How much to run

So I was hoping I could get a little input from experienced runner here. I did some research but can't come up with a great answer for my particular situation.
I started walking months ago and eventually the goal became to do a little running. I started running and ended up with some significant leg pain that I went to PT for. Now that I do daily resistance exercises I am able to run again. My training has been really imprecise to this point. I have run one 5k race, with a time of just over 30 minutes. Pretty slow, but I ran the whole thing. This was over a month ago. I walk daily for about an hour. The course is the same most days, about 4 miles. Wednesday and Thursday I ran the whole course in about 33 minutes both times. I run pretty steadily and I'm feeling stronger, but not faster. I know If i really want to increase my endurance and speed I need to run more, but just how much more at starting is my question. I know that I can, obviously, run two 4.5 mile runs a week. How much more can I run, per week, to start with. I'm in decent shape up to this point, I can run for 35 minutes without having to stop and walk (I haven't pushed beyond that because I'm a little paranoid of re-injuring myself and being unable to run at all for a while again.)
So what's a good starting point for someone who has eased into running but it is in shape enough to run?

Replies

• Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    The general rule of thumb is to increase your long run each week by 10%. Also, start incorporating some track workouts or tempo workouts to get faster. If you want to go fast you have to start running fast.
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Okay, but if I am just starting, what is week one? 10% of nothing is nothing.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    How about start at a mile?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    There is no need for any kind of speed/tempo work when you are beginning. The risk of injury is high and the benefits are very minimal. Run slowly and increase your distance over 6-12 months then perhaps you can incorporate some speed work into your training.

Also, going from nothing to 3-4 miles may work for you now, but you may end up with over use injuries down the road because you went too fast and too far too soon.

As for what to do next, do you have a goal in mind? Is there a race you'd like to do? Maybe train for a 10k and then think about a half marathon. I would slowly build up mileage over the next couple weeks and then start training for something in the new year. Look for novice or intro training plans.

Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2016
    Joenali wrote: »

OP can already run 4 miles....

Add a 3rd day, starting at 2 miles. Might be worth slowing down your 4 miles a tad when you add in the 3rd day.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    You could afford to add a third run, as upthread start at two miles and build that to four over a month or so.

Then start adding a bit too one of those until you get to six miles, then build the other two up to six miles each.

At that point you could afford to start thinking about something a bit more sophisticated than long steady, but there isn't much value until that point.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016

OP can't already run 4 miles....

Add a 3rd day, starting at 2 miles. Might be worth slowing down your 4 miles a tad when you add in the 3rd day.

Agree.

Or if you're running 4.5 miles twice a week, you could spread those 9 miles out to 3 or 4 days a week. Lower mileage, more days should help if you're injury prone or just starting out. You'll want to be running at least 3 days a week for endurance anyhow.

When you're ready, you can add distance or time (I train by time- go "run" 30 minutes and as the distance increases, increase the time a bit). The 10% rule works, but I find there's no hard fast formula for everyone. Work in cut back weeks every 3-4 weeks.
    Example:
    week one-5 miles
    week 2- 8 miles
    weeks 3 - 4 miles
    Week 4 - 10 miles
    week 5 -6 miles

There's no reason every run can't be the same distance at the same slow pace. That's base building. Don't worry about long runs or speed work until you get comfortable with your form and distance (and stave off injury).

Jeff Galloway has some beginner plans you might want to look at. Just set your weekly mileage intentionally, don't push the distance.

As far as the 10% rule- use it if it works for you. But my opinion, is to just add a 4th running day at 1-2 miles and work from there. If you are running comfortably 3x a week, you can add 3 miles, 4x a week add 4. Just space it out. Run the same or less distance for a few weeks before adding mileage. Usually, you'll just keep running one day and know it's time to add distance or mix it up.

TL:dr
    Starting out, I personally would set a goal of 30 miles a month. Increase that by 10 miles per month as you feel able. Run at least 3x a week.

Happy running!

ETA- rest days are as important as running days. It's okay to scrap a run for recovery. Good cross training day, swim, bike, walk ect.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Okohme wrote: »
    Okay, but if I am just starting, what is week one? 10% of nothing is nothing.

Well, you can already run four...how many miles total are you running in a week...increase that distance by 10% next week and so on and so forth.

There are also a myriad of structured running programs out there that you could look into.
  • Okohme
    Philtex wrote: »
    Mine (and many others') usual advice to someone starting to run is to follow the C25K plan, but you are already there. Google 'Bridge to 10K' - that is the follow-up program. BTW, I don't consider just over 30 minutes for a 5K 'pretty slow'. You did great!
    Thanks! I just feel like the Pokey Little Puppy. lol At least I'm steady! Reading on the Bridge to 10k now.

dewd2 wrote: »
    There is no need for any kind of speed/tempo work when you are beginning. The risk of injury is high and the benefits are very minimal. Run slowly and increase your distance over 6-12 months then perhaps you can incorporate some speed work into your training.

Also, going from nothing to 3-4 miles may work for you now, but you may end up with over use injuries down the road because you went too fast and too far too soon.

As for what to do next, do you have a goal in mind? Is there a race you'd like to do? Maybe train for a 10k and then think about a half marathon. I would slowly build up mileage over the next couple weeks and then start training for something in the new year. Look for novice or intro training plans.

Good luck.

The thing I was least clear on is the fact that It's not really "from nothing" I walk 5 or 6 miles a day and was running some, then stopped and just lately I've been throwing some jogging back in, this week I ran my little 5k course (the course I designed for myself looping around my neighbourhood just happened to come out around 5k) 3 times. So, while I haven't really been doing any running to speak of, I have been getting 60min+ cardio daily for like six months now.
    I would like to run a 10k as my next goal. There is one in March I thought I might shoot for, that would give me plenty of time, I would think, even over the winter when a good deal of my running may end up being on a treadmill.
  • Okohme
    You could afford to add a third run, as upthread start at two miles and build that to four over a month or so.

Then start adding a bit too one of those until you get to six miles, then build the other two up to six miles each.

At that point you could afford to start thinking about something a bit more sophisticated than long steady, but there isn't much value until that point.

I will try that next week, I think. I already did 3 runs this week at ~3 miles, so I'll call that good to avoid tempting injury.
    I'm not entirely clear on your meaning in the last sentence of your post. Do you mean more sophisticated training methods?
  • Okohme
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Agree.

Or if you're running 4.5 miles twice a week, you could spread those 9 miles out to 3 or 4 days a week. Lower mileage, more days should help if you're injury prone or just starting out. You'll want to be running at least 3 days a week for endurance anyhow.

When you're ready, you can add distance or time (I train by time- go "run" 30 minutes and as the distance increases, increase the time a bit). The 10% rule works, but I find there's no hard fast formula for everyone. Work in cut back weeks every 3-4 weeks.
    Example:
    week one-5 miles
    week 2- 8 miles
    weeks 3 - 4 miles
    Week 4 - 10 miles
    week 5 -6 miles

There's no reason every run can't be the same distance at the same slow pace. That's base building. Don't worry about long runs or speed work until you get comfortable with your form and distance (and stave off injury).

Jeff Galloway has some beginner plans you might want to look at. Just set your weekly mileage intentionally, don't push the distance.

As far as the 10% rule- use it if it works for you. But my opinion, is to just add a 4th running day at 1-2 miles and work from there. If you are running comfortably 3x a week, you can add 3 miles, 4x a week add 4. Just space it out. Run the same or less distance for a few weeks before adding mileage. Usually, you'll just keep running one day and know it's time to add distance or mix it up.

Starting out, I personally would set a goal of 30 miles a month. Increase that by 10 miles per month as you feel able. Run at least 3x a week.

Happy running!

ETA- rest days are as important as running days. It's okay to scrap a run for recovery. Good cross training day, swim, bike, walk ect.

Just to clarify, the 30 miles a month is ONLY RUNNING, yes? I can sub in my daily power walks or stair stepping or whatever, on days I don't run?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member

Agree.

Example:
    week one-5 miles
    week 2- 8 miles
    weeks 3 - 4 miles
    Week 4 - 10 miles
    week 5 -6 miles

Happy running!

Just to clarify, the 30 miles a month is ONLY RUNNING, yes? I can sub in my daily power walks or stair stepping or whatever, on days I don't run?

Do it as you see fit. I count all my deliberate miles in my monthly mileage goal, walks and runs. Mostly because I train with walk breaks Incorporated, half mile-2 mile run, 0.1 mile walk, repeat. So either way works.

This month I'm nearing 60 miles, all walking (recovering from surgery). As I'm able, I'll replace the distance with some running as I return.
  • Okohme

Agree.

Example:
    week one-5 miles
    week 2- 8 miles
    weeks 3 - 4 miles
    Week 4 - 10 miles
    week 5 -6 miles

Happy running!

Do it as you see fit. I count all my deliberate miles in my monthly mileage goal, walks and runs. Mostly because I train with walk breaks Incorporated, half mile-2 mile run, 0.1 mile walk, repeat. So either way works.

This month I'm nearing 60 miles, all walking (recovering from surgery). As I'm able, I'll replace the distance with some running as I return.

I mean, I walk about 35 miles a WEEK at this point, so I'm guessing I should probably just convert some of that into running by and by.
  • dewd2
    Mine (and many others') usual advice to someone starting to run is to follow the C25K plan, but you are already there. Google 'Bridge to 10K' - that is the follow-up program. BTW, I don't consider just over 30 minutes for a 5K 'pretty slow'. You did great!
    Thanks! I just feel like the Pokey Little Puppy. lol At least I'm steady! Reading on the Bridge to 10k now.

Good luck.

The thing I was least clear on is the fact that It's not really "from nothing" I walk 5 or 6 miles a day and was running some, then stopped and just lately I've been throwing some jogging back in, this week I ran my little 5k course (the course I designed for myself looping around my neighbourhood just happened to come out around 5k) 3 times. So, while I haven't really been doing any running to speak of, I have been getting 60min+ cardio daily for like six months now.
    I would like to run a 10k as my next goal. There is one in March I thought I might shoot for, that would give me plenty of time, I would think, even over the winter when a good deal of my running may end up being on a treadmill.

Keep in mind walking does not equal running. Nothing prepares you for running but running. Starting up doing several miles after not doing any (or very little) running can lead to injuries down the road. It is best to start off slow and stick to a structured program. Many don't and pay for it later (trust me on this ;) ).
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    I wonder how you got injured. Striking the ground with your heal puts a lot of stress on your joints. Striking mid- foot to front foot will have your calves absorb some of that impact.
  • Okohme

Good luck.

Keep in mind walking does not equal running. Nothing prepares you for running but running. Starting up doing several miles after not doing any (or very little) running can lead to injuries down the road. It is best to start off slow and stick to a structured program. Many don't and pay for it later (trust me on this ;) ).

So what do you recommend in terms of starting miles?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,723 Member
    Start out running every other day for 30 or so minutes, at a slow and easy pace. There is a program called One Hour Runner that you might use to get your mileage up to 6 or so miles. It essentially adds 5 minutes a week to one or more of your runs. You don't have to do a 10 minute mile pace, just run at whatever pace allows you to carry on a conversation without gasping for breath. If you really like your four mile loop, then start with a 5 minute walk, then run 30 or 40 minutes, and walk the rest to cool down. I like having a variety of routes, but it's up to you whether you want to find some new routes as you increase your mileage.

You can walk on your off days, or in addition to your runs. I have a big dog and I walk 2-3 miles every day, with a once a week longer hike in addition, and I run 5 days a week. I think the walking helps keep me loose after hard runs.
  • dewd2
    edited November 2016
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    I wonder how you got injured. Striking the ground with your heal puts a lot of stress on your joints. Striking mid- foot to front foot will have your calves absorb some of that impact.

Who are you asking?

And please show me the evidence that this is the case (heel strikers that is). Plus, who here is talking about form? Very confused.....
  • dewd2

Good luck.

So what do you recommend in terms of starting miles?

Just a general 'take it easy' type thing. You already can run several miles, just don't try to add to them too quickly. Get used to running 3-4 miles once a week and add 2-3 other shorter runs in between. Then up the short and long runs slightly.

Check this plan out from Hal Higdon for a 10k race. Follow it loosely as long as you feel good. Or you could check out the Bridge to 10k as was already suggested.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program