watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Designing my own custom pioneer
    Lever belt at the minute.

Post it up when you get it.

Currently using a 10mm inzer lever
    But feel like treating myself
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I like my lever belt. I like being able to snap off the tension quickly and plus I'm lazy AF so it's nice to be able to keep it on between sets.

As to throwing it. I still do that sometimes too.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    A love how fast you can get a lever belt off and on (theoretically, as I don't have one). I have a 4" double prong that is pretty comfy and didn't need any breaking in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015HHY17I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499006767&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dark+iron+fitness+weight+belt&dpPl=1&dpID=51UJUWafNFL&ref=plSrch

I use it when I'm about 80%+ of my 1RM. @Leajas, go by % of max and not poundage as its going to differ from person to person. Me squatting 200lbs compared to @JoRocka is a big difference. The only downside is 4" is a little wide for someone as small as me. I'm only 5", so it bumps up against my ribs.

I'd like to see your opinion if you end up getting one @JoRocka.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Other than Deadlifts and Squats, does a belt even really actually benefit for lifting? I'm asking a serious question, I personally think that belts are over used in the gym lol.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Other than Deadlifts and Squats, does a belt even really actually benefit for lifting? I'm asking a serious question, I personally think that belts are over used in the gym lol.

They can help for overhead work as well, if you have issues cueing to stay tight. The weight put overhead is obviously much lighter, but due to being extended out, can make you waver pretty badly if you get even the slightest bit loose.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I have a lever one right now, but as of late haven't had to use my belt as often since I'm not doing a lot of max lifting. This "getting old" thing is making me pay more attention to my quality of lifting versus how much I can lift.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member

They can help for overhead work as well, if you have issues cueing to stay tight. The weight put overhead is obviously much lighter, but due to being extended out, can make you waver pretty badly if you get even the slightest bit loose.

oh yea true
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    The only downside is 4" is a little wide for someone as small as me. I'm only 5", so it bumps up against my ribs.
    You can buy 3.5", 3", 2.5" belts. Custom made width as well. Some people even find using a deadlift belt helps in certain cases.

Im 6'3" and 4" is too wide for me because of how I'm built. I tore my intercostal muscles in my rib cage right before my last meet because the belt bumped and squeezed the bottom of my ribs in the hole.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Designing my own custom pioneer
    Lever belt at the minute.

Post it up when you get it.

Currently using a 10mm inzer lever
    But feel like treating myself

yep- mine was definitely a "treat yor self" belt- it's got lettering on the back and a powder coated lever with engraving on that. definitely indulged.

I think they are wildly over used- there was a guy who was walking on the deadmill with his on the other day- and I was SO. confused.

I actually use mine predominately for squats- occasionally dead (not my favorite) but I haven't really migrated on to bench- but I hear it can help.

A large chunk of the numbnuts who lift think it's for protecting your back- when it's not. so yeah- over used- and misunderstood.