People in the higher weight ranges (say over 200lbs) just starting out: what do you do for exercise?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited December 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Just curious. :) Really this is just for fun and maybe I'll get some ideas. I've been using Zumba Core for Xbox Kinect. It's something I can do with my children at home. It's easy enough that I am able to do it (for the most part) compared to something like the 30 day shred...which I know I am not ready for because I wasn't even ready when I was thinner lol

Replies

• jeanne2121
    jeanne2121 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just started getting exercise in my life which is busy. Single mom of three and I work full time. I hit the gym and do the elliptical 45 minutes. I really would like to take a Zumba class but my confidence isn't there yet
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    jeanne2121 wrote: »
    I just started getting exercise in my life which is busy. Single mom of three and I work full time. I hit the gym and do the elliptical 45 minutes. I really would like to take a Zumba class but my confidence isn't there yet

If you don't have an Xbox 360 you can buy zumba dvds to follow at home? :) Not as much confidence needed if you're all alone!
  • eluvscats
    eluvscats Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Walking
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    At the start (245lbs) I walked, and walked, and walked. I have a dog who.loves walking and I listen to audiobooks so it was kind of relaxing. Previously I injured myself and that derailed my weight loss and I didn't want that to happen again. Later I added swimming, strength training and hiit running, so I do less walking, still walk my dog for 2 miles every morning though. So far I have lost 65 lbs.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I weighed just a tad over 200 lbs when I started, and I started by walking. There's almost no way to go wrong with it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started at 300. Walk and lift.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike, walk around the neighborhood, go hiking, lift weights.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Cycling, running, walking, hiking, and lifting weights. I live near Lake Tahoe now so I would really like to get into kayaking this summer. I might try skiing if someone can convince me I won't break anything.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I was 254lb when I took up Taekwondo. I may have been slow, but I kick like a mule.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    At 215 I hit the gym and struggled through out of breath and standing up and sitting down and using machines with minimal weight and bodyweight exercises, each week progressing under the watchful eye of an amazing trainer

And I walked

Now at goal I'm a free weight freak ..and I still walk

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I currently incline walk and run, and although I am over 200, I have been at it for a while so I'm relatively fitter than I would have been otherwise.

When I first started it was strictly walking. I got out of breath simply by walking at an average pace, so I did not feel I needed to introduce anything new as long as it was improving my cardio. When walking stopped being enough I introduced incline walking. After a while I introduced running, but did not give up the incline walking as it can still give me quite a workout at higher inclines and speeds.

I also do Wii for fun, hike, and do a few body weight exercises. I tried several exercise videos, but I just can't get into structured exercises no matter how much I try, so I gave that up. I like games, so fitness gamification interests me. I have "Zombies, Run!" and "The Walk" apps, both are interesting. "Zombies, Run!" can be used for walking and is more session based. "The Walk" is more of an all day walking app. Both have a good story and excellent voice acting.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, arc trainer, spinning, walking and lifting <3
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want to do, that you can do without injuring yourself. As you lose weight, you'll be able to do more.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I was 290lb when I started out and could barely walk across the room, so that's what I did, walked across the room, multiple times a day. Then I added a little bit more each day until a couple of months later I was ready to start at a gym, where along with some simple strength exercises I steadily added in the stationary bike, elliptical, rower, step and running. I was over 200lb when I started C25K and ran/walked my first 2 5km charity races. I was also over 200lb when I started high intensity Zumba, Boxercise and Insanity as well as when I started Stronglifts 5x5.

I am under 200lb now (182lb), but am probably doing a little less on the cardio front and more on the strength. In an ideal week I'll strength train 2x (running 5/3/1 on a 2 day split), Zumba on a Tuesday morning, Insanity Tuesday evening, Boxercise Thursday evening, C210K 2-3x week. It's very rare I get to go to all classes though (this week I've only done Zumba), and even rarer I'll get an extra day to get something extra in.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Swimming and weights.
    Can't do impact on my feet. Swimming also uses more muscles. And I don't feel myself sweating :D
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I started of with walking. Then I added some bodyweight work. Then I switched from straight walking to walk/run (C25k). Then I switched to running. Then I switched from bodyweight work to lifting weights. That progression took place over the course of 7 months and 45ish pounds lost.
  • laurenmXD
    laurenmXD Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 240 lbs and I know how hard it is, I first started to try the davina dvd and I couldn't do it at all so now I'm just walking everyday and when I can't walk I go on the wii fit. It's not the best excersize but at least I'm moving more than I usually would.
    Good luck x
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Walking. I already had one of those coat rack things in the basement so I took the clothes off it and started walking on it in front of the tv. Just starting to jog (4mph) in the last week and want to build that up. When spring comes, I plan to run outside.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I started at 250. Am now around 211-212. Walking about 10-15k steps a day has been my primary means of exercise with an attempt at getting 10 flights of stairs a day. I am now looking at adding in some other stuff. Probably things I can do at home.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    259 start. I've increased my hiking and walking, and today starting a 30 day challenge including burpees and planks etc. I have a friend who started around 200 and she has lost a ton of weight doing yoga.