Paleo to fix health issues??

I recently started eating paleo and I am amazed at how full I feel. I'm not concerned about calories as long as I'm eating the right foods.
I have fibromyalgia and an abundance of mental health issues (including binge eating disorder). Paleo seems like the only way to feel better.

What I'm looking for is some new friends to share paleo recipes, success stories and support and motivation. Anyone who is trying to better their health through the foods they eat (paleo or not).

Anyone else here tried paleo to fix health issues? Any success?

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I'm on the Autoimmune paleo protocol, and last Friday was my 6 month mark. I have experienced some positive stuff within the first few weeks, and just last week I've seen significant improvement in my symptoms. I still have to track calories because I have to gain weight while eating low carb as well (around 100g net carbs daily). I am loving this diet right now, my family tried some of my food the other day, and they raved at how delicious it was haha! I don't feel deprived thankfully.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Nothing wrong with eating a certain way if it makes you feel better, however, in terms of weight you do still need to be aware of calorie intake because that's the only thing that matters for weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance. I've hung out on a couple paleo/primal forums and there were quite a few people who struggled with weight gains since switching to this kind of woe. 'Right kinds of foods' does not cancel out needing to eat the right amount of calories. In my own experiment with paleo years ago, I gained several pounds and had to abandon it because I developed some health issues with that way of eating.

Good luck to you as you navigate through your health issues, I have an aunt to has fibromyalgia and it's really rough ~hugs~
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited November 2016
    I just started reading on this diet a couple weeks ago and have been living it the past two years pretty much and must admit I have never felt better than I do today
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    @Hamsibian I keep looking at aip but it looks like it encourages eating a lot of vegetables which are a huge no no for me :(
  • josh6466
    josh6466 Posts: 2 Member
    From what I have learned and understand from my doctor, there is no one diet that will fix your health issues. Certain low carb regimes seem to have some very good health benefits, but the overarching theme is find a diet you can stick with and roll with it. And no diet will work if you aren't allowed to cheat just a little bit. I took Keto too far and gained a lot of weight when some very stressful things happened in my life, in part because I was a little *too* keto. Here's to trying it again in moderation.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    @Hamsibian I keep looking at aip but it looks like it encourages eating a lot of vegetables which are a huge no no for me :(
    Yeah, vegetables are a tough one for us!! I have to eat them cooked and super soft like steamed or roasted. Forget about broccoli and cauliflower, plus I have to keep some like carrots at a minimum. I can't eat anything raw at all. If I remember, you can handle starchy carbs and grains...those are no no's for me. I miss rice. Crohn's stinks!
  • amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    I vote for primal paleo. It has changed our lives and we've never felt better. However, even on the plan, you have to find what works for you. I realized I needed a piece of fruit in the afternoon while my BF did not. So still listen to your body but huge fan of primal paleo. I've had to buy all new clothes - twice!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I recently started eating paleo and I am amazed at how full I feel. I'm not concerned about calories as long as I'm eating the right foods.
    I have fibromyalgia and an abundance of mental health issues (including binge eating disorder). Paleo seems like the only way to feel better.

What I'm looking for is some new friends to share paleo recipes, success stories and support and motivation. Anyone who is trying to better their health through the foods they eat (paleo or not).

Anyone else here tried paleo to fix health issues? Any success?

So, you are doing Paelo for health reason instead of weight loss?

I ask because eating the right foods has all to do with nutrition and nothing to do with weight management. In order to lose weight you have to eat less calories than your burn no matter what type of food you eat.

I have not tried the paleo diet, but I have to eat a certain way to deal with intolerance to lactose, soy and wheat, as well as digestive issues, so I can relate. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I use food for wellness, but I'm not paleo...I just eat a lot of whole foods...Paleo is great in that it introduces people to more whole food eating...and then they go *kitten* it up by demonizing other perfectly good whole foods.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    amgerbin wrote: »
    I vote for primal paleo. It has changed our lives and we've never felt better. However, even on the plan, you have to find what works for you. I realized I needed a piece of fruit in the afternoon while my BF did not. So still listen to your body but huge fan of primal paleo. I've had to buy all new clothes - twice!

What is primal peleo?

I ask because it brought this image to mind..... :D

release-your-inner-carnivore-a-caveman-is-hunting-a-wild-boar-with-a-spear.jpg
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited November 2016
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Yeah, vegetables are a tough one for us!! I have to eat them cooked and super soft like steamed or roasted. Forget about broccoli and cauliflower, plus I have to keep some like carrots at a minimum. I can't eat anything raw at all. If I remember, you can handle starchy carbs and grains...those are no no's for me. I miss rice. Crohn's stinks!

Yes to starchy vegetables and no to grains. I can eat white carbs but whole grains kill me
  • amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

What is primal peleo?

This isn't funny SLLRunner. Eating right and getting your body in a good place is a very serious topic for people.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    There is a lot of research and study that would strongly suggest against a paleo diet for any attempt at health.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Paleo did the complete opposite for me 'issues' (IBS, mental health issues, fibro, other digestive issue, migraines).
    SLLRunner wrote: »

What is primal peleo?

This isn't funny SLLRunner. Eating right and getting your body in a good place is a very serious topic for people.
    Let's not start a fight and derail the thread. I know @SLLRunner meant no malice by posting the cartoon. She asked a valid question and tried to lighten up the post.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    There is a lot of research and study that would strongly suggest against a paleo diet for any attempt at health.

That's an awfully broad statement. Links to said research?

Disclaimer: I'm not a paleo eater - I don't believe in any diet which arbitrarily excludes foods/entire food groups, and I think the "principles" behind paleo are laughably phony and flawed - but I also think it's ridiculous to say that nobody could possibly create a healthy paleo diet.
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Well check out mic. The vegan on YouTube. He cites all his info and there is a pretty overwhelming concensus among cardiologists that paleo is not okay for arteries. Aswell as the paleo diet not really actually following what paleo man would have eaten.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited November 2016
    Well check out mic. The vegan on YouTube. He cites all his info and there is a pretty overwhelming concensus among cardiologists that paleo is not okay for arteries. Aswell as the paleo diet not really actually following what paleo man would have eaten.

I agree 100% that the paleo diet does not actually follow what paleo man would have eaten. The whole premise is silly and ridiculous.

As for asking a vegan about a paleo diet....LOL. LOLOL. Thanks, but I'll pass on a YouTube video by a vegan as an "information source". Would love to see the link to research indicating that there's an "overwhelming consensus among cardiologists that paleo is not okay for arteries". If it's that overwhelming, surely there's plenty of published literature about the research leading to those conclusions.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Did you folks know that humans ate plant foods thousands of years ago?

Yes, we know. Which is why classic "Paleo" encourages the eating of plenty of non-starchy plant foods.

And yes, yes, we know that calling the diet "Paleo" was a bit shortsighted and unfortunate. Which encourages the posting of hilarious cartoons featuring cavemen chasing warthogs with targets painted on their asss. To innocently lighten up the mood of course.

Paleo is just a poorly named elimination diet which, scientifically or anecdotally, improves the mental and physical health of the vast majority of its loyal adherents. Sigh. But carry on with the thread.

"Scientifically or anecdotally"?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Did you folks know that humans ate plant foods thousands of years ago?

Yes, we know. Which is why classic "Paleo" encourages the eating of plenty of non-starchy plant foods.

And yes, yes, we know that calling the diet "Paleo" was a bit shortsighted and unfortunate. Which encourages the posting of hilarious cartoons featuring cavemen chasing warthogs with targets painted on their asss. To innocently lighten up the mood of course.

Paleo is just a poorly named elimination diet which, scientifically or anecdotally, improves the mental and physical health of the vast majority of its loyal adherents. Sigh. But carry on with the thread.

You see, the thing is...you can have a very healthy diet that includes a lot of whole foods and whatnot...and you don't need some weird name to go by and you don't have to demonize and eliminate certain whole foods which are also perfectly healthy and good for you...

And actually, there are some legit medical concerns with Paleo and the amount of meat they eat...my BIL has been paleo for years...he's still overweight and has some major cholesterol issues...anecdotally...

but sigh...carry on.