Egg in porridge/oatmeal...anyone tried it?

Options
As tittle really...has anyone added egg, whether it be a whole egg or egg white to their breakfast porridge?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it, but I'm worried i'll end up with a bowl of porridge with scrambled eggs mixed through it :confounded:
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do it regularly. I add it last when everything else is cooked and stir it well for a minute or so, then it cooks in the porridge and doesn't turn into scrambled eggs or weird textured lumps. I use whole egg, I'm not going to waste the yolk, that's the tastiest part.

My favourite porridge (I post this often!):
    - Oatmeal with half milk/half water and grated carrot.
    - Cooked until the oats and carrot are soft, add grated zucchini, grated cheese, finely chopped chilli (optional).
    - I cook this for a minute or two till the cheese is melted and mixed in, then add the egg and stir it up for a minute or two.
    - Then I usually put it in a bowl and let it sit for a few minutes (or while I have a shower) so it cools and thickens a bit more.

Or you can go the congee route (rice porridge but I use oatmeal) - oatmeal cooked with water and or milk. Top it with nuts, chopped boiled egg or a fried egg, splash of soy sauce and chilli sauce or chilli flakes.
    I've also cooked up a few mushrooms, diced capsicum etc and served that over the top of plain porridge with a fried egg on top.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it, but I'm worried i'll end up with a bowl of porridge with scrambled eggs mixed through it :confounded:

Me too! Ugh!
  • povic1705
    povic1705 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i'd like to tast it now :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Yup, I do it regularly. I add it last when everything else is cooked and stir it well for a minute or so, then it cooks in the porridge and doesn't turn into scrambled eggs or weird textured lumps. I use whole egg, I'm not going to waste the yolk, that's the tastiest part.

- Cooked until the oats and carrot are soft, add grated zucchini, grated cheese, finely chopped chilli (optional).
    - I cook this for a minute or two till the cheese is melted and mixed in, then add the egg and stir it up for a minute or two.
    - Then I usually put it in a bowl and let it sit for a few minutes (or while I have a shower) so it cools and thickens a bit more.

Or you can go the congee route (rice porridge but I use oatmeal) - oatmeal cooked with water and or milk. Top it with nuts, chopped boiled egg or a fried egg, splash of soy sauce and chilli sauce or chilli flakes.
    I've also cooked up a few mushrooms, diced capsicum etc and served that over the top of plain porridge with a fried egg on top.

Good Lord.. Very interesting :smiley: I've never associated oatmeal with savoury, I always add ingredients to sweeten it up.

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »

Good Lord.. Very interesting :smiley: I've never associated oatmeal with savoury, I always add ingredients to sweeten it up.

Google savoury oatmeal and you will find oodles of recipes. I think I got started down this path after enjoying congee for breakfast many times on holiday in Asia and thinking that I'm sure those flavours would work for porridge too, after all, oats don't have much flavour on their own, they certainly aren't sweet.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I do/did, when I'm in the mood for oatmeal pancakes. Oatbread served with scrambled eggs.

spyynnn5ncew.jpg

** Cannot find my oatmeal crepes pics. :/
    *** Have eaten/ do eat oatmeal porridge style - cardamom, ginger, cinnamon & cream cheese & pine nuts (no milk) with poached eggs. If I want a sweet bite, I'd add dried goji or cranberries. My sister adds vanilla almond milk & maple syrup to her's, on top of my listed ingredients.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have and it's not as bad as you would think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like to add a fried egg to steel cut oats and mix it up. I like runny yolk and how it flavors the egg. I will add sauteed vegetables too.
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I put two poached eggs on my oatmeal everyday, I love it. I cook them seperately
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I put a runny fried egg on Oatmeal that's cooked with a tablespoon of soy sauce and a squirt of Sirachi. Add some cashews too.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I've done a baked oatmeal where it was mixed in, that was nice, with fruit and such. I tried the savoury oatmeal with some brussel's sprouts and a poached egg like I saw on Pinterest and it was very confusing. Not sure I'd do it again.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've done a baked oatmeal where it was mixed in, that was nice, with fruit and such. I tried the savoury oatmeal with some brussel's sprouts and a poached egg like I saw on Pinterest and it was very confusing. Not sure I'd do it again.

Why people add brussel sprouts to ANYTHING confuses me :confounded: Vile little creatures, they are.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    spitapot81 wrote: »
    As tittle really...has anyone added egg, whether it be a whole egg or egg white to their breakfast porridge?

Absolutely. Savory oatmeal is awesome. I like mine with salt and pepper, bacon and avocado. (and a sunny side up egg on top)
    If you think of oatmeal as... morning rice... you can get very creative with it. You eat rice with egg don't you?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I make a variety of savory oatmeal on the weekends...this one is a bacon, cheddar, and fried egg and it's delicious...

edible-mosaic-savoryoatmealcropped_0.jpg

I also really like mushrooms in my oatmeal...

clean-eating-savory-oatmealcropped_0.jpg

Google savory oatmeal and you'll get a million ideas...
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I also really like mushrooms in my oatmeal...

clean-eating-savory-oatmealcropped_0.jpg
    This looks awesome!

• CajunTess
    CajunTess Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I put a over-easy fried egg over grits, with salt and pepper, and sometimes a little cheese. Yummy!
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Used to do it daily. Not all that flavorful but made those egg whites go down smooth.
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've done it. Crack an egg into the oats while boiling and stir. It comes out like egg drop soup. When I do that I like to shake some BBQ rub into them for flavor.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Why people add brussel sprouts to ANYTHING confuses me :confounded: Vile little creatures, they are.

Aww, send me your brussels sprouts, Christine. I will take them off your hands! I love them. But not in oatmeal.