Kids!!

Why is it that when my kids have tea and leave their chips , I always end up finishing them off!!! :(

Replies

• warcup666
    warcup666 Posts: 99 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    Because you lack self control.

How do I get it?? :(
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    Because you lack self control.

Short, sweet, to the point and accurate.
  • warcup666
    It's in your head. Start with telling yourself you won't eat the leftover chips when you go to clean them up. If you have to keep telling yourself that over and over while you are cleaning up then do it.

After several times of cleaning up the chips without eating them you will figure out that food doesn't fly into your mouth. You make the decisions to eat or not eat. Its pretty empowering.

Thank you hun!! I can do this!!!!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    warcup666 wrote: »
    It's in your head. Start with telling yourself you won't eat the leftover chips when you go to clean them up. If you have to keep telling yourself that over and over while you are cleaning up then do it.

After several times of cleaning up the chips without eating them you will figure out that food doesn't fly into your mouth. You make the decisions to eat or not eat. Its pretty empowering.

Thank you hun!! I can do this!!!!

Yes you can!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Although the above are good ideas it isn't teaching self control. One does need to learn that they control what they put in their mouth.

• warcup666
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I get it. Lots goes through one's head when food is left on the table. Those old tapes can replay and they are certainly entrenched in there.

Serve them a smaller amount of chips so they don't have leftovers. :) Kids and adults alike today eat super-ginormous portions of everything and we all seem to be terrified our kids will starve and blow over in a stiff wind if we don't stuff them. Trust me, they won't starve to death without letting us know about it, LOL. Feed them A SMALL portion of food and then give them A LITTLE more if they ask for more. And so on.

Just look at what constitutes "a little" soda today. Probably 12 oz. In the 70s we used to get a 6-oz. glass bottle of Coke and think it was the most amazing treat ever. I remember my dad - 5'11" of him - getting a burger and small fry at Burger King. As in...the hamburger, you know, that little thing? LOL. And a small fry was SMALL. That with 6 or 8 oz. of soda was a meal. Today everything is double, triple the size and we extend that to home-prepped meals as well...a full large-size plate of pasta as "a serving," several ounces at least of Doritos with a sandwich as "a serving." We have to re-think what "a portion" is...both for ourselves and for our children.

Eight or ten shoestring chips (are these french fries?) might be plenty for your little ones. Or five or six potato chips (crisps). If they're routinely leaving leftovers on the plate then you're serving them too much food.

Yeah good thinking , probably right, thank you
  • warcup666
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Well, another idea is to not have the kids eat chips. Why not have them eat healthier food too?
    Well, another idea is to not have the kids eat chips. Why not have them eat healthier food too?

They do but enjoy a non healthy meal once a week
  • warcup666
    Try chewing gum or sucking a mint while you clean up and put things away.

After a while you'll be out of the habit and won't need to do it anymore.

Yeah fab idea!! Defo guna try this one!!! X
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Get your kids to help you by getting them to dump any leftovers.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    If they regularly can't finish their food you are giving them too much to begin with. Serve less.
    Put the food away for later, throw it away or leave enough calories to account for eating these things.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member

I tried that. My son fortunately loves healthy food, thinks veggies are awesome, has never been picky. You will also only be able to pry cheddar cheese pringles from his cold dead hands. He doesn't like chocolate and refuses to drink pop, so I'll let him keep his chips.