Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do you treadmill runners do it!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    SLLeask wrote: »
    The roads where I live are really hilly and uneven and gravelly, I LOVE the treadmill. I like to listen to loud music, stare at the blank wall in front of me, zone out and do my thinking... without worrying of I'm going to slip on gravel or twist my ankle in a pot hole! :D

I agree -- it can be a nice change of pace. I like running in the city where I live, but it's also great to have runs where I don't have to worry about cars or random people trying to talk to me. You can turn off all the parts of your mind that are focusing on safety and your surroundings and really get into the run.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I have a TV show that I haven't seen yet and want to watch but will only watch it while I'm using it. I do enjoy the running but it's easy to drift mentally on the treadmill.

Also consider that road/track running and treadmill running use your muscles in surprisingly different ways. You gotta get used to that, too.
  • michael_hatten
    michael_hatten Posts: 34 Member
    I do incline intervals. I keep more or less the same pace but I vary the incline up and down. I break the time into 1/4 mile segments. On the higher inclines I focus on making it to the end; on the lower inclines I catch my breath and prepare for the next high incline interval. It breaks the distance into short challenges that add up to a longer exercise. The inclines really amp up the calorie burn and my perspiration rate so I feel like I accomplished something.

I used to set a speed and crank along on a 2% grade but that was very boring. Varying the grade from 4 to 10 keeps it exciting.
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    I run on the treadmill 5 to 6 times a week for 60+ minutes. At first I kept looking at the time and driving myself crazy, like you said just hoping the time was over. The I found this book called the Ultimate Treadmill Workout, and now I love running on the treadmill. It teaches you how to use speed intervals and inclines and that makes the time go by much faster.
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    EricaH7 wrote: »
    I love running. I run all spring, summer, and fall. However, I am from Michigan and I am sort of a whimp. I told myself this year I am going to try not to slack off and continue to workout all winter. Usually I quit in the winter and start up again in the spring. I've been trying to go to the gym and run on a treadmill but I find I am so exhausted after a few miles! I usually can run 7-8 outdoors before I feel the way I do after 3 in the gym! I think it is just because I am so focused on watching the time and wanting to be done. I listen to music while I run. Watching tv is not an option. How do you keep yourself focused for a long run on a treadmill?

I have the same experience on the treadmill and never could figure out the difference between it and running outside. I basically endure the treadmill for shorter distances and run outside as often as possible except when it becomes unsafe to do so. Good luck!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Maybe try Zwift?
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    I love the treadmill. ;) But I tend to throw my phone on it and watch Gilmore girls, or orange is the new black. haha.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    I don't know the layout of your gym but perhaps you could choose a treadmill that is near the main walkway. If people are constantly walking by you, and possibly looking at you, then you might feel extra motivated and show them how it's done ;). I know if I pick any cardio machine that's near the wall I get borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred. Can't do it.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,437 Member
    I love running. I run all spring, summer, and fall. However, I am from Michigan and I am sort of a whimp. I told myself this year I am going to try not to slack off and continue to workout all winter. Usually I quit in the winter and start up again in the spring. I've been trying to go to the gym and run on a treadmill but I find I am so exhausted after a few miles! I usually can run 7-8 outdoors before I feel the way I do after 3 in the gym! I think it is just because I am so focused on watching the time and wanting to be done. I listen to music while I run. Watching tv is not an option. How do you keep yourself focused for a long run on a treadmill?

Watching TV is an option for me at my gym, and so I get absorbed in a show and next thing I know, I've been running for 30 or 40 minutes.

And when watching TV is not an option, I bring my phone and watch something on it.

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I usually hate the treadmill, but I still hit it before lifting so I can warm up. I find the TV really helps. I don't listen to it. I listen to iheartradio on my phone and watch the TVs. I'm weird like that, but it does help distract me.
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    Netflix is offering offline streaming starting today. Are you sure tv is not an option? TV helps me. I watch all the trashy shows my partner refuses to be subjected to at home (i.e. Vanderpump Rules!) Audio books and podcasts that I only listen to during my runs are good motivators, too.
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Listen to music.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited December 2016
    Try a fun app like Zombies, Run! It does have an accelerometer feature, so it works pretty well on a treadmill! The story missions and voiceovers are really entertaining and the zombie chases can be motivating when it comes to picking up the pace. I find it much more engaging than listening to music or passively watching TV. And you can always transfer your progress to outdoors using GPS when the weather allows.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    I'd run outside whenever possible and only use the treadmill for super cold below zero weather with really bad windchills. If you dress for it, it's really not that bad. I had a hamstring injury recently and couldn't run at all for a several weeks, so I did the Zero Runner and elliptical at my gym. It was so boring, but I'm training for a February marathon so it had to be done.

However, I'm glad to know that the Zombies Run app works on a treadmill. For those cold rainy days, I might have to try that! Otherwise, I listen to music.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    edited December 2016
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    My treadmill is in my basement in sight of my 60 inch tv. I watch the news or sport shows in the morning and will walk/run 1 or 2 periods of a hockey game when my team is playing. I'm varying what I do, but am not very fast yet. Couple of times I've just listened to something on RockMyRun, and I expect I will do that when I start outside.

No friggen way would I run at -20. And I was born in Winnipeg. :)

Edit: I wrote a lot but it didn't get posted... ? I don't want to re-write it all. :/

I'm from winnipeg too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,437 Member
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    My treadmill is in my basement in sight of my 60 inch tv. I watch the news or sport shows in the morning and will walk/run 1 or 2 periods of a hockey game when my team is playing. I'm varying what I do, but am not very fast yet. Couple of times I've just listened to something on RockMyRun, and I expect I will do that when I start outside.

No friggen way would I run at -20. And I was born in Winnipeg. :)

Edit: I wrote a lot but it didn't get posted... ? I don't want to re-write it all. :/

I'm from winnipeg too.

:)

I lived 13 years in Winnipeg.

I did cycle year round and occasionally ran in winter. But I was very glad for gyms and for my trainer (thing you put a bicycle on so you can ride your bicycle inside). I did, however, get out cross-country skiing as often as I could.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I'm not in Winnipeg any more, but in BC so it's nowhere near as cold. Just dark except when I'm working and I don't feel comfortable running in the dark. But the Jets are playing tonight so I'll use it for a couple of periods.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i listen to audiobooks on the treadmill - they suck me in much more than music ever did
  • rfamjardine
    rfamjardine Posts: 9 Member
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Personally, I love running. I used to run outside on the street asphalt and I was so relieved to switch to a treadmill. The treadmill has never become tedious for me, personally, although there have been some days where I was burned out on my music choices. I typically listen to music and let my mind wander as I run.

My suggestion would be for you to switch up your songs? I love Fall Out Boy but I only listen to them when I workout that way I have their music to look forward to, heh heh :D Maybe if you switched up your songs it'll be better for you to distract yourself!