Keeping mind off unhealthy food

Options
13»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I think there's nothing wrong with telling kids or spouse that there are not going to be any chips or ice cream at a constant basis at the house...because it's a problem for a family member. Not that they can't have chips at school, or at a friend's house, or at Grandma's, or maybe eating out once in a while. Usually people can adapt to this better than we think they can especially if it's not a blanket ban, just a reduction in availability.

It's no different than not being able to have a cat because a family member has severe allergies.

Kids don't need cookies and chips in moderation, after all. And even if they're healthy, it's not good for them.

If my spouse *asked* me if I would stop buying something because it was a problem for him, I would certainly consider it and it's likely I would do it. If he *told* me that I could no longer keep a certain food in the house, I would be quite annoyed.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I think there's nothing wrong with telling kids or spouse that there are not going to be any chips or ice cream at a constant basis at the house...because it's a problem for a family member. Not that they can't have chips at school, or at a friend's house, or at Grandma's, or maybe eating out once in a while. Usually people can adapt to this better than we think they can especially if it's not a blanket ban, just a reduction in availability.

It's no different than not being able to have a cat because a family member has severe allergies.

Kids don't need cookies and chips in moderation, after all. And even if they're healthy, it's not good for them.

If my spouse *asked* me if I would stop buying something because it was a problem for him, I would certainly consider it and it's likely I would do it. If he *told* me that I could no longer keep a certain food in the house, I would be quite annoyed.

This is what i was getting at. To be fair, they don't *need* them. And if OP can't control herself around them and seemingly cant have a small portion size, I don't see it as being unreasonable for this to be a request.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    As a family, we keep (most of) the "junk" out of the house a conclusion we decided on as a family. Mostly because we will eat all the junk first leaving the other whole foods to spoil.
    Sometimes though you just need potato chips with ice cream asap, we have to go to the store pick it up and bring it home and we do. We bring home smaller portions, the amount enough for everyone to share.
    We call junk food, sometimes food. Nothing is off limits, eat healthy most of the time and fit the sometimes food in. For us it's usually the weekend because we are so busy during the week.
    It's really fun to learn to make some of your favorite junk foods from scratch if you have the means and time. Although we haven't been able to recreate a Cheeto.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    nagdha wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies. I can't quit buying cookies and chips as my husband n kid devour it.
    How did u all get that moment when u were able to say ' that's enough' to yourself instead of munching. I really want to be mindful but I feel stressed rather than being happy about making healthy choices.

Before I open a bag of chips, or have some chocolate or some ice cream, I log it. I've already checked that it fits the day/week, but I log it before I eat it. Seems to be the last thoughtful chance to say "do I really want this or am I just bored". Same for alcohol. If I'm going to have a drink, I log it before I pour it. So far it is working for me.

Don't have kids so won't comment on the rest of the discussion.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If I want a snack that falls into the "junk food" category, I start by looking at the nutrition facts. Sometimes that's enough to make me think "Nope, not worth it today." If it is worth it, I measure out an appropriate amount- sometimes this is one serving, sometimes it's a half serving, etc. Then I take my treat to another room, enjoy it, and that's the end. No guilt, no binging (usually!) I do this a lot with Cheez-Its because I like a little crunchy snack after work, to hold me over until dinner. I measure out a half serving, and eat one at a time. This works for me, but may not work for others. I'm a firm believer in taking others' advice, but ultimately finding what works for the individual.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    We have chips, candy, ice cream, etc in our house weekly. I put them out of sight.
    I bake cookies and things for my family. I divide them up into baggies with our names on them. You don't eat more than your share.
    I have my own stash of dark chocolate kisses. I let one melt in my mouth instead of just chewing and swallowing. Really savoring the taste.
    I plan my snacks and eat stuff I like. I don't feel stressed out.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    How do you distract yourself when you crave for junk foods?

I eat the said junk food I crave.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In my experience I like to either eat smaller portions of said "junky" foods, Emulate the foods i can't fit into my calories, or the foods i just absolutely cannot control myself around i don't keep them around/make them more difficult to get.

You can start by having more enticing beautiful foods around the house that you want to eat. Think things like this:
    2065655740_47d7c055d8.jpg
    Product_Listing_SnackCups_Chocolate_SF_Pud@2x.jpg
    ChocolateDippedClementines-1-600x900.jpg

etc. etc. etc.

So to recap, eat delicious foods you love. If you have one food item you can't fit into your calories, try to make a lower calorie version of it. If you can't moderate certain foods, don't keep them around. Try and keep more enticing calorie friendly foods around instead.

Just a side note that fruit is pretty calorie dense-I can have a cookie for less calories than say an apple. And if I'm in the mood for a cookie, all the fruit or pudding in the world isn't going to cut it-I'd just end up eating that and then still wanting the cookie :p

Lol I've done that so many times.. Gone for the healthier less calorie option, and then end up eating what I craved in the first place on top of it.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    In my experience I like to either eat smaller portions of said "junky" foods, Emulate the foods i can't fit into my calories, or the foods i just absolutely cannot control myself around i don't keep them around/make them more difficult to get.

You can start by having more enticing beautiful foods around the house that you want to eat. Think things like this:
    2065655740_47d7c055d8.jpg
    Product_Listing_SnackCups_Chocolate_SF_Pud@2x.jpg
    ChocolateDippedClementines-1-600x900.jpg

etc. etc. etc.

So to recap, eat delicious foods you love. If you have one food item you can't fit into your calories, try to make a lower calorie version of it. If you can't moderate certain foods, don't keep them around. Try and keep more enticing calorie friendly foods around instead.

Just a side note that fruit is pretty calorie dense-I can have a cookie for less calories than say an apple. And if I'm in the mood for a cookie, all the fruit or pudding in the world isn't going to cut it-I'd just end up eating that and then still wanting the cookie :p

Lol I've done that so many times.. Gone for the healthier less calorie option, and then end up eating what I craved in the first place on top of it.

Ha ha, me too. Eat three sugar-free Jell-Os, one no sugar added yogurt with REAL fruit, oooh, a celery stalk, another celery stalk, watermelon cubes, melon cubes, one string cheese, half a teaspoon of no sugar-added stir-the-jar peanut butter...and then a sleeve of Girl Scout Cookies.

Should have just eaten three freakin' cookies.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I can't quit buying cookies and chips as my husband n kid devour it.
    How did u all get that moment when u were able to say ' that's enough' to yourself instead of munching. I really want to be mindful but I feel stressed rather than being happy about making healthy choices.

I'm sorry, but, why do your children and husband need chips and cookies?

@rainbowbow THIS! I always buy chips and cookies for my family, but I'm starting to rethink this... If I can't control myself and so can't they, I shouldn't be bringing those things home in the first place. Not good for me, not good for them.

@nagdha I have figured out for myself that there are a multitude of things I enjoy eating, but only a few of them I simply cannot control myself around. So maybe don't buy it for a while until you learn to better your relationship with food, or buy smaller packages so that there isn't a big amount laying around? For me it's cookies, if there is a box I will get to the last cookie in a day or two... And it makes me so ashamed because my husband never gets to have any because I eat them all before he gets to it.

I tell myself I need to buy it so I have treats for my daughter but then she has a few, and maybe my husband has a few, and I end up eating almost the entire box...

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    How do you distract yourself when you crave for junk foods?
    I allow "junk" food in my diet daily. I don't consider it "unhealthy", I view it as food that doesn't offer much nutrition and treat it as such. I account for the calories and make sure that if I do indulge, that it's not over consumed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    What's worked for me is not labeling any kinds of foods 'junk/unhealthy'. I eat what I like and just stay within my calorie goals. Have had great success doing things this way, and I'm in excellent health with a current bmi of 21 :)

I Agree staying under calorie limit.but I have reached my calories goal and now I want to have a pack of cookies:-(
    Have to zip my mouth
    That's called discipline. And if you want to have a cookie, go out and do some extra physical activity to offset it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think about food a LOT. Probably more than I should. It took about 2 weeks before I really didn't dream of drinking a Pepsi or demolishing a bag of chips. I did a lot of reading on the mental strength needed for weight loss, and that helped elevate my thinking to muster through the cravings and temptations.

I sit just a few feet away from the candy jar for our floor in our office and it's always filled with delicious mini candy bars. I stare it down every day, and honestly I think it makes me stronger.