Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

People in the higher weight ranges (say over 200lbs) just starting out: what do you do for exercise?

2»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I started at 210 with walking. Around 200 I started with weights, a mixture of freeweights, machines, and bodyweight. At about 165 I took up water jogging to build some cardio endurance over the summer with plans to start C25K that fall, which is exactly what I did.

Now at goal (or close to it, I keep changing my mind), I use free weights and run and still walk quite a lot.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I started at 231 swimming and walking, which is what I continue to do now at maintenance.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I was 215 at my heaviest, probably had been lifting for over a year at that weight. Added some elliptical or incline treadmill walking when I was losing and wanted some cardio, but mostly just lift.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I was over 200 when I started and walked and swam and did some weights and stationary bike (it was winter). Got back into running as soon as the weather got a bit better (March) when I was still around 200, and into biking outdoors when it was nice enough for that, but my weight didn't prevent me from biking.

So really most everything I do now, just adjusted for fitness level. I'm more likely to do fitness classes now because I'm less embarrassed about exercising in public, but that was me and kind of dumb, not something I'd recommend anyone else worry about.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    I started at 237. I bought a Fitbit and tried to hit 10,000 steps every day just walking around the neighborhood. I also used Wii Fit some. Then I bought a cheap bike from Walmart and started going on occasional rides. That bike was too big and heavy and I was to out of shape to really ride it much. I ended up buying a vintage bike and started riding more. Then, I joined the YMCA and started using the elliptical, stationary bike, and swimming some.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I started in September of 2012...I'm 5'10" male and weighed around 220 Lbs. I was pretty sedentary so initially I just focused on trying to move a little more in my daily life and also a lot of walking and focused in on my diet. I started a C25K program at the end of October of that year to help get at least somewhat prepared for my first Turkey Trot 5K that year.

By January I had joined a gym and was lifting weights a few days per week and jogging a few days per week. By spring I was jogging 5 days per week and lifting...by late spring I had gone from 220 to 175 and went into maintenance. It was at this time that I signed up for a sprint triathlon and started training for that...

I ended up getting injured and unable to participate in the event, but the silver lining in all of that was that I discovered my passion for cycling. Fast forward four years, I no longer run (I actually loath it, but that's what everyone seemed to do so I forced myself in the beginning), but I'm an avid cycling enthusiast...I average around 80 - 100 miles per week on the bike (I'd do more if I had the time) and I lift 2-3 days per week depending on the season (I lift more in the winter).

IMO, one of the biggest mistakes people make when starting out is coming out of the gate with guns a blazin'...going from the couch to all of the exercise. This generally leads quickly to burnout and/or injury. Fitness takes time to develop...you don't have to go from 0 to everything overnight.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Walking as much as you can with a weighted vest
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    I started with and still do water aerobics. Started with water aerobics 3x a week, then added 2x a week water boot camp once the class was offered. I also use the recumbent elliptical and weight machines 1x a week.

This type of exercise works well for me as a have osteo arthritis in at least one knee (likely the other as well) and was dealing with plantar fascitis in the beginning. A good workout with a lower impact that's much better for my knees.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Walking as much as you can with a weighted vest

Overweight people adding weight is one of the more ridiculous ideas I have seen on here.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Just curious. :) Really this is just for fun and maybe I'll get some ideas. I've been using Zumba Core for Xbox Kinect. It's something I can do with my children at home. It's easy enough that I am able to do it (for the most part) compared to something like the 30 day shred...which I know I am not ready for because I wasn't even ready when I was thinner lol

Do what you feel is comfortable for you to do. The important part is do it. Don't over think things too much. When in doubt, walk. Walk a mile a day to start, then go to 2, take a rest day a couple days a week, add in strength training at some point when you feel you're ready. It just takes consistency and dedication, you don't have to be a powerhouse or a runner, or a weight lifter.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    I'm 5' 8", 300 pounds. I run, walk, hike, and play tennis mostly. I also work with a trainer at a gym for strength!
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Walk/Run. They have plans to get conditioned for a half marathon over like 6 months starting at your level. Sign up for one in May now so there's no turning back, and start preparing.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    I know you tried 30 day shred but she also has biggiers shred. It's not half as hard
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    I started at 288lbs. I gasped my way through the c25k plan and found on my non running days I like to lift heavy things.
  • Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Walking I used to borrow a friends dog and walk it. Worked up to hell walking
  • CaeTroi
    CaeTroi Posts: 27 Member
    Swimming! On top of being a stable hand/groom for a dressage facility in NJ where I walk anywhere from 7 - 15 miles a day. I also enjoy walking, hiking, running, horseback riding. Once I started working at the barn my fitness increased dramatically just due to the active work that is being done.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    260 - walking, a few flights of stairs a few times a day at work, added a few squats every few days, lifted 8-10 pound dumbbells (pretty heavy at that time)

245 - zumba 2-3 times a week + walking/hiking + sporadically trying videos like belly dancing (fun!)

235 - zumba + weight machines at the gym where I took zumba + walking/hiking

215 - Boot camp classes twice a week, walking/hiking

205 - C25K, Boot camp

195 - Starting strong lifts, running/elliptical/incline walking (stupid winter weather and boring treadmills)
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Another walker here! Started at 230, down 45 and counting. The Zumba sounds fun!