Deciding on a big life change

Options
crimsongrey
crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
So, I am stressed about a big life choice I have to make. The decision could lead to amazing things, but there are risks that could lead to more anxiety and financial stress. When looking at my list of pros and cons, it all works out on paper. However, life has a tendency to not go as planned on paper ;) This is something I've wanted for several years, but it's not exactly as I had hoped for, but I really want it to work out, but I'm scared it won't, but....ahhhh, my head is spinning!
My question is, how do YOU deal with big life choices?

Replies

• Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Idk.... what is the choice? This anticipation is a killer
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Have no regrets.. you want to do it.. so do it!
  • Sha1911
    Sha1911 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you want to make your dreams come true, you need to be willing to take risks, otherwise you'll just be stuck where you are.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,321 Member
    Options
    I ask myself, whats the worst that could happen & am i willing for that possibility. I also try to visualize how it would be if i were doing that right now & if it's better than what i'm actually doing. I do agree to follow your dream or you might regret the what ifs later. The most important thing i do personally is pray & ask God for guidance, so even if it dosn't work out the way i thought I ask what did i learn about myself?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So, I am stressed about a big life choice I have to make. The decision could lead to amazing things, but there are risks that could lead to more anxiety and financial stress. When looking at my list of pros and cons, it all works out on paper. However, life has a tendency to not go as planned on paper ;) This is something I've wanted for several years, but it's not exactly as I had hoped for, but I really want it to work out, but I'm scared it won't, but....ahhhh, my head is spinning!

Life isn't perfect.
    If you do not take this opportunity will you regret it? Does this impact someone else or just you?
    You sound like you want this and it is just fear of what might happen holding you back. Stick to facts not fear.

I plan the best I can but you have to take risks sometimes.
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Depends on the big life choice. .moving always enjoyed that..popping the question..is she/he your best friend? Job move..money vs opportunities vs cost of living divided by friends family love..now is THE time..see u don't get more life..its finite..be true to YOU and never hurt others. .tell the truth and be kind...so what's the worst that could happen? You live!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I'd rather live with the regret of the choice maybe not working out, than live with the regret of, "What if?" If you try and fail, you will still benefit from the experience by learning a lot about yourself. If you don't try, you'll wonder about it for the rest of your life--especially in the difficult times.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've left the state, and even left the country on a whim, for months at a time, when given the opportunity. The older I get, the harder it is to make these on the fly decisions. To me, it depends on your responsibilities. I recently worked and waited for 3 years until I felt confident I could leave and do something I wanted to: I sold my house, paid off my bills, have no kids, not in a relationship, and my pets were safely taken care of. If you have responsibilities- THOSE come first.

That being said if you have an opportunity, and nothing is holding you back, go for it. The best times of my life have been when I took the risk. Even if you don't enjoy it, at least now you know you tried! A way I make these decisions is this: say it's a job/internship/study abroad/mission work/etc, and you are in the vetting process, you think "what will I do, what will I dooo?? What if I get it? Do I take it?" I say "If I get it, I will do it. That's all there is to it. If I don't get it, that's okay, too!"
    You have to make sure it's something you really want, there is no sense in wasting time applying to doing things you are not positive that you want.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    No Pressure

No Diamonds
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options

In your shoes I would ask myself which would cause me to lose more sleep.......if I took the risk and failed or if I took no risk but always wondered what the outcome would have been. Best of luck to you!
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    you can't steal second base and keep your foot on first
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    As long as you're planning and fully weighing the pros and cons, sure, go for it. Eyes wide open though. Basing a huge life change on a risky proposition sounds very glamorous, but it's also proven disastrous for some people.

Plan>weigh>decide>act, or not.