Alcohol

Options
Can you drink a beer or two almost everyday and still lose weight if you exercise and watch what you eat?

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If you fit it into your calorie goal, than yes. For weight loss, calorie count is what matters.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Is drinking a beer or two everyday really that important in a very short period of your life you are trying to lose weight, and improve your health?

Dont worry, someone further down in this thread will tell you you are fine - you can drink as much beer as you want, as long as it fits your calories.
    Someone will probably also point out that you dont need to exercise to lose weight.

• gboybama
    gboybama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Of course. Just eat really filling low calorie food and maintain a caloric deficit.

It's going to be more difficult than going without, of course, since booze is calorie dense and doesn't do much to satisfy your hunger.
  • JustMary82
    JustMary82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ditto to above. I will say though when I drink (even just one or two drinks), I tend to make bad food choices. Not saying you're like me, but I find I retain more water and go over my calorie goals with alcohol. Alcohol is the reason I am at a standstill (scale-wise) right now. It's hard being a party animal
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well, I will say this...and I say it as a "drinking enthusiast"...yes you can lose weight drinking a couple beers, etc everyday...but I've always had the most (and I would say easiest) success when I cut it out during the week.

I'm in a cut right now and the only thing I've really changed is that I'm not drinking during the week...fat is melting off my *kitten* like butter on hot toast...

So, yes, you can...but IMO, it can make things more difficult...but perhaps that is because one or two beers for me usually leads to one or two more and more probable than not, shots of bourbon as well. For some reason I also always crave cheese too and will just nibble on it without my thought or awareness...my wife used to call me her "boozy mouse."
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    gboybama wrote: »
    Of course. Just eat really filling low calorie food and maintain a caloric deficit.

It's going to be more difficult than going without, of course, since booze is calorie dense and doesn't do much to satisfy your hunger.

I think this can vary a lot between individuals. If I have a glass of wine or beer before dinner, I find that it often blunts my hunger.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from alcohol during the week. However, if I do feel like having a drink then I'll have red wine instead of beer. It's way less calories and if I really wanted to I could fit a whole bottle of red wine into my calories for the day.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Of course you can as long as it fits into your calorie. But personally for me I can't stop at one or two so I chose to not drink at all because before i know it I will go way over my calories on alcohol.
  • z4oslo
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    Is drinking a beer or two everyday really that important in a very short period of your life you are trying to lose weight, and improve your health?

Dont worry, someone further down in this thread will tell you you are fine - you can drink as much beer as you want, as long as it fits your calories.
    Someone will probably also point out that you dont need to exercise to lose weight.

What is the point of this post?

Do you disagree that one will lose weight in a calorie deficit even if one is drinking beer?

Do you disagree that one can lose weight without exercise?

If OP brought the question to the doctor. You think the doctor would say: Sure, as long as it fits your calories?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Do you disagree that one will lose weight in a calorie deficit even if one is drinking beer?

If OP brought the question to the doctor. You think the doctor would say: Sure, as long as it fits your calories?

Why not?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I have never had a doctor tell me that I must eliminate alcohol, that isn't standard medical advice. If OP has a medical condition or a potential abuse issue, her doctor may well recommend that she eliminate alcohol from her diet. But there's no indication that is going on here.

Do you disagree that one will lose weight in a calorie deficit even if one is drinking beer? OP's question was if one could lose weight while drinking beer. You seem to want to substitute a different question so that you can provide a specific answer.
  • z4oslo
    Options
    The sheer stupidity of this forum ....
    Anyway OP, you got the answer you wanted.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

You really haven't explained why. Are you just trying to have an argument? Or do you have an actual, reasoned argument for no alcohol?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options

Yes, they would. If a person asks if they can lose weight while drinking a beer or two a day, then the answer is yes, as long as you stay in your deficit. There is no need to scold the OP for wanting to drink alcohol in moderation. It is not "unhealthy" to have an occasional drink. They can also lose weight without exercising. Although exercising is good for you and it will allow you to have a few more calories each day. But if you stay at a calorie deficit it isn't required for weight loss.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I run 20+ miles a week I can still lose weight. Less than that I gain or maintain.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes, she wanted to know if it is possible to lose weight even if one consumes beer. She received that answer. Again, it seems like you want to answer a completely different question.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

I'm guessing your a prohibitionist or something....

Here was my answer...
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Well, I will say this...and I say it as a "drinking enthusiast"...yes you can lose weight drinking a couple beers, etc everyday...but I've always had the most (and I would say easiest) success when I cut it out during the week.

I'm in a cut right now and the only thing I've really changed is that I'm not drinking during the week...fat is melting off my *kitten* like butter on hot toast...

So, yes, you can...but IMO, it can make things more difficult...but perhaps that is because one or two beers for me usually leads to one or two more and more probable than not, shots of bourbon as well. For some reason I also always crave cheese too and will just nibble on it without my thought or awareness...my wife used to call me her "boozy mouse."

I think it pretty much covers the bases...I definitely think it's easier to cut when you cut out the booze...but it's not impossible...I lost most of my initial weight while still drinking most nights...sure, probably not the healthiest thing in the world as I'm not always an alcohol in moderation kinda guy...but you can still lose weight while drinking alcohol...

And, if the OP can truly contain that to one or two, there is actually a lot of evidence that actually show health benefits to drinking in alcohol in moderation...

But like I said...likely you are a prohibitionist...