What do you make for dinner when you are alone?

Options
13»

Replies

• louloubi
    louloubi Posts: 6
    Options
    well I'm going to try that recipe...looks good
  • LolliLouUk
    LolliLouUk Posts: 172
    Options
    I just do some kinda fish (salmon, bass, trout etc) , couscous and a bit of salad. Takes about 10 minutes
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I live by myself and LOVE cooking for one. At the moment my son is back from University and he is blowing both my grocery budget and my leftovers strategy :laugh:

George Foreman is my best friend. Steak, chicken, gammon, pork chops - it all cooks so quickly. Trying to cure my jerk paste addiction though :tongue: Then I make big bowls of quinoa or I roast a head of broccoli, steam bag of veg (not so keen on these though), salads - loads and loads of veg for bulk. I tend to slow cook big batches of stew type things and stick them in portions in the freezer.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I call 867-5309 and ask for Jenny... actually, I eat the same whether WonderWife is here or not. Just cook less for one person. Variety can be healthy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Fish...

Because no one else in the house will eat it and I have a ton!!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Honestly if my husband doesn't cook something, I'll go with a bowl of cereal and yogurt, or some popcorn, or chips and salsa. I completely revert back to my college days if there isn't a regular meal! LOL
  • sanifr
    sanifr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump... great ideas
  • Bindathomas
    Options
    Seriously i'm on diet & would like to prefer vegetarian foods.
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I live alone so it's most nights!

Usually, it's couscous with either fish (salmon, or just rediscovered tuna (steak, not from the tin) or chicken breast. I will generally make the couscous a little more interesting and add a dash of chilli pepper to it and / or sundried tomato, chopped small, and ditto chargrilled artichoke (Sainsbury's (UK) do a nice one). And drop a little bit of red cabbage (either braised that I've made myself) or store-bought in vinegar - love that because it gives a bit of zing.

The last few days, while we're having a heatwave (!!!) dropped the couscous, sundried tomatoes & artichokes and had the chicken with chopped fresh tomatoes (the ones that *really* taste like tomatoes, cos there's no point to them otherwise...) and chopped cucumber, and have low-cal cottage cheese, still with the red cabbage and add gherkins in vinegar on top.

I cook up a stack of chicken fillets a couple of times a week so they're all ready to go, ditto a big bowl of couscous so they just need to be zapped in the microwave.

That's the go-to staple(s).

Or I'll have a couple of ryvita (with either the fruits or seeds) and have them with ham and cottage cheese, and sliced cucumber.

I'm fortunate in getting free meals at work, so go for the healthiest option on offer, or fresh salad ... today it was ham salad.
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm always alone :(
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I live alone too so im always cooking for one - and I'm enjoying my new gas grill.

Last night I had grilled Lemon chicken, grilled veggie skewers (sweet peppers and onions), and 2 ears of corn on the cob. A plate full of food for under 500 cals, and one of my favorite meals.
  • bren102257
    Options
    I like to use a baked potato as the base and whatever else I can find in the fridge. Last night it was sauteed baby bella mushrooms, and some plain greek yogurt on top. It was so yummy
  • blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Even if its just me, I usually make a full meal and just use the left overs for lunch the next day. But when I'm alone and tired, I usually just use a tortilla, fat free pizza sauce, little bit of cheese, turkey pepperoni, and any veggies that I want and bake it. Its delicious, fast, and tastes just like a thin crust pizza. Delicious!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    A hunk of meat and some veggies.

11 oz of boneless pork chop and 1 cup of broccoli = 388 Cals, 6 g carbs, 12 g fat, and 65 g protein. Of course, those macros come out to 392 Cals, but it's still under 400. If you add some butter or olive oil, then it's a little higher.

Boo. Yah.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is out of town this week also and I've been making egg white omlettes with spinanch and feta cheese with a slice of wheat toast....pretty good stuff.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese and veggies or fruit, or my "homemade" version of a protein shake: ice, 1% milk, crunchy peanut butter, 1 tsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp sugar--tastes like a chocolate/peanut butter milkshake.
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Dumpling soup. 4 chinese dumplings or however many is a serving for the brand you buy. 1 cup of beef broth, shredded carrots, onion, and broccoli if I have it. Cook the veggies in the broth, add the dumplings 4 minutes before it is done, and voila. I used PF changs chicken and vegetable dumplings about 300 calories for this soup.

Tonight was a vegetable stir fry with one fried egg and a garlic sesame ginger sauce. 1 frozen stir fry mix, 1 can of water chestnuts, 1 beef bullion, water, 2tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp central market sesame ginger salad dressing. Cook until warm. Scramble an egg into, put lid on skillet and cook over low heat until egg is set. This is a lot of veggies so even cracking two whole eggs and cooking until set would also work. I really couldn't taste the egg. Mine was 419 calories with 1 egg.

I also agree with allison on grilled cheese, only mine is with tomato soup. 1 of those 100 calorie sandwich rounds, a slice of what ever cheese I have. I cook it on the george foreman grill, so i can skip butter, and eat it with soup! About 300 calories for an awesome dinner!
  • Beachcrazy57
    Beachcrazy57 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds very tasty