Paleo to fix health issues??

Replies

• amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Did you folks know that humans ate plant foods thousands of years ago?

Yes, we know. Which is why classic "Paleo" encourages the eating of plenty of non-starchy plant foods.

And yes, yes, we know that calling the diet "Paleo" was a bit shortsighted and unfortunate. Which encourages the posting of hilarious cartoons featuring cavemen chasing warthogs with targets painted on their asss. To innocently lighten up the mood of course.

Paleo is just a poorly named elimination diet which, scientifically or anecdotally, improves the mental and physical health of the vast majority of its loyal adherents. Sigh. But carry on with the thread.

You see, the thing is...you can have a very healthy diet that includes a lot of whole foods and whatnot...and you don't need some weird name to go by and you don't have to demonize and eliminate certain whole foods which are also perfectly healthy and good for you...

And actually, there are some legit medical concerns with Paleo and the amount of meat they eat...my BIL has been paleo for years...he's still overweight and has some major cholesterol issues...anecdotally...

but sigh...carry on.

Then he should have been working with a doctor, if not multiple, as well. I don't believe that Paleo gave him the issues. Sorry - not buying it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    amgerbin wrote: »

Yes, we know. Which is why classic "Paleo" encourages the eating of plenty of non-starchy plant foods.

And yes, yes, we know that calling the diet "Paleo" was a bit shortsighted and unfortunate. Which encourages the posting of hilarious cartoons featuring cavemen chasing warthogs with targets painted on their asss. To innocently lighten up the mood of course.

Paleo is just a poorly named elimination diet which, scientifically or anecdotally, improves the mental and physical health of the vast majority of its loyal adherents. Sigh. But carry on with the thread.

You see, the thing is...you can have a very healthy diet that includes a lot of whole foods and whatnot...and you don't need some weird name to go by and you don't have to demonize and eliminate certain whole foods which are also perfectly healthy and good for you...

And actually, there are some legit medical concerns with Paleo and the amount of meat they eat...my BIL has been paleo for years...he's still overweight and has some major cholesterol issues...anecdotally...

but sigh...carry on.

Then he should have been working with a doctor, if not multiple, as well. I don't believe that Paleo gave him the issues. Sorry - not buying it.

Well, he didn't have them before...and he's ignoring them now...'cuz paleo.

I take it you're a paleo crusader...that's another issue I have with the diet...the religious zealotry that comes with it and the notion that it's infallible...
  • amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    And...it was the cardiologist that suggested Paleo. To support her findings after testing. Again, each individual's situation is unique. Blanket statements about what works across the board are not right and neither are statements telling people that what they are doing is not legitimate. You don't know the entire story. Original poster was looking for support. Get over yourselves.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    And...it was the cardiologist that suggested Paleo. To support her findings after testing. Again, each individual's situation is unique. Blanket statements about what works across the board are not right and neither are statements telling people that what they are doing is not legitimate. You don't know the entire story. Original poster was looking for support. Get over yourselves.

You're missing the point...you can "eat right" and it doesn't need some name like paleo or primal paleo or whatever...just eat more whole foods...

This was my OP on the subject...
    I use food for wellness, but I'm not paleo...I just eat a lot of whole foods...Paleo is great in that it introduces people to more whole food eating...and then they go *kitten* it up by demonizing other perfectly good whole foods.

One of my major issues with Paleo is that they actually demonize certain whole foods...

I eat a substantially plant based diet and I'm healthy as *kitten* for it...yet many of the things I routinely eat are "devil" foods from this so called super healthy diet.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    If you click on Groups up in the the top menu, then search for paleo, there are a LOT of paleo oriented groups on MFP. It's not for me, but if you think it helps you, go for it.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,411 Member

Right on. Paleo Critics at MFP routinely brag about their superior health on the threads. All while eating measured amounts of frosted layered cake, fast food hush puppies and chicken fried rice - because they're completely in control and all and want the world to know it. Also don't forget they're hiking mountains, lifting mammoth barbells while scantily clad and biking 20 miles a day....

You forgot to add, "in the snow, uphill, both ways...

They love to remind us of this while posting pics to back it up.

What's fundamentally distasteful about the above is that people interested in Paleo, and those who choose to adhere to it, are often not in the best of health and make themselves vulnerable by admitting it on the discussion boards. And the Paleo Critics always jump in Paleo threads to declare that Paleo is unnecessary, stupid, poorly named, funny and potentially unhealthy. And anecdotally demonic. Every. single. time.

You realize this describes adherants as well as critics. Same with Atkins, South Beach, etc. Adherants and critics do the same thing for pretty much all fad diets. Bacon diet people, too (or did Janet Evonavich just make that up? Hard to tell with some of the fad diets that pop up).

• Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    You should eat the way that makes you feel great.

I eat low carb because it makes me feel great. Lots of people jump on that as being a fad, unnecessary, etc. It's unfortunate that people can't just be accepting. Paleo isn't my cup of tea (I do have an AI disease) but I think it's ridiculous for people to ridicule others for their choices. I don't see paleo as "demonizing" foods. Low carbers are often accused of this as well. There is a huge swath of space between "Oh my gawd you'll die if you eat that--you're so EVIL" and "Meh, I avoid X, Y, and Z because that's how I like to eat". I see Paleo as just one WOE that seems to work for many people.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016

but sigh...carry on.

I had to quit my paleo eating experiment after a. began gaining weight b. developed some pretty intense digestion problems, which I did not have prior to eating that way and c. it led to a very distorted and unhealthy mindset towards food and I found myself on a slippery slope towards orthorexia. I quit following that woe after family intervened and talked some sense into me. If you've had success with this woe than sure, keep doing it. But, just because you haven't had issues with it doesn't mean others haven't.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited November 2016
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I vote for primal paleo. It has changed our lives and we've never felt better. However, even on the plan, you have to find what works for you. I realized I needed a piece of fruit in the afternoon while my BF did not. So still listen to your body but huge fan of primal paleo. I've had to buy all new clothes - twice!

What is primal peleo?

I ask because it brought this image to mind..... :D

release-your-inner-carnivore-a-caveman-is-hunting-a-wild-boar-with-a-spear.jpg

This isn't funny SLLRunner. Eating right and getting your body in a good place is a very serious topic for people.

Oh please, it's humor to go with the question, which you have no answered. ;):)

What IS primal paleo, please?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Paleo did the complete opposite for me 'issues' (IBS, mental health issues, fibro, other digestive issue, migraines).
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I vote for primal paleo. It has changed our lives and we've never felt better. However, even on the plan, you have to find what works for you. I realized I needed a piece of fruit in the afternoon while my BF did not. So still listen to your body but huge fan of primal paleo. I've had to buy all new clothes - twice!

What is primal peleo?

I ask because it brought this image to mind..... :D

release-your-inner-carnivore-a-caveman-is-hunting-a-wild-boar-with-a-spear.jpg

This isn't funny SLLRunner. Eating right and getting your body in a good place is a very serious topic for people.
    Let's not start a fight and derail the thread. I know @SLLRunner meant no malice by posting the cartoon. She asked a valid question and tried to lighten up the post.

Thank you. Indeed this is very true, there is no ill intent intended. :)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I thought the cartoon was funnny. People on paleo facebook groups post stuff like that all the time. MFPers, it's okay to have a sense of humor. Laughing = decreasing stress = totally paleo.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Just here for the measured portion of frosted layer cake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2016

"Scientifically or anecdotally"?

Yeah. That's what I said.

What does that mean? I would understand what you meant if you wrote "scientifically and anecdotally," but are you saying that you don't even know whether or not the evidence for mental and physical health improvement is based in scientific evidence or anecdotes?
  • janejellyroll

What does that mean? I would understand what you meant if you wrote "scientifically and anecdotally," but are you saying that you don't even know whether or not the evidence for mental and physical health improvement is based in scientific evidence or anecdotes?

Really what it means is that I'm not digging for double blind, academically published, peer reviewed studies from an international medical research journal and posting the links to support my position like I'm co-starring as an ADA in a courtroom scene from an episode of CSI.

You know how it is around here and all that malarkey JelleyRoll Janey. With all the smart alecks yelling out "HEY, that study better have been done on HUMANS and not RODENTS!" and the cross examinations and such

But anyone who's interested in the efficacy of Paleo could buy THIS wonderful paleo book from Amazon.com
    https://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Miracle-Stories-Health-Transformation/dp/1480286346/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480526035&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Paleo+Miracle+50+Real+stories

Nothing fancy Jellyroll. Just real stories from real people who did Paleo and were better off for it - and rather dramatically so :smile:

Is there a reason why you address me as "JelleyRoll Janey" and "Jellyroll"? You seem annoyed with me and I'm not sure why. I was curious to know what you mean by "scientifically or anecdotally" and if you don't want to address the question, you can simply ignore it. Altering my screenname like that, well, it feels kinda hostile and demeaning.

I think I understand what you mean -- that you believe that there is scientific evidence demonstrating that the Paleo diet results in improved physical and mental health but you don't want to locate the studies to post them here and instead will refer me to a published collection of anecdotes. Thank you for taking the time to explain.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016

Really what it means is that I'm not digging for double blind, academically published, peer reviewed studies from an international medical research journal and posting the links to support my position like I'm co-starring as an ADA in a courtroom scene from an episode of CSI.

You know how it is around here and all that malarkey JelleyRoll Janey. With all the smart alecks yelling out "HEY, that study better have been done on HUMANS and not RODENTS!" and the cross examinations and such

But anyone who's interested in the efficacy of Paleo could buy THIS wonderful paleo book from Amazon.com
    https://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Miracle-Stories-Health-Transformation/dp/1480286346/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480526035&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Paleo+Miracle+50+Real+stories

Nothing fancy Jellyroll. Just real stories from real people who did Paleo and were better off for it - and rather dramatically so :smile:

Hmmm, maybe I should write a book titled 'Paleo Nightmare: 50 Real Stories of People Who had Adverse Health Reactions to Paleo Eating.' I know there's quite a few of us who used to hang out over at MDA, who've had bad experiences with it. My husband would be so excited that I was finally using my writing degree for something other than hanging out on MFP :p
  • janejellyroll
    edited November 2016
    The fervor in the item description for the book is a bit off-putting to me: "We are all born again, and are excited to share our secret with you."

Can people feel good on a Paleo diet? I have no doubt that many people do -- I know some of them myself. But that doesn't mean that grains and potatoes are "poison" (as the promotional material for the book claims) or that people can't also feel good while including beans or oats or potatoes in their diet.

I think the truth is between the anti-Paleo and the "Paleo miracle" camps. There are going to be people who find Paleo to be a good fit for their lifestyle and food preferences. Although I personally think they restrict some foods needlessly, it's certainly possible to be healthy without eating those foods. For some people, going Paleo may result in better health if it results in them meeting more of their nutritional needs or eliminating foods that don't make them feel their best. But is Paleo *required* for health? No. It's possible to feel great and meet your nutritional needs while eating foods that Paleo eliminates. (Assuming, of course, that one isn't eating foods that provoke an allergy/intolerance).
  • janejellyroll

Is there a reason why you address me as "JelleyRoll Janey" and "Jellyroll"? You seem annoyed with me and I'm not sure why. I was curious to know what you mean by "scientifically or anecdotally" and if you don't want to address the question, you can simply ignore it. Altering my screenname like that, well, it feels kinda hostile and demeaning.

I think I understand what you mean -- that you believe that there is scientific evidence demonstrating that the Paleo diet results in improved physical and mental health but you don't want to locate the studies to post them here and instead will refer me to a published collection of anecdotes. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

You and I have corresponded on MFP before. Always in a civil fashion if my memory serves me correctly. I did post once that in the 9th grade that a boy who had a crush on me started calling me Jellyroll in my Consumer Economics class after I wore a pair of tight tan chinos with a slit back pocket. So maybe you thought I was making fun of you. And maybe I was just a smidgen but not with any significant hostility or with a true desire to demean you.

Jellyrolls are actually one of my favorite desserts but they aren't Paleo. And when I stop eating them, this pesky rash on my forehead and on the little strip of skin between my eyebrows goes away. Medical science has offered me no satisfying explanation for it and nothing more than a completely ineffectual topical cream to treat the condition. Paleo cures it although it takes two months of back to back adherence. Just sayin'.

But was your question rhetorical given the divided and back and forth nature of the thread? Or were you sincerely interested, in a protective or tutorial way, whether I had any actual scientific understanding of the effects of Paleo or if anecdotal accounts were enough for me?

Oh, I remember you telling me that.

My question was based in sincere interest as to what you meant by that phrase. I wasn't involved in the thread before that point and I'm not evaluating your scientific understanding. I was trying to fully understand what you were communicating, not judge what was enough for you.
  • janejellyroll
    The fervor in the item description for the book is a bit off-putting to me: "We are all born again, and are excited to share our secret with you."

Can people feel good on a Paleo diet? I have no doubt that many people do -- I know some of them myself. But that doesn't mean that grains and potatoes are "poison" (as the promotional material for the book claims) or that people can't also feel good while including beans or oats or potatoes in their diet.

I think the truth is between the anti-Paleo and the "Paleo miracle" camps. There are going to be people who find Paleo to be a good fit for their lifestyle and food preferences. Although I personally think they restrict some foods needlessly, it's certainly possible to be healthy without eating those foods. For some people, going Paleo may result in better health if it results in them meeting more of their nutritional needs or eliminating foods that don't make them feel their best. But is Paleo *required* for health? No. It's possible to feel great and meet your nutritional needs while eating foods that Paleo eliminates. (Assuming, of course, that one isn't eating foods that provoke an allergy/intolerance).

Yeah okay. I feel the same way about veganism. Some people feel terrific on a vegan diet. I feel awful going vegan and I've tried it many times, for months at a stretch over the years. Too bad. Because for ethical reasons, I think it's of the highest order and I'd love to not have to be even indirectly responsible for the killing of any animal. But, for selfish reason concerning my own feelings of optimal physical wellbeing, I'll be eating meat and I've made my peace with it.

But you don't see me going into vegan and vegetarian threads telling everyone that eating vegan and vegetarian isn't necessary for one reason or another.

If someone claimed that meat was "poison" or that avoiding meat or dairy was a requirement for good health, I would think it would be completely appropriate (and accurate) for a non-vegan to note that it wasn't true. I would expect a thread here called "Vegan to fix health issues" to include some back-and-forth similar to what we have seen in this thread.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    I did Paleo, years ago, when I had what we thought at the time was fibromyalgia (it was a misdiagnosis that was later found out to be psoriatic arthritis).

It really did nothing for me.

At the time, it was a good fit because it eliminated a lot of foods that I needed to from my breastmilk for my sensitive, colicky infant. Other than that, there was no benefit to it.
  • janejellyroll

Yeah okay. I feel the same way about veganism. Some people feel terrific on a vegan diet. I feel awful going vegan and I've tried it many times, for months at a stretch over the years. Too bad. Because for ethical reasons, I think it's of the highest order and I'd love to not have to be even indirectly responsible for the killing of any animal. But, for selfish reason concerning my own feelings of optimal physical wellbeing, I'll be eating meat and I've made my peace with it.

But you don't see me going into vegan and vegetarian threads telling everyone that eating vegan and vegetarian isn't necessary for one reason or another.

If someone claimed that meat was "poison" or that avoiding meat or dairy was a requirement for good health, I would think it would be completely appropriate (and accurate) for a non-vegan to note that it wasn't true. I would expect a thread here called "Vegan to fix health issues" to include some back-and-forth similar to what we have seen in this thread.

The OP of this thread said nothing about poison nor did she claim that Paleo was a cure all for all people or all ailments. She specifically asked for responses from people who adhered to Paleo and noticed an improvement of a health ailment or an overall feeling of improved health. For God's sake.

I wasn't referring to the OP -- I was referring to the claims in the book.

That said, if someone said that veganism seemed like the only way to feel healthy (similar to what was in the OP), I wouldn't be surprised to see someone question that and I wouldn't necessarily find it inappropriate.

I think I understand your irritation overall, but I am not sure why it is directed at me right now. If I've upset you, I am not sure how but I do want to apologize.