find tips,recipes,all kinds of info.Save anything you like cause it's a fast moving board ...can take lots of looking to find a recipe you didn't save.

You can read the board,but need to join before you can post.

BTW,the SLO cooker function is getting more reviews,most are favorable.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I've had one for a year, the post office lost/misdelivered/stole my second one purchased black friday. Replacement is on the way to be delivered today (by UPS, Amazon is not making the same carrier choice on this one!)

• CooCooPuff
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I never even considered the one that can make yogurt because I would have no idea how to log the stuff...
    At first I would do some annoying math- make a recipe with the milk and yogurt, weigh the drained weigh and subtract the calories. I just log it as my initial starter now.

Lol, I have a separate sealing ring just for making nonsavory foods.

• CooCooPuff
    Options
    I'm going to bump this thread. After eating the Brussels sprouts I heated with some leftovers in the IP, I don't think I'm going to use the microwave for heating leftovers at home unless I'm pressed for time.

I just put what I wanted to reheat in a small oven safe bowl (mine is Let's Cook fine porcelain), wrapped the top in foil, added a cup of water to the pot, added the trivet and bowl, and set the IP to steam at high pressure for three minutes. I started it 7:16 or :17 and heard it finish in around ten minutes.

Here's where I got the idea from. I don't buy the microwave fear mongering, but Brussels sprouts microwaved never come out tasting as nice. The dish itself was also heated more evenly.